PDA

View Full Version : Would you find this behavior in your mother off-putting?

chlobo
07-06-2006, 04:38 PM
So today my mom came over to play with DD. They were up in her room and I walked in and *all* of DDs clothes were all over the floor, including a bunch of stuff that I had *retired* to the closet but not yet put in a plastic container. My mother proceeds to tell me it was DDs idea (which is probably was but who opened the closed? DD can't). Then she proceeds to tell me there is a pile of stuff that is too small. In it are a bunch of pairs of pants that in fact, aren't too small, but that she doesn't like and doesn't think DD should wear. She also has a pile that is supposed to be "ironed". So not only is her room a bloody mess but now DD has in her head (as 2 year old do) that some stuff doesn't fit and that I should iron other stuff. Meanwhile, she is now wearing an 18mo. shirt which is clearly too small but this apparently doesn't bother my mother at all.

Anyhow, the more I thought about it the angrier I got. Who is she to tell me what clothes I can and cannot put on DD and who is she to fill DDs head with this crap? And who gave her permission to take everything out of the closet. That is why its in there because I don't want to see it.

It's hard enough to get DD to wear a variety of cute things (always wants to wear the same stuff) without her interfering.

chlobo
So today my mom came over to play with DD. They were up in her room and I walked in and *all* of DDs clothes were all over the floor, including a bunch of stuff that I had *retired* to the closet but not yet put in a plastic container. My mother proceeds to tell me it was DDs idea (which is probably was but who opened the closed? DD can't). Then she proceeds to tell me there is a pile of stuff that is too small. In it are a bunch of pairs of pants that in fact, aren't too small, but that she doesn't like and doesn't think DD should wear. She also has a pile that is supposed to be "ironed". So not only is her room a bloody mess but now DD has in her head (as 2 year old do) that some stuff doesn't fit and that I should iron other stuff. Meanwhile, she is now wearing an 18mo. shirt which is clearly too small but this apparently doesn't bother my mother at all.

Anyhow, the more I thought about it the angrier I got. Who is she to tell me what clothes I can and cannot put on DD and who is she to fill DDs head with this crap? And who gave her permission to take everything out of the closet. That is why its in there because I don't want to see it.

It's hard enough to get DD to wear a variety of cute things (always wants to wear the same stuff) without her interfering.

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

dules
07-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Ack! Yes, that would make me upset. Once a child that age gets the idea that something doesn't fit, or needs ironing, or is dirty, that's it.

Sorry!

Best,
Mary

dules
Ack! Yes, that would make me upset. Once a child that age gets the idea that something doesn't fit, or needs ironing, or is dirty, that's it.

Sorry!

Best,
Mary

dules

Sorry!

Best,
Mary

dules

Sorry!

Best,
Mary

dules

Sorry!

Best,
Mary

dules

Sorry!

Best,
Mary

dules

Sorry!

Best,
Mary

dules

Sorry!

Best,
Mary

dules

Sorry!

Best,
Mary

elliput
07-06-2006, 05:02 PM
I sure hope your mother likes to iron.

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

octmom
07-06-2006, 05:28 PM
That would drive me batty and I can see my own mom doing something similar, though not exactly the same. Mine would nag me about sorting through the clothes until I would finally break down and tell her to go ahead and do it. (Mine lives in another state and has to have projects when she visits. I know she is trying to help, but it can be a bit much.)

I hope your DD soon forgets about the ironing and other nonsense her grandmother put into her head. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

octmom
That would drive me batty and I can see my own mom doing something similar, though not exactly the same. Mine would nag me about sorting through the clothes until I would finally break down and tell her to go ahead and do it. (Mine lives in another state and has to have projects when she visits. I know she is trying to help, but it can be a bit much.)

I hope your DD soon forgets about the ironing and other nonsense her grandmother put into her head. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

psophia17
07-06-2006, 05:29 PM
I sure hope your mother likes irons thrown at her head...

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Point that woman toward your ironing board and tell her to get right on it!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

trumansmom
07-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Because that will make her easier to reach when you follow Petra's advice!!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

chlobo
07-06-2006, 08:45 PM
LOL. As if I have an ironing board. But I do have an iron. Who says that stuff to a toddler?

chlobo
LOL. As if I have an ironing board. But I do have an iron. Who says that stuff to a toddler?

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

saschalicks
07-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Yah! I totall agree with Petra. Maybe it will knock some sense into her. :P

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

psophia17
07-07-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't own an ironing board either, but MIL gave me an iron for Christmas two years ago...was that a hint, you think? ;)

psophia17
I don't own an ironing board either, but MIL gave me an iron for Christmas two years ago...was that a hint, you think? ;)

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

elliput
07-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Tell Mom you would love to iron everything including DH's underwear (snort) if only you had a fabulous ironing board like this one. http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp09455-0711.html But, she would have to buy it for you. ;-)

elliput
Tell Mom you would love to iron everything including DH's underwear (snort) if only you had a fabulous ironing board like this one. http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp09455-0711.html But, she would have to buy it for you. ;-)

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

psophia17
07-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Oooh! That must be the Cadilac of ironing boards!

ETA: oops - it's a pressing table, not an ironing board...and I love the new low price ;)

psophia17

ETA: oops - it's a pressing table, not an ironing board...and I love the new low price ;)

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

elliput
07-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Pressing table, ironing board. Tomato, tomato. Whatever.

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

trumansmom
07-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Sorry, but at that price it damn well better "press" my clothes for me!

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

jgriffin
07-08-2006, 02:09 PM
My thoughts exactly...for that amount of money, I want it to do the ironing for me!
I don't iron except under extreme circumstances, and when sewing. We even have a very nice iron we got as a wedding gift, and I have yet to open the box. But it's good and hefty, perfect for throwing! :)

jgriffin
My thoughts exactly...for that amount of money, I want it to do the ironing for me!
I don't iron except under extreme circumstances, and when sewing. We even have a very nice iron we got as a wedding gift, and I have yet to open the box. But it's good and hefty, perfect for throwing! :)

jgriffin

jgriffin

jgriffin

jgriffin

jgriffin

jgriffin

jgriffin

mldflygirl
07-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Soooo glad my mom isn't like that about the clothes! How frustrating!!!

Just be glad for one thing - my MIL told me that HER mother used to "encourage" her to try on ALL my husband's outfits on him EVERY day when he was a baby because that was the only way you'd know what fit any more & what didn't. Can you imagine?!?!

mldflygirl

Just be glad for one thing - my MIL told me that HER mother used to "encourage" her to try on ALL my husband's outfits on him EVERY day when he was a baby because that was the only way you'd know what fit any more & what didn't. Can you imagine?!?!

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

Melanie
07-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Oh how annoying. I guess I'm lucky my mom isn't all that into dressing kids (and thus why I've done the complete 180 with mine. LOL). I remember thinking she'd love to pick out and dress Ds when he was a baby and we stayed the night once. Nope, I finally just did it.

ANYWAY, my response to your mom is "Great! THanks mom. I really don't have time to sort the clothes for ironing, let alone do it. I'll put them in a bag so it's easier for you to take them home. Just bring them back next time you visit. I really appreciate it." ;-P

Melanie
Oh how annoying. I guess I'm lucky my mom isn't all that into dressing kids (and thus why I've done the complete 180 with mine. LOL). I remember thinking she'd love to pick out and dress Ds when he was a baby and we stayed the night once. Nope, I finally just did it.

ANYWAY, my response to your mom is "Great! THanks mom. I really don't have time to sort the clothes for ironing, let alone do it. I'll put them in a bag so it's easier for you to take them home. Just bring them back next time you visit. I really appreciate it." ;-P

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

brittone2
07-09-2006, 04:40 PM
*snort*!!!!

Yeah, I'd be ticked too.

brittone2
*snort*!!!!

Yeah, I'd be ticked too.

brittone2
*snort*!!!!

Yeah, I'd be ticked too.