PDA

View Full Version : Company Kids Catalog--Gender Stereotypes!!!

kfk
07-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Not that I can afford anything from here, but we get the catalog, and its fun to page through with the boys, identify things in the pictures, look at the other kids, etc. Usually.
But this time . . . The boys "rooms" are so dark, and cluttered and full of objects that aren't really toys (too big), more like decorator objects with "boy" themes. The girls rooms are sweet and whimsical, and well, cute.
Why is there a camouflage themed boys room? (aside from my own issues, don't women serve?)
Why is the airplane theme fighter jets?
Why are the boys rooms only in dark woods and primary colors?
Why are the ladybugs, butterflies, and cat themed rooms (all separate themes, mind you) only available in "girly" pastel (pink, lavender, yellow) colors? My boys LOVE ladybugs, butterflies and cats!!!
Why oh why are the cute, wooden painted kitchen appliances in pastel colors only?
Clearly, I didn't point all this out to the boys (they didn't seem to notice), I just quietly placed the catalog in our recycling as soon as they were done with it.
Yes, my boys love balls and games with balls, transportation, etc. but they love books, butterflies, babies and playing kitchen, etc. I'd love for them to see that boys and girls can enjoy a variety of things.

kfk
Not that I can afford anything from here, but we get the catalog, and its fun to page through with the boys, identify things in the pictures, look at the other kids, etc. Usually.
But this time . . . The boys "rooms" are so dark, and cluttered and full of objects that aren't really toys (too big), more like decorator objects with "boy" themes. The girls rooms are sweet and whimsical, and well, cute.
Why is there a camouflage themed boys room? (aside from my own issues, don't women serve?)
Why are the ladybugs, butterflies, and cat themed rooms (all separate themes, mind you) only available in "girly" pastel (pink, lavender, yellow) colors? My boys LOVE ladybugs, butterflies and cats!!!
Why oh why are the cute, wooden painted kitchen appliances in pastel colors only?
Clearly, I didn't point all this out to the boys (they didn't seem to notice), I just quietly placed the catalog in our recycling as soon as they were done with it.
Yes, my boys love balls and games with balls, transportation, etc. but they love books, butterflies, babies and playing kitchen, etc. I'd love for them to see that boys and girls can enjoy a variety of things.

kfk

kfk

kfk

kfk

kfk

kfk

kfk

Nicsmom
07-14-2006, 02:21 PM
I could not agree more. It makes you wonder why is it necessary to "teach" these stereotypes to children.

Nicsmom
I could not agree more. It makes you wonder why is it necessary to "teach" these stereotypes to children.

Nicsmom

Nicsmom

Nicsmom

Nicsmom

Nicsmom

Nicsmom

Nicsmom

MayB
07-14-2006, 02:49 PM
I agree, but it goes so beyond the Company Store. My biggest pet peeve is huggies pink Princess for girls and blue Cars pullups for boys. Actually, the entire Princess movement drives me crazy. I also notice it in ethnic stereotypes -- for instance, Fisher Price Little People. While it's good that there are a variety of ethnicities represented, why is Patrick the cop and Miguel the bus driver??

MayB
I agree, but it goes so beyond the Company Store. My biggest pet peeve is huggies pink Princess for girls and blue Cars pullups for boys. Actually, the entire Princess movement drives me crazy. I also notice it in ethnic stereotypes -- for instance, Fisher Price Little People. While it's good that there are a variety of ethnicities represented, why is Patrick the cop and Miguel the bus driver??

MayB

MayB

MayB

MayB

MayB

MayB

MayB

janeybwild
07-14-2006, 02:56 PM
ITA. The Company Kids catologue is blatant, and very annoying. Lets start a letter writing campaign :). If your little girl wants anyting other than butterflies or fairies from them, you're SOOL.

janeybwild
ITA. The Company Kids catologue is blatant, and very annoying. Lets start a letter writing campaign :). If your little girl wants anyting other than butterflies or fairies from them, you're SOOL.

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

californiagirl
07-14-2006, 03:26 PM
I thought I was the only one who winced as my DD asked me to read the names on the pillowcases and EVERY primary colored one was a boy. Umm, all her favorites were "boy" ones (only because they didn't have screaming purple).

californiagirl
I thought I was the only one who winced as my DD asked me to read the names on the pillowcases and EVERY primary colored one was a boy. Umm, all her favorites were "boy" ones (only because they didn't have screaming purple).

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

MichelleRC
07-14-2006, 03:27 PM
I am with you on the Pull Ups thing. My kids have no idea who Spiderman, the Hulk or Buzz Lightyear are. They know and love Dora, but those are for girls!!

MichelleRC
I am with you on the Pull Ups thing. My kids have no idea who Spiderman, the Hulk or Buzz Lightyear are. They know and love Dora, but those are for girls!!

MichelleRC

MichelleRC

MichelleRC

MichelleRC

MichelleRC

MichelleRC

MichelleRC

californiagirl
07-14-2006, 04:37 PM
We buy store generic pullups, because they're non-gendered. Everybody gets dragons.

californiagirl
We buy store generic pullups, because they're non-gendered. Everybody gets dragons.

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

mcdonald29
07-15-2006, 12:34 AM
I feel the same way about clothes -boys stuff has all kinds of sporty designs. I don't particularly like football, soccer, or baseball- why would I choose such designs for my sons? How about more plain or neutral patterns such as dots, stripes, stars?

"Generic" animals in addition to ducks would be nice too. And who ever decided dogs are for boys and cats are for girls?!

mcdonald29
I feel the same way about clothes -boys stuff has all kinds of sporty designs. I don't particularly like football, soccer, or baseball- why would I choose such designs for my sons? How about more plain or neutral patterns such as dots, stripes, stars?

"Generic" animals in addition to ducks would be nice too. And who ever decided dogs are for boys and cats are for girls?!

mcdonald29

mcdonald29

mcdonald29

mcdonald29

mcdonald29

mcdonald29

mcdonald29

dules
07-15-2006, 12:58 PM
I agree. I'd love to see more gender neutral sets/themes. I don't want to do a girly/pastel room for my DD but it seems like that's all that's out there. Grrr. PBK is no better.

Best,
Mary

dules
I agree. I'd love to see more gender neutral sets/themes. I don't want to do a girly/pastel room for my DD but it seems like that's all that's out there. Grrr. PBK is no better.

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

Saartje
07-15-2006, 10:02 PM
What difference does it make if the pullups are for boys vs. girls? My son's pullups are Dora-themed, and they work fine.

Saartje
What difference does it make if the pullups are for boys vs. girls? My son's pullups are Dora-themed, and they work fine.

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

kelly ann
07-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Yep, I agree. I have gotten to the point where I just buy what DS wants. For example, DH just bought him a purple plastic Dora's talking backpack. As for the swimmers diapers, DD is wearing the blue ones and I really didn't think twice about it.

ETA: Actually, DS probably would have loved the pink pull-ups (loves pink and yellow things). However, we just used generic pull-ups from Walgreens.

kelly ann
Yep, I agree. I have gotten to the point where I just buy what DS wants. For example, DH just bought him a purple plastic Dora's talking backpack. As for the swimmers diapers, DD is wearing the blue ones and I really didn't think twice about it.

ETA: Actually, DS probably would have loved the pink pull-ups (loves pink and yellow things). However, we just used generic pull-ups from Walgreens.

kelly ann

kelly ann

kelly ann

kelly ann

kelly ann

kelly ann

kelly ann

punkrockmama
07-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Yeah, that sucks. I know I'm guilty sometimes of saying "that's for boys" or "that's girlie". I regret it as soon as it comes out of my mouth. I'm working on thinking a little before I open up my trap.

I've been looking at stuff for baby girls and it's all toile. If you love toile please don't be offened because this is just my own personal opinion but...I think toile is super fugly. And if I see one more nursery done floor to ceiling in bubblegum pink and purple I'm gonna hurl.

When I was looking for Peyton's wooden kitchen I saw a bunch of ads with only girls playing with them. Rubbed me the wrong way.

I've never heard of Company Kids before. It sounds like I'm not missing much.

punkrockmama
Yeah, that sucks. I know I'm guilty sometimes of saying "that's for boys" or "that's girlie". I regret it as soon as it comes out of my mouth. I'm working on thinking a little before I open up my trap.

I've been looking at stuff for baby girls and it's all toile. If you love toile please don't be offened because this is just my own personal opinion but...I think toile is super fugly. And if I see one more nursery done floor to ceiling in bubblegum pink and purple I'm gonna hurl.

When I was looking for Peyton's wooden kitchen I saw a bunch of ads with only girls playing with them. Rubbed me the wrong way.

punkrockmama

punkrockmama

punkrockmama

punkrockmama

punkrockmama

punkrockmama

punkrockmama

punkrockmama

MagsMom
07-20-2006, 08:55 AM
I feel the same way. It is so hard to find gifts for showers when you don't know the gender of the baby because the clothes are so geared toward one sex or the other.

I found clothes that work for boys or girls with animal designs at Sofia Bean sofiabean.com. I got a coupon code from them for 15% off, good through Aug. Baby15

MagsMom
also mom to a Henry (6/14/05)

MagsMom
I feel the same way. It is so hard to find gifts for showers when you don't know the gender of the baby because the clothes are so geared toward one sex or the other.

I found clothes that work for boys or girls with animal designs at Sofia Bean sofiabean.com. I got a coupon code from them for 15% off, good through Aug. Baby15

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

MagsMom

zuzu
07-20-2006, 09:43 AM
I've noticed this, too. I think they've gotten even worse in the last year or two.

A bit OT, but what also bothers me is when we get two catalogs from the same company, one addressed to me and one to DH that have different front and back covers and inside layouts. Garnet Hill does this frequently. In my catalog the fluffy robes, comfy slippers, PJs, and sweaters are displayed prominently while DH gets to see some of the more revealing items. All the items are the same, but ordered differently throughout the catalog. I understand the marketing reasons behind this, but it it makes us laugh as we compare our catalogs. We're goofy, I know. :)

zuzu
I've noticed this, too. I think they've gotten even worse in the last year or two.

A bit OT, but what also bothers me is when we get two catalogs from the same company, one addressed to me and one to DH that have different front and back covers and inside layouts. Garnet Hill does this frequently. In my catalog the fluffy robes, comfy slippers, PJs, and sweaters are displayed prominently while DH gets to see some of the more revealing items. All the items are the same, but ordered differently throughout the catalog. I understand the marketing reasons behind this, but it it makes us laugh as we compare our catalogs. We're goofy, I know. :)

zuzu

zuzu

zuzu

zuzu

zuzu

zuzu

zuzu

zuzu

maestramommy
07-26-2006, 05:16 PM
ITA also! When I was shopping for stuff before DD was born it seemed that all the fun crib sets were for boys! Drove me nuts. I would've loved to get some of the sheets with little airplanes and cars because they were so cute, but they all said (literally) "boy" on them! Aarrgh! I'm NOT a girlie girl fan, but all the girl stuff is just too.... GIRLIE!

maestramommy
ITA also! When I was shopping for stuff before DD was born it seemed that all the fun crib sets were for boys! Drove me nuts. I would've loved to get some of the sheets with little airplanes and cars because they were so cute, but they all said (literally) "boy" on them! Aarrgh! I'm NOT a girlie girl fan, but all the girl stuff is just too.... GIRLIE!

maestramommy

maestramommy

maestramommy

maestramommy

maestramommy

maestramommy

maestramommy