PDA

View Full Version : Grr - inexperienced with eBay - got cheated. =(

EllasMum
07-15-2006, 11:43 PM
I'm so mad. At myself, partly. I only recently started buying on eBay. I had 14 wonderful transactions where I paid promptly, received my items, and was happy with everything I bought. Then I found an auction that seemed too good to be true - it was. A set of Hanna dresses, with FREE shipping to Canada. I read through the post, and the seller mentioned the cost for shipping to the US, and then said that shipping to Canada would be "different from US", so I took that to mean "free", as stated in the top of the auction. I bid, won, and then got an invoice with an $8.85 shipping charge. I emailed the seller who said that the program they use to generate their auction postings sometimes incorrectly shows international shipping as free, and they have stopped using that program. The seller went on to say that in their auction they did say that shipping to Canada would be different. OK, am I a total idiot here? How is free not different from the $6 listed for US locations?? Grr. So I wanted the dresses, so I sucked it up, and paid the invoice. Well needless to say, I never got the package. I emailed the seller about 2 weeks after the auction ended and asked when the package was shipped - and was advised it was sent June 14. Well here we are July 15 and still no package. I got shafted, right? Here's where my inexperience came into play - I went to the seller's feedback page, which I should have done BEFORE bidding, and found that he's had 21 negative feedbacks in the last 12 months! Argh. I'm just so mad. I should have checked the feedback first. That is my new mantra. That, and "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

Grr. Thanks for listening - sorry this got so long! I hope everybody learns from this to ALWAYS check feedback before bidding!! (oh, and I did leave a negative feedback for the seller - I'm nervous about what he's going to leave for me. Sigh)

Susan

EllasMum
I'm so mad. At myself, partly. I only recently started buying on eBay. I had 14 wonderful transactions where I paid promptly, received my items, and was happy with everything I bought. Then I found an auction that seemed too good to be true - it was. A set of Hanna dresses, with FREE shipping to Canada. I read through the post, and the seller mentioned the cost for shipping to the US, and then said that shipping to Canada would be "different from US", so I took that to mean "free", as stated in the top of the auction. I bid, won, and then got an invoice with an $8.85 shipping charge. I emailed the seller who said that the program they use to generate their auction postings sometimes incorrectly shows international shipping as free, and they have stopped using that program. The seller went on to say that in their auction they did say that shipping to Canada would be different. OK, am I a total idiot here? How is free not different from the $6 listed for US locations?? Grr. So I wanted the dresses, so I sucked it up, and paid the invoice. Well needless to say, I never got the package. I emailed the seller about 2 weeks after the auction ended and asked when the package was shipped - and was advised it was sent June 14. Well here we are July 15 and still no package. I got shafted, right? Here's where my inexperience came into play - I went to the seller's feedback page, which I should have done BEFORE bidding, and found that he's had 21 negative feedbacks in the last 12 months! Argh. I'm just so mad. I should have checked the feedback first. That is my new mantra. That, and "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

Grr. Thanks for listening - sorry this got so long! I hope everybody learns from this to ALWAYS check feedback before bidding!! (oh, and I did leave a negative feedback for the seller - I'm nervous about what he's going to leave for me. Sigh)

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

saschalicks
07-15-2006, 11:49 PM
file with paypal IMMEDIATELY!!!! You have recourse. Do you have all of your e-mails?

saschalicks
file with paypal IMMEDIATELY!!!! You have recourse. Do you have all of your e-mails?

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

EllasMum
07-15-2006, 11:52 PM
I kept copies of everything. Will paypal be able to get my shipping money back, too? I only ended up paying $2.99 for the items but $8.85 for shipping. I'm just trying to navigate the eBay complaint site to figure out how to report this seller.

EllasMum
I kept copies of everything. Will paypal be able to get my shipping money back, too? I only ended up paying $2.99 for the items but $8.85 for shipping. I'm just trying to navigate the eBay complaint site to figure out how to report this seller.

EllasMum

EllasMum

EllasMum

EllasMum

EllasMum

EllasMum

EllasMum

Momof3Labs
07-16-2006, 06:34 AM
yes, you can get it all back if you file in time! go into paypal, and click on the "details" page for the transaction. scroll down, where you'll see a tiny link to "resolution center". that takes you through what you need to do!

when something seems too good on ebay, ask before bidding!

Momof3Labs
yes, you can get it all back if you file in time! go into paypal, and click on the "details" page for the transaction. scroll down, where you'll see a tiny link to "resolution center". that takes you through what you need to do!

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

EllasMum
07-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks, Lori. I have definitely learned my lesson! I did file a dispute (or whatever Paypal calls it) with Paypal and also reported the seller to eBay. It states very explicitly in the eBay policies that it is against the rules to charge additional money after the auction has closed. I'm sure this is going to get ugly, but I just can't let this creep get away with it!

Susan

EllasMum
Thanks, Lori. I have definitely learned my lesson! I did file a dispute (or whatever Paypal calls it) with Paypal and also reported the seller to eBay. It states very explicitly in the eBay policies that it is against the rules to charge additional money after the auction has closed. I'm sure this is going to get ugly, but I just can't let this creep get away with it!

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

mldflygirl
07-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Good for you, for filing and not letting the "creep" get away with it! If everyone followed up when they were cheated, those people wouldn't get away with as much.

Sorry you had to learn your lesson about Ebay the hard way. It's a great place to buy stuff, as long as you're careful about who you buy from & how you handle your transactions.

By the way, you probably already know this, but just in case you didn't... this is a perfect example of why you shouldn't make separate arrangments with someone outside of Ebay or PayPal. If someone suggests it, even if they seem legit, turn them down because there's nothing you can do if you have any problems with them.

mldflygirl
Good for you, for filing and not letting the "creep" get away with it! If everyone followed up when they were cheated, those people wouldn't get away with as much.

Sorry you had to learn your lesson about Ebay the hard way. It's a great place to buy stuff, as long as you're careful about who you buy from & how you handle your transactions.

By the way, you probably already know this, but just in case you didn't... this is a perfect example of why you shouldn't make separate arrangments with someone outside of Ebay or PayPal. If someone suggests it, even if they seem legit, turn them down because there's nothing you can do if you have any problems with them.

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

saschalicks
07-17-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm happy you filed. They should not get away with it no matter what the cost was.

saschalicks
I'm happy you filed. They should not get away with it no matter what the cost was.

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks