PDA

View Full Version : marriage is hard

mamato1
07-12-2006, 09:30 PM
I don't really feel comfortable saying many details in a public forum, but I needed some place to vent. Sometimes I long for the marriages other people seem to have where things go smoothly and each person gives some and takes some. Is that too much to ask for?

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/16/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

mamato1
I don't really feel comfortable saying many details in a public forum, but I needed some place to vent. Sometimes I long for the marriages other people seem to have where things go smoothly and each person gives some and takes some. Is that too much to ask for?

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

Wife_and_mommy
07-12-2006, 09:45 PM
C,

The "marriage other people seem to have" is never what it seems. All couples have their issues and it's hard work to figure them out. I hope things are better soon and send big hugs to you.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

Wife_and_mommy
C,

The "marriage other people seem to have" is never what it seems. All couples have their issues and it's hard work to figure them out. I hope things are better soon and send big hugs to you.

Wife_and_mommy
C,

Wife_and_mommy
C,

Wife_and_mommy
C,

Wife_and_mommy
C,

Wife_and_mommy
C,

Wife_and_mommy
C,

Wife_and_mommy
C,

niccig
07-12-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm sorry you're feeling that way. But just a thought, the grass isn't always greener, it has just as many weeds. Sometimes I feel like it is give and take, and other times it definitely isn't. Sometimes, it comes out in the wash and other times it doesn't. I know I have to do more at home than DH, but man I wish he wouldn't sit on the couch watching me sort the washing. I don't car if you've had a long day, so have I. If he doesn't offer to help, I now throw some at him! He's learning.

Is there anything you can do to lessen the burden? I just babysat a friend's DD2 so she could have a break while DD1 is at preschool, and her DH gave her a list of errands...WTF! I'm doing it again for her next week and she isn't telling him about it. I've told her to arrange a hair or nail appointment and to sit in a coffee shop reading a trashy magazine for a bit.

I hope you get some relief soon.
Nicci

niccig
I'm sorry you're feeling that way. But just a thought, the grass isn't always greener, it has just as many weeds. Sometimes I feel like it is give and take, and other times it definitely isn't. Sometimes, it comes out in the wash and other times it doesn't. I know I have to do more at home than DH, but man I wish he wouldn't sit on the couch watching me sort the washing. I don't car if you've had a long day, so have I. If he doesn't offer to help, I now throw some at him! He's learning.

Is there anything you can do to lessen the burden? I just babysat a friend's DD2 so she could have a break while DD1 is at preschool, and her DH gave her a list of errands...WTF! I'm doing it again for her next week and she isn't telling him about it. I've told her to arrange a hair or nail appointment and to sit in a coffee shop reading a trashy magazine for a bit.

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

BaileyBea
07-12-2006, 09:54 PM
I call marriage "A work in progress." It's something we are always working on, trying to improve, remodel, readjust, and then just plain live with.

No marriage is perfect. It's okay to go through some bad times. Hang in there. Think things out and find ways to better communicate w/your mate. ;-) Sometimes you got to get creative. Just know you are not alone. I'm sure we've all been there.

Big ((HUG)) Hang in there!

BaileyBea
I call marriage "A work in progress." It's something we are always working on, trying to improve, remodel, readjust, and then just plain live with.

No marriage is perfect. It's okay to go through some bad times. Hang in there. Think things out and find ways to better communicate w/your mate. ;-) Sometimes you got to get creative. Just know you are not alone. I'm sure we've all been there.

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea
07-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Chris,

I agree w/Nicci.... Find a way to put aside 2 hours for yourself soon. Go to a coffee shop or somewhere quiet and just chill out. All by yourself. It's so hard being "On" all the time and it's even more exhausting when you have two kids "DS and a DH." Ha Ha! It's amazing what a little bit of time to yourself does to helping you feel normal.

Calgon take Chris away!!!! ;-)

Then... you and DH have to go on an occasional date to feel like a couple and don't talk about DS. That's rule #1.

Good luck and take time our for yourself soon.

BaileyBea
Chris,

I agree w/Nicci.... Find a way to put aside 2 hours for yourself soon. Go to a coffee shop or somewhere quiet and just chill out. All by yourself. It's so hard being "On" all the time and it's even more exhausting when you have two kids "DS and a DH." Ha Ha! It's amazing what a little bit of time to yourself does to helping you feel normal.

Then... you and DH have to go on an occasional date to feel like a couple and don't talk about DS. That's rule #1.

BaileyBea
Chris,

BaileyBea
Chris,

BaileyBea
Chris,

BaileyBea
Chris,

BaileyBea
Chris,

BaileyBea
Chris,

BaileyBea
Chris,

niccig
07-12-2006, 10:24 PM
I agree with the communication, we're still working on it. The friend I helped out today, admits that she's too capable. She did everything with DD1, and now her DH expects the same with DD2, and she's been doing it for the last 9 months. But she's burnt out. He doesn't see it. She said she's going to start doing less and find a way to make her husband see that she can't keep doing it all. As for me, I never give DH such high expectations. Tonight, he'll find me with a glass of wine, a messy house, and dinner is takeout. I shredded all his blasted paperwork last night, tonight I'm doing nothing!

Nicci

niccig
I agree with the communication, we're still working on it. The friend I helped out today, admits that she's too capable. She did everything with DD1, and now her DH expects the same with DD2, and she's been doing it for the last 9 months. But she's burnt out. He doesn't see it. She said she's going to start doing less and find a way to make her husband see that she can't keep doing it all. As for me, I never give DH such high expectations. Tonight, he'll find me with a glass of wine, a messy house, and dinner is takeout. I shredded all his blasted paperwork last night, tonight I'm doing nothing!

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

ribbit1019
07-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Yes, it is too much to ask for. At least that is what I gather.

Everyone tells DH and I that we have the perfect marriage. But we don't, we are just really good at hiding it from the prying public.

I complain here and to my mom, he complains to his mom and my sisters boyfriend (they are very good friends). We complain to each other that we each nag too much. We get over it and make up.

Occasionally we pick at each other, such as this weekend when we were having such a good time. Everything I said was wrong in his eyes and DH felt the need to correct me in front of our friend. I think the honeymoon phase is officially over. But Hey! it took 6 years! ;)

It isn't easy, it should be give and take but it isn't. I feel like a nag daily.

Last night I cooked, so it was his turn to do the dishes, he did them tonight and his cooking was Costco Hot Dogs and sodas. I didn't nag and I was so proud of myself! :)

That a marriage is hard work is an understatement, and as we get older and more set in our ways it becomes even harder.

{{Hugs}} from one Chris to another!

Christy
My Waterbabies
http://b3.lilypie.com/uVw3m4/.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/tbvhm4/.png
http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6p3x/1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

ribbit1019

Everyone tells DH and I that we have the perfect marriage. But we don't, we are just really good at hiding it from the prying public.

I complain here and to my mom, he complains to his mom and my sisters boyfriend (they are very good friends). We complain to each other that we each nag too much. We get over it and make up.

Occasionally we pick at each other, such as this weekend when we were having such a good time. Everything I said was wrong in his eyes and DH felt the need to correct me in front of our friend. I think the honeymoon phase is officially over. But Hey! it took 6 years! ;)

It isn't easy, it should be give and take but it isn't. I feel like a nag daily.

Last night I cooked, so it was his turn to do the dishes, he did them tonight and his cooking was Costco Hot Dogs and sodas. I didn't nag and I was so proud of myself! :)

That a marriage is hard work is an understatement, and as we get older and more set in our ways it becomes even harder.

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

amp
07-13-2006, 01:45 PM
I am lamenting the same thing on a daily basis these days. I love my husband. I really, really do. But things have not been great and it scares the crap out of me a lot of the time. Hang in there mama! And if you need a shoulder, I'm not nearby anymore, but I'm an email away!

amp
I am lamenting the same thing on a daily basis these days. I love my husband. I really, really do. But things have not been great and it scares the crap out of me a lot of the time. Hang in there mama! And if you need a shoulder, I'm not nearby anymore, but I'm an email away!

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

alleyoop
07-13-2006, 02:32 PM
humph. Yep.

You know how they say that you should find "balance" for yourself. I have finally just come to the understanding that (for me) balance is what you get in that nanosecond between when things swing from one side to the other. I am just now learning that it isn't a place I will get to one day and say, "oh, thank goodness, I finally have balance," but more of finding the moment each day, or the hour one week, or whatever and smiling and saying, "ah... balance!" then gracefully letting it go. You know, that appreciation of when it happens (smiling, basking in it, saying to someone else "isn't this great?"), but not berating myself the other 23 hours of the day when it doesn't. KWIM?
I think marriage is the same way. A perfect marriage is that fleeting moment or one good afternoon a month or unspoken word or whatever that nanosecond is between two tugging egos when there is equality and kindness. My hubby and I try to make a thing about acknowledging it when it happens. We most of the time simply say, "This is one of those times" and give a kiss. It happens once or twice a month, maybe. But now we look for them and I think, well, that is pretty good and leave it at that. Ok, I am rambling...

Hang in there Chris! It is hard.

alleyoop
humph. Yep.

You know how they say that you should find "balance" for yourself. I have finally just come to the understanding that (for me) balance is what you get in that nanosecond between when things swing from one side to the other. I am just now learning that it isn't a place I will get to one day and say, "oh, thank goodness, I finally have balance," but more of finding the moment each day, or the hour one week, or whatever and smiling and saying, "ah... balance!" then gracefully letting it go. You know, that appreciation of when it happens (smiling, basking in it, saying to someone else "isn't this great?"), but not berating myself the other 23 hours of the day when it doesn't. KWIM?
I think marriage is the same way. A perfect marriage is that fleeting moment or one good afternoon a month or unspoken word or whatever that nanosecond is between two tugging egos when there is equality and kindness. My hubby and I try to make a thing about acknowledging it when it happens. We most of the time simply say, "This is one of those times" and give a kiss. It happens once or twice a month, maybe. But now we look for them and I think, well, that is pretty good and leave it at that. Ok, I am rambling...

alleyoop
humph. Yep.

alleyoop
humph. Yep.

alleyoop
humph. Yep.

alleyoop
humph. Yep.

alleyoop
humph. Yep.

alleyoop
humph. Yep.

alleyoop
humph. Yep.

aliceinwonderland
07-13-2006, 04:52 PM
This is true. And I have one of those marriages. It is not hard for me, I do not feel like I have to "work" at it (I disagree with the concept of marriage as work anyway), but even having something perfect going on, I am often humbled and reminded of how quickly it can be taken away....

aliceinwonderland
This is true. And I have one of those marriages. It is not hard for me, I do not feel like I have to "work" at it (I disagree with the concept of marriage as work anyway), but even having something perfect going on, I am often humbled and reminded of how quickly it can be taken away....

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

punkrockmama
07-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Yeah, just wanted to agree with the others. Nobody knows what goes on inside other people's homes. The perfect couple could be knockin' it down behind closed doors. And even people who do have it pretty smooth go thru rough patches.

I will say you are very smart to already say that marriage is hard. Being with the same person for the rest of your life, even if you do love the stuffing out of them, will not always be easy.

I hope that you guys can smooth out some of the rough stuff that's come up.

Hugs and peace to you mama.

punkrockmama
Yeah, just wanted to agree with the others. Nobody knows what goes on inside other people's homes. The perfect couple could be knockin' it down behind closed doors. And even people who do have it pretty smooth go thru rough patches.

I will say you are very smart to already say that marriage is hard. Being with the same person for the rest of your life, even if you do love the stuffing out of them, will not always be easy.

punkrockmama

punkrockmama

punkrockmama

punkrockmama

punkrockmama

punkrockmama

punkrockmama

shilo
07-14-2006, 02:21 PM
ITA - we have what would probably be described by others as a pretty ideal marriage, but i have to tell you, we _both_ acknowlege that part of what makes us 'work' so well is having realistic expectations of eachother. i don't remember where i heard this, but it has been so, so true for us (over 11 years together now) that marriage has seasons. wouldn't it be nice if you were always basking in the warm glow of summer? but that's the thing about relationships, you will go thru fall and winter, you just hope they don't last too long. and then spring is just around the corner :). i've always loved him, i've always liked more about him than not... but i can honestly say there have been times in our decade+ together when i haven't always been madly 'in' love with him, and know he'd say the same - but somehow we always come back to that summer sun with time and patience and a healthy dose of 'reality' for us. i guess it helps that we're on the same page with this too.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

shilo
ITA - we have what would probably be described by others as a pretty ideal marriage, but i have to tell you, we _both_ acknowlege that part of what makes us 'work' so well is having realistic expectations of eachother. i don't remember where i heard this, but it has been so, so true for us (over 11 years together now) that marriage has seasons. wouldn't it be nice if you were always basking in the warm glow of summer? but that's the thing about relationships, you will go thru fall and winter, you just hope they don't last too long. and then spring is just around the corner :). i've always loved him, i've always liked more about him than not... but i can honestly say there have been times in our decade+ together when i haven't always been madly 'in' love with him, and know he'd say the same - but somehow we always come back to that summer sun with time and patience and a healthy dose of 'reality' for us. i guess it helps that we're on the same page with this too.

lori

shilo

lori

shilo

lori

shilo

lori

shilo

lori

shilo

lori

shilo

lori

shilo

lori

lmintzer
07-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Edited to remove personal info.

To the OP: I'm sorry you are struggling. I know how hard it can be!!

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

mamato1
07-15-2006, 01:56 PM
I took some time to go get my hair done and things are definitely better on the home front. I so appreciate the time you all took to respond.

Chris

Mama to Brendan, aka Boomer, my little peanut who is allergic to peanuts! 01/16/04

mamato1
I took some time to go get my hair done and things are definitely better on the home front. I so appreciate the time you all took to respond.

Chris

Mama to Brendan, aka Boomer, my little peanut who is allergic to peanuts! 01/16/04

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

kozachka
07-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Glad to hear things are better. I also need to get my hair (and nails) done, both for the looks and for the marriage. Not sure it'll help though.

kozachka
Glad to hear things are better. I also need to get my hair (and nails) done, both for the looks and for the marriage. Not sure it'll help though.

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

emilys_mom
07-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks for posting this. I really, really needed it today.

emilys_mom

emilys_mom

emilys_mom

emilys_mom

emilys_mom

emilys_mom

emilys_mom

emilys_mom

emilys_mom