PDA

View Full Version : Swaddling baby with colic

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-12-2006, 10:34 AM
M mom called me this am to tell me she thinks Kate has colic. Hello?? Have you been listening to me at all? She also told me she read in "What to Expect" that swaddling after one month will stunt her development.
Anyone know of a reputable link supporting swaddling I can send her before I lose my mind?
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
M mom called me this am to tell me she thinks Kate has colic. Hello?? Have you been listening to me at all? She also told me she read in "What to Expect" that swaddling after one month will stunt her development.
Anyone know of a reputable link supporting swaddling I can send her before I lose my mind?
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

todzwife
07-12-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't have a link, but Maddie is nearly 6 months and I still swaddle her at night.

"What to expect"...I hate that series. We call it the "what to worry about" series.

I'm sorry...moms can be so wonderful and such a pain in the butt at the same time.

todzwife
I don't have a link, but Maddie is nearly 6 months and I still swaddle her at night.

"What to expect"...I hate that series. We call it the "what to worry about" series.

I'm sorry...moms can be so wonderful and such a pain in the butt at the same time.

todzwife

todzwife

todzwife

todzwife

todzwife

todzwife

todzwife

aliceinwonderland
07-12-2006, 11:34 AM
What to expect--That's BS in my opinion, but I have no link either.

Just look at the cover--woman wearing a cardigan rocking in a chair lovingly staring into nothingness. Yea, that's how I spent my entire pregnancy (sorry for the rant--I really dislike that book!).

aliceinwonderland

Just look at the cover--woman wearing a cardigan rocking in a chair lovingly staring into nothingness. Yea, that's how I spent my entire pregnancy (sorry for the rant--I really dislike that book!).

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

chlobo
07-12-2006, 11:38 AM
try referring her to "Happiest Baby on the block" He's all about the swaddle.

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

jarrettsmom9705
07-12-2006, 03:02 PM
That's by Harvey Karp. People swear by him. The five "s's": swaddle, shush (in their ear - loudly), side (hold them cradled in the crook of your arm on their side), suck (on a paci), and swing (them back and forth with a little jiggle).
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
That's by Harvey Karp. People swear by him. The five "s's": swaddle, shush (in their ear - loudly), side (hold them cradled in the crook of your arm on their side), suck (on a paci), and swing (them back and forth with a little jiggle).
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

BaileyBea
07-12-2006, 03:22 PM
I owe Harvey Karp a big huge Thank You note. We saw the DVD The Happiest Baby on the Block the first day we bought him home from the hospital. He saved us! We really understood DS's cries and we had the least fussiest baby on the block.

He recommends swaddling and has some solutions or ideas for Colic. Susan you should pick it up if you haven't read it already. If so, then just know that the Colic will pass soon enough. Hang in there even when you want to beat your head up against the wall.

Ignore your Mom... follow your instincts you are the one that counts the most.

BaileyBea
I owe Harvey Karp a big huge Thank You note. We saw the DVD The Happiest Baby on the Block the first day we bought him home from the hospital. He saved us! We really understood DS's cries and we had the least fussiest baby on the block.

He recommends swaddling and has some solutions or ideas for Colic. Susan you should pick it up if you haven't read it already. If so, then just know that the Colic will pass soon enough. Hang in there even when you want to beat your head up against the wall.

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

jenmcadams
07-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Happiest Baby on the block saved us :)

FYI -- while my DS was done swaddling by 5 months, we swaddled my DD until she was almost 8 months old. My DD's development was in no way stunted :) She slept through the night early, walked at 10 months, had 20+ words by a year, etc. My DS on the other end is in the lower end of the normal/average range for most everything -- he's not walking at almost 13 months (although he's close), doesn't have any real words etc.

Overall, I wouldn't say swaddling hurts anything -- it just helps them sleep, so I say swaddle as long as they can stand it

jenmcadams

FYI -- while my DS was done swaddling by 5 months, we swaddled my DD until she was almost 8 months old. My DD's development was in no way stunted :) She slept through the night early, walked at 10 months, had 20+ words by a year, etc. My DS on the other end is in the lower end of the normal/average range for most everything -- he's not walking at almost 13 months (although he's close), doesn't have any real words etc.

Overall, I wouldn't say swaddling hurts anything -- it just helps them sleep, so I say swaddle as long as they can stand it

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

JTsMom
07-12-2006, 07:08 PM
How about this?
http://books.google.com/books?id=YfGDViNXzhoC&dq=book+mind+your+own+business&pg=PA1&ots=dTma-X3lzN&sig=8ghAQhUgR3QEzpZMt0RmF85CGmI&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dbook%2Bmind%2Byour%2Bown%2B business%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch&sa=X&oi=print&ct=result&cd=2

Sorry, couldn't resist! :) Hope it gave you a chuckle.

JTsMom
How about this?
http://books.google.com/books?id=YfGDViNXzhoC&dq=book+mind+your+own+business&pg=PA1&ots=dTma-X3lzN&sig=8ghAQhUgR3QEzpZMt0RmF85CGmI&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dbook%2Bmind%2Byour%2Bown%2B business%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch&sa=X&oi=print&ct=result&cd=2

JTsMom
How about this?

JTsMom
How about this?

JTsMom
How about this?

JTsMom
How about this?

JTsMom
How about this?

JTsMom
How about this?

JTsMom
How about this?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-12-2006, 07:28 PM
:)
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

Lovingliv
07-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Susan, I have been having trouble sleeping, so DH swaddled me last night and I slept 9 hours straight, with no snacking :)

My development hasn't been stunted either.... :)

Lovingliv
Susan, I have been having trouble sleeping, so DH swaddled me last night and I slept 9 hours straight, with no snacking :)

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

mamato1
07-12-2006, 10:13 PM
http://news-info.wustl.edu/tips/2002/medical-health/swaddle.html

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1559.html

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1915.html

HTH
Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/16/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

mamato1
07-12-2006, 10:13 PM
http://news-info.wustl.edu/tips/2002/medical-health/swaddle.html