PDA

View Full Version : Potty training is just about the hardest thing I've done as a mom....

CiderLogan
07-09-2006, 01:33 PM
We are only two days into PT'ing, but it's the most frustrated I've been with parenting. DD is almost three and has to be PT'd by the time she starts preschool 8/21, so we only have six weeks. So of course I'm worried about that (lots of potential lost $$ if she isn't allowed to attend), and DH and I are at each other's throats because we're stressed, unsure whether we're doing it right, tired (sitting on the bathroom floor and reading a million books is more exhausting than it sounds), and cooped up at home (because we can't go out and risk DD peeing everywhere).

Our strategy has been to make an alarm sound every 30 minutes, then we go sit with her at the potty. But she resists sitting on it every time. And so far she's had two accidents and two successes (not a bad ratio, but they have been very hard-won). We basically have to force her to stay on the potty when we can tell she's about to go, and she cries and seems miserable while she's going. After she does go, though, she's very happy again and is pleased to get a piece of candy (yes, I feel a bit guilty about that) as a reward. She's proud to be wearing panties and understands that she is supposed to keep them dry, but the peeing itself is a huge ordeal for her. Plus, she manages to go really long times (today from the time she woke up before 8 until 1:15) without peeing, which I guess means she's holding it in, which isn't good. And she hasn't pooped at all since we starting PT'ing yesterday morning. She is still in pull-ups during nap and in bed, so we figure she'll just hold the poop until then. Poor kid.

Anyway, that got long, but it feels good to gripe about it! Tomorrow we're going to try a new strategy: "you have learned how to use the potty, and now we're not going to bug you about it any more - you should just go whenever you feel the need" to try to take away the stress. Then we are hoping she might enjoy it more when it's *her* decision to go or not. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks for reading this,
Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/27/03
...and Clara, 5/23/06 - SHE'S HERE!!

CiderLogan
We are only two days into PT'ing, but it's the most frustrated I've been with parenting. DD is almost three and has to be PT'd by the time she starts preschool 8/21, so we only have six weeks. So of course I'm worried about that (lots of potential lost $$ if she isn't allowed to attend), and DH and I are at each other's throats because we're stressed, unsure whether we're doing it right, tired (sitting on the bathroom floor and reading a million books is more exhausting than it sounds), and cooped up at home (because we can't go out and risk DD peeing everywhere).

Our strategy has been to make an alarm sound every 30 minutes, then we go sit with her at the potty. But she resists sitting on it every time. And so far she's had two accidents and two successes (not a bad ratio, but they have been very hard-won). We basically have to force her to stay on the potty when we can tell she's about to go, and she cries and seems miserable while she's going. After she does go, though, she's very happy again and is pleased to get a piece of candy (yes, I feel a bit guilty about that) as a reward. She's proud to be wearing panties and understands that she is supposed to keep them dry, but the peeing itself is a huge ordeal for her. Plus, she manages to go really long times (today from the time she woke up before 8 until 1:15) without peeing, which I guess means she's holding it in, which isn't good. And she hasn't pooped at all since we starting PT'ing yesterday morning. She is still in pull-ups during nap and in bed, so we figure she'll just hold the poop until then. Poor kid.

Anyway, that got long, but it feels good to gripe about it! Tomorrow we're going to try a new strategy: "you have learned how to use the potty, and now we're not going to bug you about it any more - you should just go whenever you feel the need" to try to take away the stress. Then we are hoping she might enjoy it more when it's *her* decision to go or not. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks for reading this,
Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/27/03

CiderLogan

Thanks for reading this,
Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/27/03

CiderLogan

Thanks for reading this,
Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/27/03

CiderLogan

Thanks for reading this,
Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/27/03

CiderLogan

Thanks for reading this,
Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/27/03

CiderLogan

Thanks for reading this,
Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/27/03

CiderLogan

Thanks for reading this,
Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/27/03

CiderLogan

Thanks for reading this,
Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/27/03

TaChapm
07-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Congratulations on making the huge step to potty train. It can be really frustrating.

We had a big prize (garbage truck that Jackson had wanted) for the first time he went potty and then I had several multicolored bags with small prizes in them for the rest of the time. I had money, matchbox cars, candy, colors, bubbles etc. in the bags. We tried to give him the candy after he used the potty but it didn't work well for us. I had a jar of tootsie pops in the bathroom and we would give him one each time we sat him on the potty. I know it sounds gross but it was the only way we could get him to relax while sitting on the potty. Once we started doing this he started using the potty much faster and didn't fight us. You just have to do what works for you. I would also let him pick out the color of bag he wanted while sitting on the potty and we would talk about what might be in it. It would get his mind off of us forcing him to sit on the potty.

We also had another big prize for the first time he pooped. It took a few days for him to do it but once he finally go over the fear he had no problem. It took us 2 days of hard work and it was done. We continued with the prizes for about a week and phased them out slowly. Within a week he was going without us taking him and hasn't looked back since then. FWIW Jackson had never used the potty until we started in and showed no signs of being ready but he made it.

I hope things get easier for you all. It is frustrating but so worth it.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
Baby Jaci...Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/sJmVm7.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

TaChapm
Congratulations on making the huge step to potty train. It can be really frustrating.

We had a big prize (garbage truck that Jackson had wanted) for the first time he went potty and then I had several multicolored bags with small prizes in them for the rest of the time. I had money, matchbox cars, candy, colors, bubbles etc. in the bags. We tried to give him the candy after he used the potty but it didn't work well for us. I had a jar of tootsie pops in the bathroom and we would give him one each time we sat him on the potty. I know it sounds gross but it was the only way we could get him to relax while sitting on the potty. Once we started doing this he started using the potty much faster and didn't fight us. You just have to do what works for you. I would also let him pick out the color of bag he wanted while sitting on the potty and we would talk about what might be in it. It would get his mind off of us forcing him to sit on the potty.

We also had another big prize for the first time he pooped. It took a few days for him to do it but once he finally go over the fear he had no problem. It took us 2 days of hard work and it was done. We continued with the prizes for about a week and phased them out slowly. Within a week he was going without us taking him and hasn't looked back since then. FWIW Jackson had never used the potty until we started in and showed no signs of being ready but he made it.

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

TaChapm

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

TaChapm

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

TaChapm

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

TaChapm

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

TaChapm

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

TaChapm

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

TaChapm

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

Momof3Labs
07-09-2006, 03:11 PM
I agree that the week we went to underwear cold turkey with DS (end of May) was one of the longest weeks I've lived through. I really wondered what the heck I had gotten myself into, having babies, ya know? But we persevered, and after a week of reminding him frequently, we backed off considerably, and he took over. Now he does it all himself - can even do a full poop himself (set up toilet, potty seat and stool, all the way to wiping and washing his hands). I honestly never thought we'd get here, but we did!

So, hang in there - if she is ready, next week should be a completely different experience for you. If she's still having significant trouble in a week, then try backing off completely and give it another try in a few weeks.

Momof3Labs
I agree that the week we went to underwear cold turkey with DS (end of May) was one of the longest weeks I've lived through. I really wondered what the heck I had gotten myself into, having babies, ya know? But we persevered, and after a week of reminding him frequently, we backed off considerably, and he took over. Now he does it all himself - can even do a full poop himself (set up toilet, potty seat and stool, all the way to wiping and washing his hands). I honestly never thought we'd get here, but we did!

So, hang in there - if she is ready, next week should be a completely different experience for you. If she's still having significant trouble in a week, then try backing off completely and give it another try in a few weeks.

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

alexsmommy
07-09-2006, 03:48 PM
So sorry it's so hard.
Just a suggestion - try "nakkie training". It just seems to work so much better for so many of my parents (I'm a therapist) and myself. DS wore nothing from the waist down around here for three days straight. He seemed to get it immediately as opposed to not really seeing a different between diapers and underwear (we did use diapers at nap and bedtime). It's hard staying in the house but worth it. The few times we did go out (across the street to play outside - no where without an immediate potty) I put him in really loose shorts with nothing under them to continue the sensation of no diaper. We set the alarm for every 45 minutes and he had to try - but still got a small reward weather we met with success or not. Then when he did have accidents (which are inevitable), we didn't make a big deal about it. We didn't chastise him, we tried very hard to not sound disappointed - and we had him help clean up saying "Oops, you forgot - ok, let's clean up the pee pee). We never had a poop accident (thank goodness) and he was fully trained in two weeks. Oh, on days three to seven he wore loose shorts, no undies to grandma's while I worked. Each day we lengthened the amount of time between potty attempts. After a week with 85% success we put him in underwear. Good luck! She will get potty trained.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
So sorry it's so hard.
Just a suggestion - try "nakkie training". It just seems to work so much better for so many of my parents (I'm a therapist) and myself. DS wore nothing from the waist down around here for three days straight. He seemed to get it immediately as opposed to not really seeing a different between diapers and underwear (we did use diapers at nap and bedtime). It's hard staying in the house but worth it. The few times we did go out (across the street to play outside - no where without an immediate potty) I put him in really loose shorts with nothing under them to continue the sensation of no diaper. We set the alarm for every 45 minutes and he had to try - but still got a small reward weather we met with success or not. Then when he did have accidents (which are inevitable), we didn't make a big deal about it. We didn't chastise him, we tried very hard to not sound disappointed - and we had him help clean up saying "Oops, you forgot - ok, let's clean up the pee pee). We never had a poop accident (thank goodness) and he was fully trained in two weeks. Oh, on days three to seven he wore loose shorts, no undies to grandma's while I worked. Each day we lengthened the amount of time between potty attempts. After a week with 85% success we put him in underwear. Good luck! She will get potty trained.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
So sorry it's so hard.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
So sorry it's so hard.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
So sorry it's so hard.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
So sorry it's so hard.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
So sorry it's so hard.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
So sorry it's so hard.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
So sorry it's so hard.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

proggoddess
07-10-2006, 05:50 PM
We're in the same boat, but what DD *has* learned to do is take off her pants/underwear and also pull them up (if her legs are already inside). She has also learned how to dump the pot without spilling and flush the toilet.

Perhaps try working on some potty-related skills first and relax a little on the peeing in the potty part? That way you don't feel like you're not teaching her anything, and she doesn't feel pressured to go.

proggoddess
We're in the same boat, but what DD *has* learned to do is take off her pants/underwear and also pull them up (if her legs are already inside). She has also learned how to dump the pot without spilling and flush the toilet.

Perhaps try working on some potty-related skills first and relax a little on the peeing in the potty part? That way you don't feel like you're not teaching her anything, and she doesn't feel pressured to go.

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

miki
07-10-2006, 07:03 PM
I can totally sympathize. My DD is almost 3 also and her school also requires kids to be PT'd. My DD also has excellent bladder control, can go many, many hours without peeing. I knew her body was ready but her toddler mind was very obstinate. She would always refuse to go when I knew she could. I tried a potty chair, a potty seat insert, and finally just put her straight on the toilet. Turns out she prefers that. And she got really, really upset when I tried to get her to poop on the potty. I basically promised her anything she wanted (she picked popsicles, I found tiny ones at the market) if she would poop on the potty. I took the diapers away and she had an accident right away and was so unhappy about it that I think it pushed her into paying more attention to her body. She also said she didn't want to make Pooh and Tigger (on her underwear) unhappy by peeing on them.

It's very stressful but she'll get the hang of it soon! Hang in there!

miki
I can totally sympathize. My DD is almost 3 also and her school also requires kids to be PT'd. My DD also has excellent bladder control, can go many, many hours without peeing. I knew her body was ready but her toddler mind was very obstinate. She would always refuse to go when I knew she could. I tried a potty chair, a potty seat insert, and finally just put her straight on the toilet. Turns out she prefers that. And she got really, really upset when I tried to get her to poop on the potty. I basically promised her anything she wanted (she picked popsicles, I found tiny ones at the market) if she would poop on the potty. I took the diapers away and she had an accident right away and was so unhappy about it that I think it pushed her into paying more attention to her body. She also said she didn't want to make Pooh and Tigger (on her underwear) unhappy by peeing on them.

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

CBB
07-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Congratulations on making a big step! We started with DD a little over a week ago. To our surprise she has done pretty well, but it wasn't until 3 days later. What worked for us was rewards (actually M&Ms, shhhhh). We told her that she'll get chocolate if she pees on the potty (she's only had it 3 times in her life and loved it). The first day, she sat for a long time with nothing, but asked for chocolate. I told her no chocalate unless she pees on the potty. After awhile, she asked for water. She drank one cup and asked for more. 10min after her second cup of water, she peed and immediately said "chocolate". She wet (and Pooped) her underwear several times the first day and peed on our couch. I just take her to her potty each time she had an accident and of course told her no M&Ms. The second day, she wet her underwear a little bit, but was able to hold until we took her to her potty. We also don't make her go every half and hour, but did ask her if she needed to go. 3days later, we just put diapers on her for nap and sleep, and she didn't have one single accident. Now, she would scream "potty" and run to her potty. A few times, She even took off her underwear and sat on the potty all by herself and peed. However, we have other issues with her now (which I posted in the lounge) - she won't go outside of home x( . Keep trying, sounds like your DD is doing very well. I would also suggest that you let her watch when you sit on your toilet. Now, everytime she hears me pee, she says "yeah, mommy peed". BTW, now I don't have to give her M&M and she still goes.

CBB
Congratulations on making a big step! We started with DD a little over a week ago. To our surprise she has done pretty well, but it wasn't until 3 days later. What worked for us was rewards (actually M&Ms, shhhhh). We told her that she'll get chocolate if she pees on the potty (she's only had it 3 times in her life and loved it). The first day, she sat for a long time with nothing, but asked for chocolate. I told her no chocalate unless she pees on the potty. After awhile, she asked for water. She drank one cup and asked for more. 10min after her second cup of water, she peed and immediately said "chocolate". She wet (and Pooped) her underwear several times the first day and peed on our couch. I just take her to her potty each time she had an accident and of course told her no M&Ms. The second day, she wet her underwear a little bit, but was able to hold until we took her to her potty. We also don't make her go every half and hour, but did ask her if she needed to go. 3days later, we just put diapers on her for nap and sleep, and she didn't have one single accident. Now, she would scream "potty" and run to her potty. A few times, She even took off her underwear and sat on the potty all by herself and peed. However, we have other issues with her now (which I posted in the lounge) - she won't go outside of home x( . Keep trying, sounds like your DD is doing very well. I would also suggest that you let her watch when you sit on your toilet. Now, everytime she hears me pee, she says "yeah, mommy peed". BTW, now I don't have to give her M&M and she still goes.

CBB

CBB

CBB

CBB

CBB

CBB

CBB