PDA

View Full Version : Why would you paint interior trim weird colors????????

searchdog
07-06-2006, 09:05 PM
I don't know what the people who lived here before us were thinking. In DDs current room the trim was all painted baby blue including the door and closet doors. Well I was pregnant at the time so DH painted it all white to match all the other trim in the house. Well in the other bedroom obviously the other little boys room from the previous owners it is a dark green that now has two coats of primer on it and you can still see the green bleeding through! I want to get this room taken care of with the exception of the actual wall color so if we do end up having a second child I won't have to do all this while pregnant. Oh yeah did I mention I have to strip wallpaper in this room as well. YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!

Ok I feel better now. I just ripped the top layer off of the paper and Dh did the 2nd coat of primer (I did half of it before he offered to help). So my plan is to hopefully get the rest of the paper off tomorrow afternoon while DD naps.

Only one more room left with wallpaper in our house and we will have taken it all down. I think once we get this bedroom done I will take a few weeks off and then tackle the bathroom we have lived here 3 years so it is time for all the paper to go.

searchdog
I don't know what the people who lived here before us were thinking. In DDs current room the trim was all painted baby blue including the door and closet doors. Well I was pregnant at the time so DH painted it all white to match all the other trim in the house. Well in the other bedroom obviously the other little boys room from the previous owners it is a dark green that now has two coats of primer on it and you can still see the green bleeding through! I want to get this room taken care of with the exception of the actual wall color so if we do end up having a second child I won't have to do all this while pregnant. Oh yeah did I mention I have to strip wallpaper in this room as well. YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!

Ok I feel better now. I just ripped the top layer off of the paper and Dh did the 2nd coat of primer (I did half of it before he offered to help). So my plan is to hopefully get the rest of the paper off tomorrow afternoon while DD naps.

Only one more room left with wallpaper in our house and we will have taken it all down. I think once we get this bedroom done I will take a few weeks off and then tackle the bathroom we have lived here 3 years so it is time for all the paper to go.

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

pampamz
07-07-2006, 07:47 AM
The previous owner for our house did a similar thing -- one bedroom and one bathroom had burgundy trim and doors... ???

We replaced it all. It really didn't make any sense as the rest of the doors, trim & crown molding was painted white...wierd.

Wallpaper sucks -- sorry about that!

pampamz
The previous owner for our house did a similar thing -- one bedroom and one bathroom had burgundy trim and doors... ???

We replaced it all. It really didn't make any sense as the rest of the doors, trim & crown molding was painted white...wierd.

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

octmom
07-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I sympathize. The previous owners of our house wallpapered every inch of one of the bathrooms, including the ceiling. Then they painted the trim a shade of blue that I would not have selected myself. We've been in the house five years now and it remains. This bath is off our "master" (puny) bedroom, so no one sees it but us anyway. It slipped to the bottom of the priority list.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

octmom
I sympathize. The previous owners of our house wallpapered every inch of one of the bathrooms, including the ceiling. Then they painted the trim a shade of blue that I would not have selected myself. We've been in the house five years now and it remains. This bath is off our "master" (puny) bedroom, so no one sees it but us anyway. It slipped to the bottom of the priority list.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

babymama
07-07-2006, 02:42 PM
When I was pregnant with baby #1, DH and I picked out colors for the room. I picked light green and lilac - which (at the time) I thought were gender neutral. I had in mind painting one wall one color and maybe doing a design on the other 2 short walls (like a lilac stripe at waist level, or something). I was thinking the design through in my head, and I guess I didn;t communicate that to DH. I left one weekend to see my mom, and when I came home he had painted the room light green and painted all the trim in the room lilac including the doors and the ceiling fan - WTH? I could hardly fault him for trying so hard, but it would not have been my first choice to have painted the trim lilac.

Also, in our previous home, the previous owners had put up wallpaper with no primer underneath. So we had to un-stick all the wallpaper directly from the drywall. It was not fun.

Lydia
Mama to 2 sweet babies

Oh what fun it is to potty train & BF at the same time!

babymama
When I was pregnant with baby #1, DH and I picked out colors for the room. I picked light green and lilac - which (at the time) I thought were gender neutral. I had in mind painting one wall one color and maybe doing a design on the other 2 short walls (like a lilac stripe at waist level, or something). I was thinking the design through in my head, and I guess I didn;t communicate that to DH. I left one weekend to see my mom, and when I came home he had painted the room light green and painted all the trim in the room lilac including the doors and the ceiling fan - WTH? I could hardly fault him for trying so hard, but it would not have been my first choice to have painted the trim lilac.

Also, in our previous home, the previous owners had put up wallpaper with no primer underneath. So we had to un-stick all the wallpaper directly from the drywall. It was not fun.

Lydia
Mama to 2 sweet babies

babymama

Lydia
Mama to 2 sweet babies

babymama

Lydia
Mama to 2 sweet babies

babymama

Lydia
Mama to 2 sweet babies

babymama

Lydia
Mama to 2 sweet babies

babymama

Lydia
Mama to 2 sweet babies

babymama

Lydia
Mama to 2 sweet babies

babymama

Lydia
Mama to 2 sweet babies

searchdog
07-07-2006, 03:40 PM
At least your DH tried! I have got half the paper down at this point, my plan was to do it while DD took her nap today, well guess what no nap! I am going to have to do some drywall repair especially in the corners but overall I would have to say it is going well.

The only problem is the paint is peeling off the base boards from teh water to strip the paper so I am not sure what to do about that I will deal with that later I guess. I am just gonna have to sand some spots probably and reprime them.

searchdog
At least your DH tried! I have got half the paper down at this point, my plan was to do it while DD took her nap today, well guess what no nap! I am going to have to do some drywall repair especially in the corners but overall I would have to say it is going well.

The only problem is the paint is peeling off the base boards from teh water to strip the paper so I am not sure what to do about that I will deal with that later I guess. I am just gonna have to sand some spots probably and reprime them.

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

dr mom
07-08-2006, 07:32 PM
My mother bought a house close to ours a few months ago. Apparently the previous owners were "artsy" and had unconventional ideas about decorating.

This is the master bath:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34615.jpg

The walls are bright yellow with sparkly gold craft-paint stars and swirls, and all the trim is a shade of blue-violet. There is a sunburst motif near the ceiling...

dr mom
My mother bought a house close to ours a few months ago. Apparently the previous owners were "artsy" and had unconventional ideas about decorating.

This is the master bath:

The walls are bright yellow with sparkly gold craft-paint stars and swirls, and all the trim is a shade of blue-violet. There is a sunburst motif near the ceiling...

dr mom

This is the master bath:

dr mom

This is the master bath:

dr mom

This is the master bath:

dr mom

This is the master bath:

dr mom

This is the master bath:

dr mom

This is the master bath:

dr mom

This is the master bath:

dules
07-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Hmmm, if that were a KIDS' bath I might want to leave it but....not for my own daily routine! ;)

Best,
Mary

dules
Hmmm, if that were a KIDS' bath I might want to leave it but....not for my own daily routine! ;)

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

kijip
07-09-2006, 11:37 PM
I have a friend whose kitchen is very similar. They did it themselves. to each their own but I tend to favor solid walls too!

To the OP: I once rented a basement apartment and part of the deal was that I got the first month's rent free in exchange for painting the apartment (landlady paid for the paint) and doing a few other little repairs, including adding in some better lighting. The landlady's ex husband had painted the entire apartment with that dark grey concrete paint, including the ceilings which he had left over from painting the concrete block garage and shed. It took 3 base coats. What a PITA, so I feel your pain.

kijip
I have a friend whose kitchen is very similar. They did it themselves. to each their own but I tend to favor solid walls too!

To the OP: I once rented a basement apartment and part of the deal was that I got the first month's rent free in exchange for painting the apartment (landlady paid for the paint) and doing a few other little repairs, including adding in some better lighting. The landlady's ex husband had painted the entire apartment with that dark grey concrete paint, including the ceilings which he had left over from painting the concrete block garage and shed. It took 3 base coats. What a PITA, so I feel your pain.

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

american_mama
07-10-2006, 02:02 AM
Ok, I know nothing about decorating, but I am confused. Is there something wrong with painting trim a different color than the walls? We just finished our basement and the walls are yellow with green trim. We get lots of compliments on it. Our contractor asked us what color we wanted the trim in a way that made me think white was not a given at all.

Painting is such a popular decorating thing these days that I assumed that carried over to trim colors. Am I wrong?

american_mama
Ok, I know nothing about decorating, but I am confused. Is there something wrong with painting trim a different color than the walls? We just finished our basement and the walls are yellow with green trim. We get lots of compliments on it. Our contractor asked us what color we wanted the trim in a way that made me think white was not a given at all.

Painting is such a popular decorating thing these days that I assumed that carried over to trim colors. Am I wrong?

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

searchdog
07-10-2006, 05:03 AM
I don't know if there is anything wrong with it necessarily, it is just a major PAIN to paint over and change to a new color later. I prefer all the trim to be one color, wether it be stained, painted white or off white. I can honestly say I don't think I have ever been in anyones house where the trim was a "color" that I know of. Traditional in my opinion is for the trim to be all one color throughout the whole house, but I have no idea what is considered normal in this day and age beyond my own opinion.

searchdog
I don't know if there is anything wrong with it necessarily, it is just a major PAIN to paint over and change to a new color later. I prefer all the trim to be one color, wether it be stained, painted white or off white. I can honestly say I don't think I have ever been in anyones house where the trim was a "color" that I know of. Traditional in my opinion is for the trim to be all one color throughout the whole house, but I have no idea what is considered normal in this day and age beyond my own opinion.

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

searchdog

californiagirl
07-10-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't get it. If I go spend all my money on a house, why shouldn't I paint it whatever color I like? I mean, I get why concrete dark grey is bad, but a) I actually like the yellow and violet and sparkles and b) isn't "It's my house and that's what I want" a good enough reason for painting it any old way? I'm actually supposed to paint my house some way because that's how everybody else does it?

I can see picking easy to change stuff in a house you're going to resell, but otherwise, I just can't see why I wouldn't paint my interior trim the colors that I like -- and, knowing me, it will turn out that everybody else on the planet thinks those are weird colors.

californiagirl
I don't get it. If I go spend all my money on a house, why shouldn't I paint it whatever color I like? I mean, I get why concrete dark grey is bad, but a) I actually like the yellow and violet and sparkles and b) isn't "It's my house and that's what I want" a good enough reason for painting it any old way? I'm actually supposed to paint my house some way because that's how everybody else does it?

I can see picking easy to change stuff in a house you're going to resell, but otherwise, I just can't see why I wouldn't paint my interior trim the colors that I like -- and, knowing me, it will turn out that everybody else on the planet thinks those are weird colors.

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

megs4413
07-10-2006, 11:45 AM
i think the point is just that painting trim is an enormous pain so you better be sure you're gonna love it forever! The people that owned our house before us painted their nursery in VERY bright colors which is pretty cute, but they painted EVERYTHING..the inside of the closet, the SHELVES of the cloest all the trim, the door (and each panel a different color of the six panel door) AND even the hinges! It's just a lot to paint over since it's a girly color and we may have a boy next...do you see what I mean? If it was just the walls being a strange color it wouldn't be a big deal, but it's a PITA to paint trim...it's probably easier to just replace.

megs4413
i think the point is just that painting trim is an enormous pain so you better be sure you're gonna love it forever! The people that owned our house before us painted their nursery in VERY bright colors which is pretty cute, but they painted EVERYTHING..the inside of the closet, the SHELVES of the cloest all the trim, the door (and each panel a different color of the six panel door) AND even the hinges! It's just a lot to paint over since it's a girly color and we may have a boy next...do you see what I mean? If it was just the walls being a strange color it wouldn't be a big deal, but it's a PITA to paint trim...it's probably easier to just replace.

megs4413

megs4413

megs4413

megs4413

megs4413

megs4413

megs4413

american_mama
07-10-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't think anyone was saying someone shouldn't paint with the colors they like, just that inheriting a house with someone ELSE'S paint choices can be a pain.

That being said, I can see how some color choices would be seen by many (but not all) as ugly. Rooms that are painted super dark or super bright, or whatever. But this is the first time I have heard people indicate that trim color is a foreign idea. Maybe I'd understand it better when (if?) I ever get around to painting myself.

But the bathroom with the sparkles and yellow and violet? Sorry, Cindy, but I kind of liked it too.

american_mama
I don't think anyone was saying someone shouldn't paint with the colors they like, just that inheriting a house with someone ELSE'S paint choices can be a pain.

That being said, I can see how some color choices would be seen by many (but not all) as ugly. Rooms that are painted super dark or super bright, or whatever. But this is the first time I have heard people indicate that trim color is a foreign idea. Maybe I'd understand it better when (if?) I ever get around to painting myself.

But the bathroom with the sparkles and yellow and violet? Sorry, Cindy, but I kind of liked it too.

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

psophia17
07-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Makes me want to use the potty... ;)

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

C99
07-10-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't know. People have varying tastes and home decor goes in and out of fashion. It is a huge PITB to paint over it though. Our playroom was painted in yellow sponge paint w/ orange trim. It took 3 coats of primer on the trim and 2 coats on the walls, but it's now a very soothing pale blue w/ white trim.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34643.jpg

C99
I don't know. People have varying tastes and home decor goes in and out of fashion. It is a huge PITB to paint over it though. Our playroom was painted in yellow sponge paint w/ orange trim. It took 3 coats of primer on the trim and 2 coats on the walls, but it's now a very soothing pale blue w/ white trim.

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

nov04
07-12-2006, 09:08 PM
ITA w/ you!!!!

Our condo has 6 colours of floor moulding from previous owner.

nov04
ITA w/ you!!!!

nov04
ITA w/ you!!!!

nov04
ITA w/ you!!!!

nov04
ITA w/ you!!!!

nov04
ITA w/ you!!!!

nov04
ITA w/ you!!!!

nov04
ITA w/ you!!!!

nov04
ITA w/ you!!!!