PDA

View Full Version : Be careful what you wish for!

miki
07-23-2006, 03:12 PM
I wanted my DD to be potty trained in time for the start of school at the end of August since that is a requirement. She's potty trained, day and night, no diapers. Great except that she is waking up at least once a night saying she needs to pee. She's not coordinated enough to do it all herself so one of us goes to assist her. Now she's figured out that if she says she needs to pee, we come running. Early this morning she tried to manipulate that into DH keeping her company at 4:30am. She's doing this more and more and her reaction is getting out of hand. Last night was the worst yet. She called for a trip to the potty and went. Once back in bed and left alone in her room, she starts yelling for DH to take her to pee again in less than 5 minutes. She obviously wants his company and just won't be talked into going back to sleep. I went to tell her she can't fake the peeing and that we need to sleep or we'll be too tired to play with her in the morning. But she's not interested in anything except our company. We end up leaving her and she cries endlessly. And whenever my kid cries, it's at the top of her lungs. This is almost as bad as getting up 3 times a night to nurse her. At least back then I didn't have to listen to all the wailing.

Ugh, so tired.

miki
I wanted my DD to be potty trained in time for the start of school at the end of August since that is a requirement. She's potty trained, day and night, no diapers. Great except that she is waking up at least once a night saying she needs to pee. She's not coordinated enough to do it all herself so one of us goes to assist her. Now she's figured out that if she says she needs to pee, we come running. Early this morning she tried to manipulate that into DH keeping her company at 4:30am. She's doing this more and more and her reaction is getting out of hand. Last night was the worst yet. She called for a trip to the potty and went. Once back in bed and left alone in her room, she starts yelling for DH to take her to pee again in less than 5 minutes. She obviously wants his company and just won't be talked into going back to sleep. I went to tell her she can't fake the peeing and that we need to sleep or we'll be too tired to play with her in the morning. But she's not interested in anything except our company. We end up leaving her and she cries endlessly. And whenever my kid cries, it's at the top of her lungs. This is almost as bad as getting up 3 times a night to nurse her. At least back then I didn't have to listen to all the wailing.

Ugh, so tired.

miki

Ugh, so tired.

miki

Ugh, so tired.

miki

Ugh, so tired.

miki

Ugh, so tired.

miki

Ugh, so tired.

miki

Ugh, so tired.

miki

Ugh, so tired.

jadamom
07-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Sorry, that sounds really tough. Wish I had a magic solution for you. Hang in there. :)

jadamom
Sorry, that sounds really tough. Wish I had a magic solution for you. Hang in there. :)

jadamom

jadamom

jadamom

jadamom

jadamom

jadamom

jadamom

o_mom
07-24-2006, 06:32 AM
Just a thought - can you just put her in a long t-shirt with no undies to sleep? Maybe put a little potty in her room?

I'm just thinking if she does it herself, there will be no incentive to fake it.

o_mom
Just a thought - can you just put her in a long t-shirt with no undies to sleep? Maybe put a little potty in her room?

I'm just thinking if she does it herself, there will be no incentive to fake it.

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

kozachka
07-24-2006, 08:16 AM
We had the same problem this winter. I don't have a magic solution for you, just hugs. It'll all will pass. DS is sleeping through the night on most days again although asking to pee as an execuse for attention at night lasted awhile. These days he can use the bathroom all on his own, even insists on me not helping him. We've used couple tricks that made things better, sort of. Have him pee in a plastic cup rather than take him to the bathroom, which shortened the interaction period and made it easier on me. And put a diaper on him if he continued faking needing to go the bathroom. It's not ideal but when you are tired it works. And no he did not un-learn PT. We tried ignoring DS' requests (which bothers me on more than one level) but ended up changing sheets more than once so diapering him was the next best thing. Also, limiting interaction to bare minimum and your reaction to DD's requests should make it less fun. Negative interaction is still interaction IYKWIM. Hang in there, interupted sleep is not fun.

kozachka
We had the same problem this winter. I don't have a magic solution for you, just hugs. It'll all will pass. DS is sleeping through the night on most days again although asking to pee as an execuse for attention at night lasted awhile. These days he can use the bathroom all on his own, even insists on me not helping him. We've used couple tricks that made things better, sort of. Have him pee in a plastic cup rather than take him to the bathroom, which shortened the interaction period and made it easier on me. And put a diaper on him if he continued faking needing to go the bathroom. It's not ideal but when you are tired it works. And no he did not un-learn PT. We tried ignoring DS' requests (which bothers me on more than one level) but ended up changing sheets more than once so diapering him was the next best thing. Also, limiting interaction to bare minimum and your reaction to DD's requests should make it less fun. Negative interaction is still interaction IYKWIM. Hang in there, interupted sleep is not fun.

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

jal
07-24-2006, 09:24 AM
I guess one obvious suggestion would be that after a 1st trip to the potty, let it be known (and implement) that if she makes a 2nd request within an unreasonable about of time (i.e. 5 minutes), she has to spend the rest of the night in diapers.

Another suggestion (though this might be a little too punitive) is to encourage her to stay dry through the night by making her change into diapers after the 1st time she calls you in the middle of the night. The idea is that you make sure she tries to potty one last time before bed. Let her know that if she calls you to come help with potty before a certain time, you will come help her but she will have to wear a diaper for the rest of the night. That would at least eliminate you ever getting called more than once per night. On the flip side, this idea might even encourage her to "finish" potty training since she would be allowed to say in big girl underwere is she had to pee in the middle of the night and could do everything on her own.

I'm going to count ourselves lucky (I guess) because DS potty trained so late (between age 3.5 and 4) that he had been keeping dry diapers though the night for over a year by the time he finally got potty trained.

jal
I guess one obvious suggestion would be that after a 1st trip to the potty, let it be known (and implement) that if she makes a 2nd request within an unreasonable about of time (i.e. 5 minutes), she has to spend the rest of the night in diapers.

Another suggestion (though this might be a little too punitive) is to encourage her to stay dry through the night by making her change into diapers after the 1st time she calls you in the middle of the night. The idea is that you make sure she tries to potty one last time before bed. Let her know that if she calls you to come help with potty before a certain time, you will come help her but she will have to wear a diaper for the rest of the night. That would at least eliminate you ever getting called more than once per night. On the flip side, this idea might even encourage her to "finish" potty training since she would be allowed to say in big girl underwere is she had to pee in the middle of the night and could do everything on her own.

I'm going to count ourselves lucky (I guess) because DS potty trained so late (between age 3.5 and 4) that he had been keeping dry diapers though the night for over a year by the time he finally got potty trained.

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

miki
07-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I did not even think of diapering as a response to her wanting to potty again and again. I was thinking we can't go back to diapers for fear of regressing but I didn't think of it as something negative that she wouldn't want. I will definitely keep that in mind. I do keep the interaction to a minimum. I usually don't even talk to her. But DH cannot help himself. I keep telling him that the negative interaction is still attention to her but he just won't listen. I wish I could just put a potty chair in her room but she is just not coordinated enough that I can trust that she won't miss the potty and pee on her carpet.

Last night she started asking to pee before I even left her room at bedtime. The crying started after I told her that I knew she did not need to go (because she just went before the bedtime routine started) so I was leaving. DH could not just leave her alone so he went to give her a lecture which I knew would not work. Eventually I calmed her down and told her to really think. If she was telling the truth and needed to pee, I would take her to the potty. But if she was pretending and she still wants to go, when I see there is no pee and that she is pretending, I will put one of her favorite stuffed animals in the closet for the night. It sounds incredibly mean but I couldn't think of any other way to give her a negative consequence for lying just to get attention.

We went to the potty. She admitted she didn't need to pee. I made her watch me put Penguin Pete into the closet. She was very unhappy about that and my putting her back to bed. But then her wailing only lasted a minute or two and she went to sleep. She slept all night without a peep. This morning she immediately asked for Penguin Pete. We had a talk about why Pete went in the closet and she totally understood why that happened. Hopefully last night wasn't a fluke and we won't continue having this battle.

miki
Thanks for the suggestions! I did not even think of diapering as a response to her wanting to potty again and again. I was thinking we can't go back to diapers for fear of regressing but I didn't think of it as something negative that she wouldn't want. I will definitely keep that in mind. I do keep the interaction to a minimum. I usually don't even talk to her. But DH cannot help himself. I keep telling him that the negative interaction is still attention to her but he just won't listen. I wish I could just put a potty chair in her room but she is just not coordinated enough that I can trust that she won't miss the potty and pee on her carpet.

Last night she started asking to pee before I even left her room at bedtime. The crying started after I told her that I knew she did not need to go (because she just went before the bedtime routine started) so I was leaving. DH could not just leave her alone so he went to give her a lecture which I knew would not work. Eventually I calmed her down and told her to really think. If she was telling the truth and needed to pee, I would take her to the potty. But if she was pretending and she still wants to go, when I see there is no pee and that she is pretending, I will put one of her favorite stuffed animals in the closet for the night. It sounds incredibly mean but I couldn't think of any other way to give her a negative consequence for lying just to get attention.

We went to the potty. She admitted she didn't need to pee. I made her watch me put Penguin Pete into the closet. She was very unhappy about that and my putting her back to bed. But then her wailing only lasted a minute or two and she went to sleep. She slept all night without a peep. This morning she immediately asked for Penguin Pete. We had a talk about why Pete went in the closet and she totally understood why that happened. Hopefully last night wasn't a fluke and we won't continue having this battle.

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

proggoddess
07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
I have the exact opposite problem. DD wets her diaper, then takes it off and leaves it in the corner of her room. She tries to put on her cotton training pants in the middle of the night, but it is dark and she's not coordinated enough to get her legs through the separate holes. She does not call for help and she does not open her door. We usually find her in the morning soaking wet with her training pants tangled around her knees. Poor thing!

We tried putting a tight-fitting vinyl cover over her diaper but she can now pull that off also. We put her potty chair in her room near the corner where she deposits her diaper. That worked once. (Johnny Dangerously: "Once!") We tried "practicing" having her go to our room and ask for help. Nope.

She doesn't want to use the potty during the day much, and we try not to make a big deal of it, but we do suggest she use it a couple times a day. *sigh* This too shall pass. Maybe in a couple months when baby DS isn't such a drain on our resources, we'll do the "naked" method. In the meantime, she'll just have to figure out that being wet is no fun.

proggoddess
I have the exact opposite problem. DD wets her diaper, then takes it off and leaves it in the corner of her room. She tries to put on her cotton training pants in the middle of the night, but it is dark and she's not coordinated enough to get her legs through the separate holes. She does not call for help and she does not open her door. We usually find her in the morning soaking wet with her training pants tangled around her knees. Poor thing!

We tried putting a tight-fitting vinyl cover over her diaper but she can now pull that off also. We put her potty chair in her room near the corner where she deposits her diaper. That worked once. (Johnny Dangerously: "Once!") We tried "practicing" having her go to our room and ask for help. Nope.

She doesn't want to use the potty during the day much, and we try not to make a big deal of it, but we do suggest she use it a couple times a day. *sigh* This too shall pass. Maybe in a couple months when baby DS isn't such a drain on our resources, we'll do the "naked" method. In the meantime, she'll just have to figure out that being wet is no fun.

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

kozachka
07-25-2006, 03:41 PM
I am sorry but while I sort of agree with your first suggestion of putting a diaper on a DC if s/he asks to potty shortly after the first request, your second suggestion just does not sit well with me. The sort of part stems from my experience that sometimes DS asked to pee shortly after having used the bathroom and needing it. So I would not punish a DC just for asking to potty, even though it is inconvenient for the parents. The way OP delt with the issue sounds much more child-friendly to me.

>Another suggestion (though this might be a little too
>punitive) is to encourage her to stay dry through the night by
>making her change into diapers after the 1st time she calls
>you in the middle of the night. The idea is that you make
>sure she tries to potty one last time before bed. Let her
>know that if she calls you to come help with potty before a
>certain time, you will come help her but she will have to wear
>a diaper for the rest of the night. That would at least
>eliminate you ever getting called more than once per night.
>On the flip side, this idea might even encourage her to
>"finish" potty training since she would be allowed to say in
>big girl underwere is she had to pee in the middle of the
>night and could do everything on her own.

I would not punish child for asking to go potty at night per say since even adults have to go to the bathroom at night sometimes. To me it's part of being a parent and payback for not having to change diapers. And personally, I'd take my DS to the potty as many times per night as he needs. I don't limit his fluids intake before bedtime or anything like that. What I would want to eliminate is asking to go potty for attention's sake. And the only way to do it is to stop giving attention. Sooner or later this behavior will stop.

kozachka
I am sorry but while I sort of agree with your first suggestion of putting a diaper on a DC if s/he asks to potty shortly after the first request, your second suggestion just does not sit well with me. The sort of part stems from my experience that sometimes DS asked to pee shortly after having used the bathroom and needing it. So I would not punish a DC just for asking to potty, even though it is inconvenient for the parents. The way OP delt with the issue sounds much more child-friendly to me.

I would not punish child for asking to go potty at night per say since even adults have to go to the bathroom at night sometimes. To me it's part of being a parent and payback for not having to change diapers. And personally, I'd take my DS to the potty as many times per night as he needs. I don't limit his fluids intake before bedtime or anything like that. What I would want to eliminate is asking to go potty for attention's sake. And the only way to do it is to stop giving attention. Sooner or later this behavior will stop.

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

MarisaSF
07-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Elena- I just wanted to thank you for this sage advice. I used it tonight -- kinda. Jazz is not PT'd, but she did realize recently that saying she had a dirty diaper would make us run in and/or delay bedtime. Last night, DH indulged her with a full-on dual book-reading. Duh. Anyway, I was not playing that game tonight and your advice got me through it. She said her diaper was dirty, so I prepared to change it in the crib. Of course, it was not dirty, but she quickly realized I was not going to get her out of the crib regardless. Two minutes later, sound asleep without a peep. :)

MarisaSF
Elena- I just wanted to thank you for this sage advice. I used it tonight -- kinda. Jazz is not PT'd, but she did realize recently that saying she had a dirty diaper would make us run in and/or delay bedtime. Last night, DH indulged her with a full-on dual book-reading. Duh. Anyway, I was not playing that game tonight and your advice got me through it. She said her diaper was dirty, so I prepared to change it in the crib. Of course, it was not dirty, but she quickly realized I was not going to get her out of the crib regardless. Two minutes later, sound asleep without a peep. :)

MarisaSF

MarisaSF

MarisaSF

MarisaSF

MarisaSF

MarisaSF

MarisaSF