PDA

View Full Version : My ?!@#$% DH and his !@#$ unfinished projects!

rfeibelm
07-08-2006, 01:12 PM
DH is driving me crazy! We moved into a new house at the beginning of May and there are a ton of projects that need to be done. Instead of mapping out what needs to be done, planning, and prioritizing - my DH does his usual half-a** job and starts multiple projects and never finishes.

The first was the fence. A part in the front needed to be finished off, so instead of letting me get the fence company to do it, he did it himself. Well, 2 months later the bag of cement is still sitting out there along with the leftover boards (and he still hasn't put up the brace). Today he is out putting down topsoil and mulch in the island (which by the way, didn't need any topsoil and looked OK as it was) and I just went out there to find he had dug out the grass around the mailbox to make a mulched area there too.

I'm so pissed right now I don't even know what to do. I told him that we were not half-a**ing this house and what do you know, he's doing it again. We have so many projects that I just can't even get a handle on it. We plan on remodeling the kitchen (which is gonna cost about $50,000) and painting the entire interior of the house (which I got an estimate for $16,000 since it includes all trim) so now he wants to paint himself. I've seen his painting jobs - awful! And I let him do the upstairs hall bath and it has now been half primed for over 2 weeks and where is he this weekend? Outside!

I jsut don't even know what to do. I said something to him when he came in and he just said "I don't feel like fighting" and ignored me. Please commiserate with me. I'm steaming right now!

Rachel
Benjamin
and the half-a**ed house!

rfeibelm
DH is driving me crazy! We moved into a new house at the beginning of May and there are a ton of projects that need to be done. Instead of mapping out what needs to be done, planning, and prioritizing - my DH does his usual half-a** job and starts multiple projects and never finishes.

The first was the fence. A part in the front needed to be finished off, so instead of letting me get the fence company to do it, he did it himself. Well, 2 months later the bag of cement is still sitting out there along with the leftover boards (and he still hasn't put up the brace). Today he is out putting down topsoil and mulch in the island (which by the way, didn't need any topsoil and looked OK as it was) and I just went out there to find he had dug out the grass around the mailbox to make a mulched area there too.

I'm so pissed right now I don't even know what to do. I told him that we were not half-a**ing this house and what do you know, he's doing it again. We have so many projects that I just can't even get a handle on it. We plan on remodeling the kitchen (which is gonna cost about $50,000) and painting the entire interior of the house (which I got an estimate for $16,000 since it includes all trim) so now he wants to paint himself. I've seen his painting jobs - awful! And I let him do the upstairs hall bath and it has now been half primed for over 2 weeks and where is he this weekend? Outside!

I jsut don't even know what to do. I said something to him when he came in and he just said "I don't feel like fighting" and ignored me. Please commiserate with me. I'm steaming right now!

Rachel
Benjamin

rfeibelm

Rachel
Benjamin

rfeibelm

Rachel
Benjamin

rfeibelm

Rachel
Benjamin

rfeibelm

Rachel
Benjamin

rfeibelm

Rachel
Benjamin

rfeibelm

Rachel
Benjamin

rfeibelm

Rachel
Benjamin

goodnightmoon
07-08-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm sorry. I know how frustrated you must be. Your DH sounds like me actually. I have ADHD and can't finish a project to save my life. I start a project and if I don't finish it that same day, I probably won't ever get back to it. When I was younger, I took a break from painting one day and never went back to finish the job because I'd become bored with it. I ended up with painter's tape cemented to the ceiling and walls that were painted *almost* to the trim for 3 years. Now, my husband lets me start projects, but if I don't finish them in a certain amount of time we've agreed that he can finish it himself or call in a professional. It can be frustrating for me because I always want to do it myself, my way, but I realize that I will never get to it so I have to be reasonable.

I hope that you and your DH can work something out. The number of jobs he's wanting to take on seem like they would be too much for one person to handle even if he finished them off one by one!

Laura
mommy to Eva Marie 2/16/05

goodnightmoon
I'm sorry. I know how frustrated you must be. Your DH sounds like me actually. I have ADHD and can't finish a project to save my life. I start a project and if I don't finish it that same day, I probably won't ever get back to it. When I was younger, I took a break from painting one day and never went back to finish the job because I'd become bored with it. I ended up with painter's tape cemented to the ceiling and walls that were painted *almost* to the trim for 3 years. Now, my husband lets me start projects, but if I don't finish them in a certain amount of time we've agreed that he can finish it himself or call in a professional. It can be frustrating for me because I always want to do it myself, my way, but I realize that I will never get to it so I have to be reasonable.

I hope that you and your DH can work something out. The number of jobs he's wanting to take on seem like they would be too much for one person to handle even if he finished them off one by one!

Laura

goodnightmoon

Laura

goodnightmoon

Laura

goodnightmoon

Laura

goodnightmoon

Laura

goodnightmoon

Laura

goodnightmoon

Laura

goodnightmoon

Laura

Melanie
07-08-2006, 02:12 PM
I SO hear you. A friend of mine and I have a running joke that our husbands give every project their full 95%. It's like Dh just cannot completely and 100% finish something! He did an awesome job on Dd's nursery, but never cleaned the 4 small paint drips off the floor or filled in the holes left by her old closet doors and repainted the trim. He put in new baseboards all aroudn, forgot one 4 inch piece and was content to leave it that way for 8 months until he was cutting something else. This past weekend we completely cleaned and organized our back patio and yard so it looks nice again. THen he left the container of plant food out on the table for another week. Huh?

I think they just don't get that that final 5% ruins the aesthetics of all their hard work so they may as well have not done it at all.

I *try* (and that means rarely succeed but do try) not to get caught up in "his" unfinished projects and when it's something I can do I will just bang out that last 5%.

Melanie
I SO hear you. A friend of mine and I have a running joke that our husbands give every project their full 95%. It's like Dh just cannot completely and 100% finish something! He did an awesome job on Dd's nursery, but never cleaned the 4 small paint drips off the floor or filled in the holes left by her old closet doors and repainted the trim. He put in new baseboards all aroudn, forgot one 4 inch piece and was content to leave it that way for 8 months until he was cutting something else. This past weekend we completely cleaned and organized our back patio and yard so it looks nice again. THen he left the container of plant food out on the table for another week. Huh?

I think they just don't get that that final 5% ruins the aesthetics of all their hard work so they may as well have not done it at all.

I *try* (and that means rarely succeed but do try) not to get caught up in "his" unfinished projects and when it's something I can do I will just bang out that last 5%.

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Lovingliv
07-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Yup, this is my post. Written about me. I am awful about finishing something and I always want to start something new.
I do have ADD and have not been medicated in almost three years. I am seriously surprised that I can get out of bed in the morning. What is worse? DH is ADD too!!!!

I hope it gets better for you Rachel!!!

Lovingliv
Yup, this is my post. Written about me. I am awful about finishing something and I always want to start something new.
I do have ADD and have not been medicated in almost three years. I am seriously surprised that I can get out of bed in the morning. What is worse? DH is ADD too!!!!

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

BaileyBea
07-08-2006, 05:23 PM
When we moved into our house DH did the same thing! I would yell "A-D-D!" when he was getting off track. He drove me nuts and it's was a very stressful time for us.

We sat down and made a huge list of all the projects by priority and our "Dream" list of projects. Each New Years day over breakfast we look at last years list and write a new list for the new year. It's become a tradition now and now there are much fewer things on the list.

Good luck!

BaileyBea
When we moved into our house DH did the same thing! I would yell "A-D-D!" when he was getting off track. He drove me nuts and it's was a very stressful time for us.

We sat down and made a huge list of all the projects by priority and our "Dream" list of projects. Each New Years day over breakfast we look at last years list and write a new list for the new year. It's become a tradition now and now there are much fewer things on the list.

Good luck!

BaileyBea

Good luck!

BaileyBea

Good luck!

BaileyBea

Good luck!

BaileyBea

Good luck!

BaileyBea

Good luck!

BaileyBea

Good luck!

BaileyBea

Good luck!

Momof3Labs
07-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Are you married to my DH's long-lost brother? I could have written this post for you, except our projects are different. I don't know how many times my DH has dropped one project that needed to get done to do something else (such as clean out the garage... again). I left him alone for four days in May 2005 to work on a small number of projects to get our house ready to sell, and came back to find that he accomplished so little - it was unbelievable. And mowing the lawn? It's a 3-4 hour process - for our small lot - because he keeps on getting distracted by other things.

Yet he is capable of doing his job, so can it be something like ADD or ADHD? I don't *think* so.

Momof3Labs
Are you married to my DH's long-lost brother? I could have written this post for you, except our projects are different. I don't know how many times my DH has dropped one project that needed to get done to do something else (such as clean out the garage... again). I left him alone for four days in May 2005 to work on a small number of projects to get our house ready to sell, and came back to find that he accomplished so little - it was unbelievable. And mowing the lawn? It's a 3-4 hour process - for our small lot - because he keeps on getting distracted by other things.

Yet he is capable of doing his job, so can it be something like ADD or ADHD? I don't *think* so.

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs