PDA

View Full Version : DH rant - LONG

Radosti
07-20-2006, 08:14 AM
DH is slowly dumping all his household responsibilities on me. And it's none too subtle either. He used to do laundry, do dishes, take out the trash, do cat litter, and cut the grass.

Well, months ago, I needed clothing because he had not done the laundry yet, so I did the laundry. The following time, he had to write a final paper, so I did the laundry again. He has not done laundry since. He's got all sorts of excuses, but the bottom line, laundry is now exclusively my problem.

I got annoyed several times when I went to make DS breakfast or dinner and all his bowls were dirty. So, I did the dishes. Then, someone was coming to see a foster dog, so I cleaned up and did the dishes. Now dishes are my responsibility only.

I took pity on the cats about 3 weeks ago when he hadn't done the litter in 8 days because he had to write a paper for school. So, I did the cat litter. A week later, I went down there and saw that everything was swept up (the litter is in the basement and the cats track litter all over). I thought he cleaned up in there and just didn't have time to do the litter itself, so I did it again. Turns out the cleaning lady swept up in there (even though it's not her responsibility normally). I asked him today about cat litter since he always does it on trash days. He responded that it was last done on Thursday by me, and he hasn't done it since because he never knows when I've done it!!!! What!!!! He just told me that it was done a week ago by me. So, he knew when I did it and just did not do it!!! He said it as he walked out the door and I called him a few choice names. Then, I took pity on the cats again and went to do the litter. The cats are saints for not going everywhere in this house. Emma was so happy I was cleaning down there that she did a little happy kitty dance by my feet. So, apparently, cat litter is now my sole responsibility as well.

I take out trash half the time these days because I can't stand it. I pay the bills, I cook, I do all the food shopping, I buy all the clothing and gift and stuff like that. I take care of the baby (everything, including baths, drs appts, bed times, waking up at night). I take care of the pets (including all grooming and meds).

He works full time and is working on completing his MBA. The grass has not been cut in 3 weeks. I think he is hoping I'll get out the mower too. When did my wonderful, supportive hubby turn into this lazy man???

I had a talk with him about this and he's all about contradicting himself. "I was going to do it last weekend, but I had school." "Leave the laundry, I'll do it this weekend. Oh, but I have to write that paper." "I never ever said you have to do more chores because you are taking time off to stay home with our baby."

He didn't get me ANYTHING for my very first Mother's Day. He asked me on a date for our 6 year dating anniversary this Saturday, but I have to ask my mom to babysit, look up movie times and make a dinner reservation. Oh, and we are finally using the gift card to a steakhouse my best friend sent me for the birth of the baby. Again, how is this HIM taking ME on a date, not the other way around???

Radosti
DH is slowly dumping all his household responsibilities on me. And it's none too subtle either. He used to do laundry, do dishes, take out the trash, do cat litter, and cut the grass.

Well, months ago, I needed clothing because he had not done the laundry yet, so I did the laundry. The following time, he had to write a final paper, so I did the laundry again. He has not done laundry since. He's got all sorts of excuses, but the bottom line, laundry is now exclusively my problem.

I got annoyed several times when I went to make DS breakfast or dinner and all his bowls were dirty. So, I did the dishes. Then, someone was coming to see a foster dog, so I cleaned up and did the dishes. Now dishes are my responsibility only.

I took pity on the cats about 3 weeks ago when he hadn't done the litter in 8 days because he had to write a paper for school. So, I did the cat litter. A week later, I went down there and saw that everything was swept up (the litter is in the basement and the cats track litter all over). I thought he cleaned up in there and just didn't have time to do the litter itself, so I did it again. Turns out the cleaning lady swept up in there (even though it's not her responsibility normally). I asked him today about cat litter since he always does it on trash days. He responded that it was last done on Thursday by me, and he hasn't done it since because he never knows when I've done it!!!! What!!!! He just told me that it was done a week ago by me. So, he knew when I did it and just did not do it!!! He said it as he walked out the door and I called him a few choice names. Then, I took pity on the cats again and went to do the litter. The cats are saints for not going everywhere in this house. Emma was so happy I was cleaning down there that she did a little happy kitty dance by my feet. So, apparently, cat litter is now my sole responsibility as well.

I take out trash half the time these days because I can't stand it. I pay the bills, I cook, I do all the food shopping, I buy all the clothing and gift and stuff like that. I take care of the baby (everything, including baths, drs appts, bed times, waking up at night). I take care of the pets (including all grooming and meds).

He works full time and is working on completing his MBA. The grass has not been cut in 3 weeks. I think he is hoping I'll get out the mower too. When did my wonderful, supportive hubby turn into this lazy man???

I had a talk with him about this and he's all about contradicting himself. "I was going to do it last weekend, but I had school." "Leave the laundry, I'll do it this weekend. Oh, but I have to write that paper." "I never ever said you have to do more chores because you are taking time off to stay home with our baby."

He didn't get me ANYTHING for my very first Mother's Day. He asked me on a date for our 6 year dating anniversary this Saturday, but I have to ask my mom to babysit, look up movie times and make a dinner reservation. Oh, and we are finally using the gift card to a steakhouse my best friend sent me for the birth of the baby. Again, how is this HIM taking ME on a date, not the other way around???

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

hbridge
07-20-2006, 08:46 AM
You are not alone. Over two years ago my DH cleaned the shower and told me he would clean the shower every other weekend. That was two years ago and he hasn't done it since...

hbridge
You are not alone. Over two years ago my DH cleaned the shower and told me he would clean the shower every other weekend. That was two years ago and he hasn't done it since...

hbridge

hbridge

hbridge

hbridge

hbridge

hbridge

hbridge

hbridge

egfmba
07-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Do only yours and baby's clothes. Buy a secret stash of plastic plates and utensils and leave the dishes. The cats must be taken care of, but put the litter leavings in his school bag. If he's not being subtle, neither should you.

My DH didn't do any housework for a while. He figured I could do I could do the cooking, dishes, cleaning, and trash since I was 'just' in law school and taking care of DS. So I stopped doing the dishes. I also stopped cooking. I figured it's his money I'm spending to buy dinner (and not fast food, either), isn't it? I also stopped running errands for him and buying things he needed at the store (he used to wait for me to ask him if he needed more deodorant, shampoo, etc.). When he ran out of everything and saw the piles of dishes in the sink, he realized my tolerance for filth had suddenly risen OR he was lazy. Things changed. I used to be so OCD about the house, but when that stopped because it was either that or go psycho, he started picking up the slack.

As for your anniversary, leave him with the baby and take yourself to the nice steakhouse! Have a lovely dinner with dessert and then, when you get home, tell him you had a lovely time being responsible for only yourself instead of the tribe.

At least that's what I'd like to think I'd do. Not that you asked for my advice.

By way of sympathy, you totally have mine. I don't think it's fair of you to bear the entire household burden on top of the baby. I think you both went into this situation with your eyes open, knowing that it would be difficult but doable if you both worked equally hard. I think it's unfair for that dynamic to shift in the middle with no renegotiation. I think it would be equally unfair of you to do that to him (not that you are, but the point is the party isn't the point - it's the actual act of relegation that matters). Neither party is above doing what needs to be done in a family. Both parties deserve the respect of discussion, not the dismissal of 'allowing' a situation to change. I wish you luck in getting some understanding and working this out. Marriages are hard enough!

Eva

egfmba
Do only yours and baby's clothes. Buy a secret stash of plastic plates and utensils and leave the dishes. The cats must be taken care of, but put the litter leavings in his school bag. If he's not being subtle, neither should you.

My DH didn't do any housework for a while. He figured I could do I could do the cooking, dishes, cleaning, and trash since I was 'just' in law school and taking care of DS. So I stopped doing the dishes. I also stopped cooking. I figured it's his money I'm spending to buy dinner (and not fast food, either), isn't it? I also stopped running errands for him and buying things he needed at the store (he used to wait for me to ask him if he needed more deodorant, shampoo, etc.). When he ran out of everything and saw the piles of dishes in the sink, he realized my tolerance for filth had suddenly risen OR he was lazy. Things changed. I used to be so OCD about the house, but when that stopped because it was either that or go psycho, he started picking up the slack.

As for your anniversary, leave him with the baby and take yourself to the nice steakhouse! Have a lovely dinner with dessert and then, when you get home, tell him you had a lovely time being responsible for only yourself instead of the tribe.

At least that's what I'd like to think I'd do. Not that you asked for my advice.

By way of sympathy, you totally have mine. I don't think it's fair of you to bear the entire household burden on top of the baby. I think you both went into this situation with your eyes open, knowing that it would be difficult but doable if you both worked equally hard. I think it's unfair for that dynamic to shift in the middle with no renegotiation. I think it would be equally unfair of you to do that to him (not that you are, but the point is the party isn't the point - it's the actual act of relegation that matters). Neither party is above doing what needs to be done in a family. Both parties deserve the respect of discussion, not the dismissal of 'allowing' a situation to change. I wish you luck in getting some understanding and working this out. Marriages are hard enough!

Eva

egfmba

Eva

egfmba

Eva

egfmba

Eva

egfmba

Eva

egfmba

Eva

egfmba

Eva

egfmba

Eva

egfmba

Eva

mldflygirl
07-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Good luck with that situation! Wish I could offer lots of good advice, but my situation isn't much better. :) The only thing I *would* suggest - try sitting down & discussing everything with DH. Don't be overly accusatory or negative, but at the same time be very serious & tell him how much it matters to you.

I don't know if yours is like this, but a lot of times the problem with my DH is that he just doesn't *care* if the dishes are dirty or whatnot. So he thinks, "why should I do them if I don't care about the mess?". Also, a lot of times he really doesn't see the mess or think, "Oh, I should do this." It usually takes me pointing things out (when I'm at my wit's end!) to get him to start helping again. Then, after a few weeks when he's slacked off again.... we start over!

By the way - you have my sympathy too! And if it helps knowing you're not the only one... my DH didn't get me a gift or do anything special for my first Mother's Day either!!!

mldflygirl
Good luck with that situation! Wish I could offer lots of good advice, but my situation isn't much better. :) The only thing I *would* suggest - try sitting down & discussing everything with DH. Don't be overly accusatory or negative, but at the same time be very serious & tell him how much it matters to you.

I don't know if yours is like this, but a lot of times the problem with my DH is that he just doesn't *care* if the dishes are dirty or whatnot. So he thinks, "why should I do them if I don't care about the mess?". Also, a lot of times he really doesn't see the mess or think, "Oh, I should do this." It usually takes me pointing things out (when I'm at my wit's end!) to get him to start helping again. Then, after a few weeks when he's slacked off again.... we start over!

By the way - you have my sympathy too! And if it helps knowing you're not the only one... my DH didn't get me a gift or do anything special for my first Mother's Day either!!!

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

mldflygirl

jillc
07-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Hi there,

No advice, just sympathy. We're in the same boat, except I've pretty much been in charge of everything all along. We moved out of state & bought a house a month after DD was born. DH's job was looking for a job & yardwork. My job was everything else. Occasionally, DH will do a couple loads of laundry (and leave them in the dryer for 3 days until I fold them). And he does often wash the dinner dishes & take out the garbage most of the time. And often he gives DD a bath & reads a book before bed.

All else is up to me. Am I surprised that everything falls onto me? You betcha. My DH is a wonderful man & I always thought he'd be a bit more understanding that I need help getting stuff done since taking care of DD is a full-time job.

All travel plans, date night plans, gifts, groceries, dry cleaning, dr's appts, bills, financial planning, bank stuff, dog care, meal planning, waking up at night, waking up early w/DD on the weekends, clothes shopping, laundry, house cleaning, etc. All me.

DH likes to nap on the weekends while DD naps. Grrr. While I'm paying bills, etc... B/c he's tired from working all week. Pretty much 9-5.

Apparently "SAHM" is a pretty loose job description. I often wonder if the split of responsibilities around here would be more equitable if I had a "job"...

You're not alone. As I said, no advice, just sympathy.

I think it's going to be a big shake-up when DC #2 arrives...

Best,
Jill

jillc
Hi there,

No advice, just sympathy. We're in the same boat, except I've pretty much been in charge of everything all along. We moved out of state & bought a house a month after DD was born. DH's job was looking for a job & yardwork. My job was everything else. Occasionally, DH will do a couple loads of laundry (and leave them in the dryer for 3 days until I fold them). And he does often wash the dinner dishes & take out the garbage most of the time. And often he gives DD a bath & reads a book before bed.

All else is up to me. Am I surprised that everything falls onto me? You betcha. My DH is a wonderful man & I always thought he'd be a bit more understanding that I need help getting stuff done since taking care of DD is a full-time job.

All travel plans, date night plans, gifts, groceries, dry cleaning, dr's appts, bills, financial planning, bank stuff, dog care, meal planning, waking up at night, waking up early w/DD on the weekends, clothes shopping, laundry, house cleaning, etc. All me.

DH likes to nap on the weekends while DD naps. Grrr. While I'm paying bills, etc... B/c he's tired from working all week. Pretty much 9-5.

Apparently "SAHM" is a pretty loose job description. I often wonder if the split of responsibilities around here would be more equitable if I had a "job"...

Best,
Jill

jillc
Hi there,

Best,
Jill

jillc
Hi there,

Best,
Jill

jillc
Hi there,

Best,
Jill

jillc
Hi there,

Best,
Jill

jillc
Hi there,

Best,
Jill

jillc
Hi there,

Best,
Jill

jillc
Hi there,

Best,
Jill

jillc
Hi there,

Best,
Jill

elliput
07-20-2006, 12:48 PM
"I often wonder if the split of responsibilities around here would be more equitable if I had a "job"..."

Nope.

elliput
"I often wonder if the split of responsibilities around here would be more equitable if I had a "job"..."

Nope.

elliput

Nope.

elliput

Nope.

elliput

Nope.

elliput

Nope.

elliput

Nope.

elliput

Nope.

elliput

Nope.

elliput

Nope.

babystuffbuff
07-20-2006, 01:06 PM
>>Also, a lot of times he really doesn't see the mess or think, "Oh, I should do this."

Exactly! With my DH, it's not that he doesn't see the mess/dirty dishes/cat box, it's that when he sees it, he thinks, "oh, that's a mess", not "oh, I guess I need to clean up". It's not his powers of observation that are lacking, he just doesn't follow the observation with the logical conclusion.

To the OP, that's the same situation I'm in, just without the baby. I can't imagine it with a little one. Have you thought about making a chart? List the chores on the left-hand column, put your name and DH's at the top, and then put an X where your name intersects with the chore that you're each responsible for. DH always says, "Well, if you ask me to do something, I do it". He doesn't understand that the goal is for me not to HAVE to ask him, because he has done it already. Maybe having a chart would be a visual reminder of his responsibilities, especially if you put it somewhere where he would see it, like his computer screen.

Hope that helps, and good luck! I'm in the same boat.

Sarah

Auntie to my seven munchkins, and thinking about TTC a munchkin of our own :)

babystuffbuff
>>Also, a lot of times he really doesn't see the mess or think, "Oh, I should do this."

Exactly! With my DH, it's not that he doesn't see the mess/dirty dishes/cat box, it's that when he sees it, he thinks, "oh, that's a mess", not "oh, I guess I need to clean up". It's not his powers of observation that are lacking, he just doesn't follow the observation with the logical conclusion.

To the OP, that's the same situation I'm in, just without the baby. I can't imagine it with a little one. Have you thought about making a chart? List the chores on the left-hand column, put your name and DH's at the top, and then put an X where your name intersects with the chore that you're each responsible for. DH always says, "Well, if you ask me to do something, I do it". He doesn't understand that the goal is for me not to HAVE to ask him, because he has done it already. Maybe having a chart would be a visual reminder of his responsibilities, especially if you put it somewhere where he would see it, like his computer screen.

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

ribbit1019
07-20-2006, 01:26 PM
I second Erica's nope. I thought it couldn't get much worse than it was when I was employed FT, but it has. Since I have been home I have been silently deligated to do EVERYTHING but the yard.

DH doesn't even change as many diapers anymore, I practically have to beg. That makes me feel like a million bucks.

You have a TON of sympathy coming from me. I wish we lived closer we could have coffee and talk about our lazy men, lol. ;)

Christy - The Silently Deligated
My Waterbabies
http://b3.lilypie.com/uVw3m4/.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/tbvhm4/.png
http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6p3x/1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

ribbit1019
I second Erica's nope. I thought it couldn't get much worse than it was when I was employed FT, but it has. Since I have been home I have been silently deligated to do EVERYTHING but the yard.

DH doesn't even change as many diapers anymore, I practically have to beg. That makes me feel like a million bucks.

You have a TON of sympathy coming from me. I wish we lived closer we could have coffee and talk about our lazy men, lol. ;)

My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

My Waterbabies

thomma
07-20-2006, 01:28 PM
You have every right to be pissed and a few years ago I was in the same situation.

I know this is the bitching post and not dear abby but can I tell you what worked for me?

I stayed home with ds and dd until they were 16 months old. On a good day I got 4 or 5 hours of sleep,never in a row, and on bad days I got 45 minutes (in a row...lucky me). While dh was wonderful about helping out with the kids, I did everything in the house. Before I went back to work I asked that we sit down and list the stuff that needed to get done and divvy up the jobs. Dh laughed, told me not to worry about it and called me anal annie. Well I went back to work and everything continued to fall on my shoulders. After a month of teaching f/t, I lost it. As a result, Dh and I came up with a list of jobs, prioritized them and decided who was going to do what. It's worked and every once in a while we tweak it. While it's rarely 50/50, neither one of us is doing "everything".

One thing that came out of that "discussion" was that dh stopped doing certain things because he felt like he didn't do them well enough...couldn't please me. So now I keep my yap shut as long as the job gets done...even if it's not the way I would do them.

Another thing I've learned is that bitching, whining, and nagging aren't effective. What works best for us is if I say "I need help". No digs or sarcasm. Just the facts m'am kind of thing.

So now if he's not doing what he needs to do (not including ds and dd-their needs are always met), I let it go. I will live in a hayfield before I mow the frickin' lawn.

It sounds to me like you need to have a chat with your dh.

good luck-
Kim
t& e 5/03

thomma
You have every right to be pissed and a few years ago I was in the same situation.

I know this is the bitching post and not dear abby but can I tell you what worked for me?

I stayed home with ds and dd until they were 16 months old. On a good day I got 4 or 5 hours of sleep,never in a row, and on bad days I got 45 minutes (in a row...lucky me). While dh was wonderful about helping out with the kids, I did everything in the house. Before I went back to work I asked that we sit down and list the stuff that needed to get done and divvy up the jobs. Dh laughed, told me not to worry about it and called me anal annie. Well I went back to work and everything continued to fall on my shoulders. After a month of teaching f/t, I lost it. As a result, Dh and I came up with a list of jobs, prioritized them and decided who was going to do what. It's worked and every once in a while we tweak it. While it's rarely 50/50, neither one of us is doing "everything".

One thing that came out of that "discussion" was that dh stopped doing certain things because he felt like he didn't do them well enough...couldn't please me. So now I keep my yap shut as long as the job gets done...even if it's not the way I would do them.

Another thing I've learned is that bitching, whining, and nagging aren't effective. What works best for us is if I say "I need help". No digs or sarcasm. Just the facts m'am kind of thing.

So now if he's not doing what he needs to do (not including ds and dd-their needs are always met), I let it go. I will live in a hayfield before I mow the frickin' lawn.

good luck-
Kim
t& e 5/03

thomma

good luck-
Kim
t& e 5/03

thomma

good luck-
Kim
t& e 5/03

thomma

good luck-
Kim
t& e 5/03

thomma

good luck-
Kim
t& e 5/03

thomma

good luck-
Kim
t& e 5/03

thomma

good luck-
Kim
t& e 5/03

thomma

good luck-
Kim
t& e 5/03

thomma

good luck-
Kim
t& e 5/03

Lynnie
07-20-2006, 02:20 PM
no way. but at least you'd have an hour for yourself at lunchtime.

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

kep
07-20-2006, 02:57 PM
but your dh sounds really busy. I've been in your shoes, with a newborn, (then toddler, then preschooler), taking care of pretty much all the household chores, plus the baby all day & night, all while my dh completed his bachelor's degree and then his masters. It's really hard. On both of you. I'm sure your dh means well, but with him working full-time, and trying to go to school, he's probably just overwhelmed. I had to take on all kinds of extra chores while my dh was in school, but it's slowly getting better, now that he's finally finished.

It sounds like you need to sit down with your dh and have a calm, heart-to-heart talk about this. Make sure he knows how you are feeling. It's really important not to come out of this with feelings of resentment towards your dh. Maybe see if you can divide up the chores he used to do, leaving him a couple non-essential ones, while you take on some of the more necessairy ones, at least for now.

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)
And a new baby due Christmas Eve, 2006

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34503.jpg Weaned after 3 years!

http://bd.lilypie.com/8dPKm4/.png

kep
but your dh sounds really busy. I've been in your shoes, with a newborn, (then toddler, then preschooler), taking care of pretty much all the household chores, plus the baby all day & night, all while my dh completed his bachelor's degree and then his masters. It's really hard. On both of you. I'm sure your dh means well, but with him working full-time, and trying to go to school, he's probably just overwhelmed. I had to take on all kinds of extra chores while my dh was in school, but it's slowly getting better, now that he's finally finished.

It sounds like you need to sit down with your dh and have a calm, heart-to-heart talk about this. Make sure he knows how you are feeling. It's really important not to come out of this with feelings of resentment towards your dh. Maybe see if you can divide up the chores he used to do, leaving him a couple non-essential ones, while you take on some of the more necessairy ones, at least for now.

Kelli

kep

Kelli

kep

Kelli

kep

Kelli

kep

Kelli

kep

Kelli

kep

Kelli

kep

Kelli

kep

Kelli

californiagirl
07-20-2006, 03:11 PM
No, the split would not be more equitable if you worked outside the home.
DH is better than most, but planning (anything, including dinners he is going to cook for his friends), and getting the baby dressed, fed, etc is all mine. Housecleaning would be if I cared.

I have been packing for our upcoming trip for a week. He started last night. Now, yes, I am more stressy than he is about these things. But I'm also responsible for my stuff, the baby's stuff, and our stuff. He is responsible for his stuff. So of course he packs faster! If I didn't have to remember the chargers, food for the airplane, the confirmation numbers for everything, etc. etc. etc. I could do it in one night the way I used to, too! And in one suitcase instead of 2!

californiagirl
DH is better than most, but planning (anything, including dinners he is going to cook for his friends), and getting the baby dressed, fed, etc is all mine. Housecleaning would be if I cared.

I have been packing for our upcoming trip for a week. He started last night. Now, yes, I am more stressy than he is about these things. But I'm also responsible for my stuff, the baby's stuff, and our stuff. He is responsible for his stuff. So of course he packs faster! If I didn't have to remember the chargers, food for the airplane, the confirmation numbers for everything, etc. etc. etc. I could do it in one night the way I used to, too! And in one suitcase instead of 2!

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl