PDA

View Full Version : Update: Breakins! Is anyone else in charge of Security... Oh & My AC War w/DH

BaileyBea
07-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Well DH got the big picture today. Turns out a couple of nights ago our neighbor across the street's car was broken into. They took my neighbors briefcase but other behavior seemed like they were being stalked.

Then the robber(s) put all the stuff from the briefcase in our recycling bin. DH was wondering why all their trash was in our bin. Well turns out it wasn't trash it was the briefcase stuff. We didn't stop the trashman from picking it up because we thought they just ran out of room in their own trash can and it was no biggie! ;-)

Well I gathered the neighbors and it turns out there has been a lot of suspicious vehicles and people in the area in the last 3-4 days. So..... now we are freaked out and I think DH finally gets why I need him to close the door and the garage door.

Fun fun!

++++++++++++++++++
Does anyone else have a DH that is just totally clueless on locking the doors. All doors at all times. I am in charge of security patrol in this household.

For example: Last night I wake up at 12:30 am to go lower the AC because it's back at 80 degress and I am dripping in sweat. And I walk into the living room and see that the front door is wide open. I yell "OMG the front door is open!" and run to see if Curt is still in bed or not and look around like a mad woman making sure no one broke in or was in my house. DH comes tripping out..... he fell several times running from the bed. Drama Queen! He quickly realizes that he went outside before going to bed and just plain forgot to shut and lock the door.

WHAT??????

Before we leave anywhere I run around and check all the doors etc. One day DH told me "I lock the doors everynight, you don't have to check up on my work." Then I said "okay did you already lock up tonight?" He said "Yes." I walk to the back door and there it is wide open! I say "Well you really need to tell your Quality Assurance Department they aren't doing a good job" HA HA!

Is anyone else out there in charge of Security Patrol in their household? It drives me nuts he's just so clueless in this department.

Also, we have talked and talked about this.... I need the AC at 78 or lower. I am having problems cooling down. So why did I have to get up 4 times last night to lower the AC from 80 to 78? Why did DH have to reset it 4 times to 80? Just to irritate me!

YES!!!!! The AC War is on and if he does it again tonight I am just going to go sit on him w/my big belly and all! Ha Ha! Oh and to bug me even more he sleeps w/a sheet and complains about how cold he is. GRRRRRRR! (note at midnight last night it was 98 degrees outside).

BaileyBea
Well DH got the big picture today. Turns out a couple of nights ago our neighbor across the street's car was broken into. They took my neighbors briefcase but other behavior seemed like they were being stalked.

Then the robber(s) put all the stuff from the briefcase in our recycling bin. DH was wondering why all their trash was in our bin. Well turns out it wasn't trash it was the briefcase stuff. We didn't stop the trashman from picking it up because we thought they just ran out of room in their own trash can and it was no biggie! ;-)

Well I gathered the neighbors and it turns out there has been a lot of suspicious vehicles and people in the area in the last 3-4 days. So..... now we are freaked out and I think DH finally gets why I need him to close the door and the garage door.

Fun fun!

++++++++++++++++++
Does anyone else have a DH that is just totally clueless on locking the doors. All doors at all times. I am in charge of security patrol in this household.

For example: Last night I wake up at 12:30 am to go lower the AC because it's back at 80 degress and I am dripping in sweat. And I walk into the living room and see that the front door is wide open. I yell "OMG the front door is open!" and run to see if Curt is still in bed or not and look around like a mad woman making sure no one broke in or was in my house. DH comes tripping out..... he fell several times running from the bed. Drama Queen! He quickly realizes that he went outside before going to bed and just plain forgot to shut and lock the door.

WHAT??????

Before we leave anywhere I run around and check all the doors etc. One day DH told me "I lock the doors everynight, you don't have to check up on my work." Then I said "okay did you already lock up tonight?" He said "Yes." I walk to the back door and there it is wide open! I say "Well you really need to tell your Quality Assurance Department they aren't doing a good job" HA HA!

Is anyone else out there in charge of Security Patrol in their household? It drives me nuts he's just so clueless in this department.

Also, we have talked and talked about this.... I need the AC at 78 or lower. I am having problems cooling down. So why did I have to get up 4 times last night to lower the AC from 80 to 78? Why did DH have to reset it 4 times to 80? Just to irritate me!

YES!!!!! The AC War is on and if he does it again tonight I am just going to go sit on him w/my big belly and all! Ha Ha! Oh and to bug me even more he sleeps w/a sheet and complains about how cold he is. GRRRRRRR! (note at midnight last night it was 98 degrees outside).

BaileyBea

Fun fun!

++++++++++++++++++

WHAT??????

BaileyBea

Fun fun!

++++++++++++++++++

WHAT??????

BaileyBea

Fun fun!

++++++++++++++++++

WHAT??????

BaileyBea

Fun fun!

++++++++++++++++++

WHAT??????

BaileyBea

Fun fun!

++++++++++++++++++

WHAT??????

BaileyBea

Fun fun!

++++++++++++++++++

WHAT??????

BaileyBea

Fun fun!

++++++++++++++++++

WHAT??????

elliput
07-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Almost every morning when I let the dog out I find the back door unlocked, and a couple times this spring the door was wide open so to let air in thru the screen door. It is not more than 8 feet from where he is sitting playing on his computer, but does he check it before he goes to bed? Obviously, no. The only reason the front door ever gets locked (unless we both leave the house) is because I lock it.

I sure wish I could get my DH to have the air at 80 or 78 even. He complains if it is anything above 72.

elliput
Almost every morning when I let the dog out I find the back door unlocked, and a couple times this spring the door was wide open so to let air in thru the screen door. It is not more than 8 feet from where he is sitting playing on his computer, but does he check it before he goes to bed? Obviously, no. The only reason the front door ever gets locked (unless we both leave the house) is because I lock it.

I sure wish I could get my DH to have the air at 80 or 78 even. He complains if it is anything above 72.

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

crl
07-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Well, I think if you are pregnant you should win the AC war without further battles. But I confess that if anyone leaves doors unlocked around here it is me. Before DS, I never locked the door during the day if I was home. DH finally lectured me enough that I do now. . . . But I still forget sometimes.

crl
Well, I think if you are pregnant you should win the AC war without further battles. But I confess that if anyone leaves doors unlocked around here it is me. Before DS, I never locked the door during the day if I was home. DH finally lectured me enough that I do now. . . . But I still forget sometimes.

crl

crl

crl

crl

crl

crl

crl

jillc
07-24-2006, 10:39 AM
I can't believe your doors were wide open!! I'd have freaked out, too!

My DH is guilty of being very lax on locking doors, too. It drives me nuts. He doesn't lock the door between the garage & the house when he leaves the house. Sometimes he doesn't even pull it shut & it's a little bit open. Drives me nuts. We've found two scorpions in the garage this summer. Hello?? Let's shut the door so that they don't come into the house, thank you. Also, it's 110+ right now. The A/C bill has been outrageous. Maybe shutting the door would help. Maybe it would also keep out anyone who might break into the garage somehow, like through the side door that he keeps forgetting to lock after doing yard work. I also have to check all of the doors at bedtime, b/c DH leaves doors unlocked, and then has no realization that we should check the doors at night.

I don't leave any doors unlocked ever, just as a safety & security measure.

As for our A/C... We keep it at 79 at night & 79-81 during the day. Warmer than I'd like, but even at these temps, our electric bill gets outrageous during the summer ($300/mo) since the A/c is always running. Thank goodness for ceiling fans!

Hang in there!
Jill

jillc

My DH is guilty of being very lax on locking doors, too. It drives me nuts. He doesn't lock the door between the garage & the house when he leaves the house. Sometimes he doesn't even pull it shut & it's a little bit open. Drives me nuts. We've found two scorpions in the garage this summer. Hello?? Let's shut the door so that they don't come into the house, thank you. Also, it's 110+ right now. The A/C bill has been outrageous. Maybe shutting the door would help. Maybe it would also keep out anyone who might break into the garage somehow, like through the side door that he keeps forgetting to lock after doing yard work. I also have to check all of the doors at bedtime, b/c DH leaves doors unlocked, and then has no realization that we should check the doors at night.

As for our A/C... We keep it at 79 at night & 79-81 during the day. Warmer than I'd like, but even at these temps, our electric bill gets outrageous during the summer ($300/mo) since the A/c is always running. Thank goodness for ceiling fans!

Hang in there!
Jill

jillc

Hang in there!
Jill

jillc

Hang in there!
Jill

jillc

Hang in there!
Jill

jillc

Hang in there!
Jill

jillc

Hang in there!
Jill

jillc

Hang in there!
Jill

jillc

Hang in there!
Jill

proggoddess
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
I have posted little notes on both our doors: Please keep door locked at all times. Also on our upstairs bathroom mirror, I have a little note: Did you lock the doors? Windows? Put away all food?

They don't help. DH also has this annoying habit of leaving all our kitchen cupboards open. I don't want bugs crawling around in my dishes and baking ingredients. Yeuuuch. Plus, in the winter, those kitchen cupboard doors were an important part of our insulation! With the doors closed, they would be 55 degrees. (Not anymore though, got insulation put into our walls this spring.)

proggoddess
I have posted little notes on both our doors: Please keep door locked at all times. Also on our upstairs bathroom mirror, I have a little note: Did you lock the doors? Windows? Put away all food?

They don't help. DH also has this annoying habit of leaving all our kitchen cupboards open. I don't want bugs crawling around in my dishes and baking ingredients. Yeuuuch. Plus, in the winter, those kitchen cupboard doors were an important part of our insulation! With the doors closed, they would be 55 degrees. (Not anymore though, got insulation put into our walls this spring.)

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess
Oops, double post

proggoddess
Oops, double post

proggoddess
Oops, double post

proggoddess
Oops, double post

proggoddess
Oops, double post

proggoddess
Oops, double post

proggoddess
Oops, double post

proggoddess
Oops, double post

proggoddess
Oops, double post

BaileyBea
07-24-2006, 03:54 PM
My husband leaves the kitchen cabinet doors open and the dresser drawers open too! I have walked into them on a number of occassions and gashed a foot, leg, or face.

Is your Husband an engineer. My neighbors DH is an engineer and he does the same thing. We get together and compare engineer bad habits. Not closing doors is #1. ;-)

BaileyBea
My husband leaves the kitchen cabinet doors open and the dresser drawers open too! I have walked into them on a number of occassions and gashed a foot, leg, or face.

Is your Husband an engineer. My neighbors DH is an engineer and he does the same thing. We get together and compare engineer bad habits. Not closing doors is #1. ;-)

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

nfowife
07-24-2006, 10:35 PM
My husband and I are constantly fighting about the a/c and fans. I need it cold to be comfy when I am sleeping (and I am still sweaty!). So for me the ideal is to have the a/c on 74 with the fan on supersonic high. DH wants it on 80 with the fan on low!! No way jose. Preggo wins on this one. I have to be very careful because if DH gets home late at night from work, goes to sleep after me, etc. He will change it. Last week he switched the fan direction so it wasn't blowing air downward!! I woke up, and thought "hmmmm, the fan is on high but I feel no breeze.". I confronted DH not expecting him to have the ingenuity to pull this one over and he admitted it!!! It's one of the biggest issues in our marriage, we are that boring!

nfowife
My husband and I are constantly fighting about the a/c and fans. I need it cold to be comfy when I am sleeping (and I am still sweaty!). So for me the ideal is to have the a/c on 74 with the fan on supersonic high. DH wants it on 80 with the fan on low!! No way jose. Preggo wins on this one. I have to be very careful because if DH gets home late at night from work, goes to sleep after me, etc. He will change it. Last week he switched the fan direction so it wasn't blowing air downward!! I woke up, and thought "hmmmm, the fan is on high but I feel no breeze.". I confronted DH not expecting him to have the ingenuity to pull this one over and he admitted it!!! It's one of the biggest issues in our marriage, we are that boring!

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

wencit
07-25-2006, 12:44 AM
>Is your Husband an engineer. My neighbors DH is an engineer
>and he does the same thing. We get together and compare
>engineer bad habits. Not closing doors is #1. ;-)

My husband is an engineer, and he sounds exactly like your husband. I often wonder if he was dropped on his head as a child, because he can only do one thing at a time. I am constantly amazed that he can recall how to do a Z-transform or remember some irrelevant physics equation, but he will forget to close the garage door after he brings in the garbage!

wencit

My husband is an engineer, and he sounds exactly like your husband. I often wonder if he was dropped on his head as a child, because he can only do one thing at a time. I am constantly amazed that he can recall how to do a Z-transform or remember some irrelevant physics equation, but he will forget to close the garage door after he brings in the garbage!

wencit

wencit

wencit

wencit

wencit

wencit

wencit

ribbit1019
07-25-2006, 01:18 AM
We have the AC war too, but DH keeps turning to to colder and I keep turning it warmer. Though I stick to 76, 80 would be way too hot for me.

DH is in charge of security, he grew up in a rough neighborhood and he checks the doors multiple times throughout the night. At least I won't have to worry about the front door hanging open. How nerve wracking!!

Christy
My Waterbabies
http://b3.lilypie.com/uVw3m4/.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/tbvhm4/.png
http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6p3x/1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

ribbit1019
We have the AC war too, but DH keeps turning to to colder and I keep turning it warmer. Though I stick to 76, 80 would be way too hot for me.

DH is in charge of security, he grew up in a rough neighborhood and he checks the doors multiple times throughout the night. At least I won't have to worry about the front door hanging open. How nerve wracking!!

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

ribbit1019

Christy
My Waterbabies

proggoddess
07-25-2006, 10:31 AM
We're both engineering wannabes. He's a former Civil engineering major and computer information systems grad. I am a software engineer.

I am paranoid of the doors being open because of my parents. When we used to leave for grocery shopping, my parents would button up the house including the windows, even though we live in the Safest City in America.

DH also leaves the car doors unlocked (and we park outside).

proggoddess
We're both engineering wannabes. He's a former Civil engineering major and computer information systems grad. I am a software engineer.

I am paranoid of the doors being open because of my parents. When we used to leave for grocery shopping, my parents would button up the house including the windows, even though we live in the Safest City in America.

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

proggoddess

jal
07-25-2006, 03:37 PM
First the disclaimer... I am an engineer.

And I'll admit that I can understand the concept of forgetting to lock an outside door, but to forget to CLOSE an outside door???

On the subject of AC...
#1, if you are pregnant this time of year, you deserve to have the tempature set below 80. May I also suggest fans. We've got ceiling fans in almost every room of the house, and DW had them ALL running at least on the middle setting for the last 3 months. Not until we brought the new little one home a few weeks ago did any of them shut down.
#2, are you sure it's your husband? If you have a digital thermastat, when you change the setting to 78, you might be changing the temp setting. Then after a while, the system will automatically reset the the true 80 setting.

jal

And I'll admit that I can understand the concept of forgetting to lock an outside door, but to forget to CLOSE an outside door???

On the subject of AC...
#1, if you are pregnant this time of year, you deserve to have the tempature set below 80. May I also suggest fans. We've got ceiling fans in almost every room of the house, and DW had them ALL running at least on the middle setting for the last 3 months. Not until we brought the new little one home a few weeks ago did any of them shut down.
#2, are you sure it's your husband? If you have a digital thermastat, when you change the setting to 78, you might be changing the temp setting. Then after a while, the system will automatically reset the the true 80 setting.

jal

On the subject of AC...

jal

On the subject of AC...

jal

On the subject of AC...

jal

On the subject of AC...

jal

On the subject of AC...

jal

On the subject of AC...

jal

On the subject of AC...

hbridge
07-25-2006, 04:14 PM
My DH is an engineer and doesn't lock doors or windows. He also doesn't close kitchen cabinets, bath cabinets, or even close windows when it's raining.

The basement door is the worst. He may pull it shut, but it is rarely closed tight or locked. We've had it out many times on this subject. Maybe it's an engineer thing. I often call him the "the absent minded professor"...

hbridge
My DH is an engineer and doesn't lock doors or windows. He also doesn't close kitchen cabinets, bath cabinets, or even close windows when it's raining.

The basement door is the worst. He may pull it shut, but it is rarely closed tight or locked. We've had it out many times on this subject. Maybe it's an engineer thing. I often call him the "the absent minded professor"...

hbridge

hbridge

hbridge

hbridge

hbridge

hbridge

hbridge

katiesmommy
07-25-2006, 06:42 PM
My DH doesn't close cabinet doors of any kind, doesn't lock doors, or close windows. Half the time he forgets to turn off lights or the computer at night. But the worst is when he leaves the bathroom door open while our DD is up. One day when I was out shopping he found her in the bathroom, playing in the toilet. Can you say GROSS!!! And he still forgets to close it. I think it's just a man thing.

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy
My DH doesn't close cabinet doors of any kind, doesn't lock doors, or close windows. Half the time he forgets to turn off lights or the computer at night. But the worst is when he leaves the bathroom door open while our DD is up. One day when I was out shopping he found her in the bathroom, playing in the toilet. Can you say GROSS!!! And he still forgets to close it. I think it's just a man thing.

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

bubbaray
07-25-2006, 08:17 PM
YES -- me! And I thought I was the only one who ran around at night, checking the locks and windows....

Can't really comment on the AC issue, except that being PG trumps all. Tell your DH when he can squirt out a baby from his plumbing, he can choose the AC temp.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/fYrCm7.png

bubbaray
YES -- me! And I thought I was the only one who ran around at night, checking the locks and windows....

Can't really comment on the AC issue, except that being PG trumps all. Tell your DH when he can squirt out a baby from his plumbing, he can choose the AC temp.

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

daniele_ut
07-27-2006, 02:24 PM
My DH is a musician and he does not seem to be able to grasp the concept of locking the doors, closing the kitchen cabinets or the dresser drawers either. This is a constant battle in my house too and it drives me INSANE! I feel your pain!

daniele_ut
My DH is a musician and he does not seem to be able to grasp the concept of locking the doors, closing the kitchen cabinets or the dresser drawers either. This is a constant battle in my house too and it drives me INSANE! I feel your pain!

daniele_ut

daniele_ut

daniele_ut

daniele_ut

daniele_ut

daniele_ut

daniele_ut

Wife_and_mommy
07-29-2006, 10:45 AM
nak

wow! that's scary. Hope the thugs are caught soon. what scumbags...

stay safe.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]