PDA

View Full Version : They overcharged me! I know I can be naive/trusting but...

alexsmommy
07-26-2006, 07:54 AM
...I've never been good about checking the amount a restaurant charged me vs what I signed for on the receipt. Last night we went out for dinner and I put the charge on my debit/cc. Money is tight this week so I went online this morning to check my balance and found myself glancing at the charge thinking, "I was sure we kept that dinner under $50.00" In fact, in an effort to do that, we chose to go to the buffet instead of ordering our favorite dishes so we could each have a glass of wine and ds could have a smoothie without going over that amount with tip. Sure enough, I pulled the receipt, and with the tip the amount was $48.77. They ran the charge for $52.52. I am so pissed. I'm calling the bank AND the restaurant this morning. Now I am wondering how many times this has happened and I just gave my money away. Grrrr. Any suggestions on how to best approach this? It wasn't my credit card, but my debit. TIA
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
...I've never been good about checking the amount a restaurant charged me vs what I signed for on the receipt. Last night we went out for dinner and I put the charge on my debit/cc. Money is tight this week so I went online this morning to check my balance and found myself glancing at the charge thinking, "I was sure we kept that dinner under $50.00" In fact, in an effort to do that, we chose to go to the buffet instead of ordering our favorite dishes so we could each have a glass of wine and ds could have a smoothie without going over that amount with tip. Sure enough, I pulled the receipt, and with the tip the amount was $48.77. They ran the charge for $52.52. I am so pissed. I'm calling the bank AND the restaurant this morning. Now I am wondering how many times this has happened and I just gave my money away. Grrrr. Any suggestions on how to best approach this? It wasn't my credit card, but my debit. TIA
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

overcome
07-26-2006, 08:05 AM
I think since you have the receipt it should be no problem. The restaurant should post a credit to your card. Hopefully they will also compensate you with a free meal or something to that effect.

Good luck! I would be very PO'ed too!

overcome
I think since you have the receipt it should be no problem. The restaurant should post a credit to your card. Hopefully they will also compensate you with a free meal or something to that effect.

overcome

overcome

overcome

overcome

overcome

overcome

overcome

newmomto3kids
07-26-2006, 08:09 AM
This happened to me once, and I was told that the restaurant normally runs through an initial "pre-charge" or hold, that was my total plus a 20% tip, just to ensure it will go through. They then look at what you actually tipped, remove the hold and charge your account. Mine was fine the next day.
You might be OK, but it is always good to check it out.
HTH

newmomto3kids
This happened to me once, and I was told that the restaurant normally runs through an initial "pre-charge" or hold, that was my total plus a 20% tip, just to ensure it will go through. They then look at what you actually tipped, remove the hold and charge your account. Mine was fine the next day.
HTH

newmomto3kids
HTH

newmomto3kids
HTH

newmomto3kids
HTH

newmomto3kids
HTH

newmomto3kids
HTH

newmomto3kids
HTH

newmomto3kids
HTH

o_mom
07-26-2006, 08:13 AM
They probably ran the amount plus 20-25% when they first swiped it - that way they know you are good for the tip. They should adjust it down to the actual tip.

o_mom
They probably ran the amount plus 20-25% when they first swiped it - that way they know you are good for the tip. They should adjust it down to the actual tip.

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

kijip
07-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Give it a day and see if the amount changes. Otherwise, call and I am sure they will take care of it.

kijip
Give it a day and see if the amount changes. Otherwise, call and I am sure they will take care of it.

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

alexsmommy
07-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks ladies - I hope you're right - I'll give it a day. The strange thin is, the $48 is with a 20% tip - which was very generous considering we chose the buffet - a lot less work for the waiter. We're generally good tippers and I'm just used to calculating that much.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Thanks ladies - I hope you're right - I'll give it a day. The strange thin is, the $48 is with a 20% tip - which was very generous considering we chose the buffet - a lot less work for the waiter. We're generally good tippers and I'm just used to calculating that much.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

MelissaTC
07-26-2006, 11:34 AM
I had this happen to me and it wasn't the overcharge to cover the tip. The waitress decided to add extra on for herself. I was so pissed off!!! I had to fight with the restaurant for my money back. What made it worse was the service was terrible- Twisted Fork for you locals. I drove up there (which they didn't think I would do- I am crazy like that!!) and got my $4. I would be on top of that ASAP!

MelissaTC
I had this happen to me and it wasn't the overcharge to cover the tip. The waitress decided to add extra on for herself. I was so pissed off!!! I had to fight with the restaurant for my money back. What made it worse was the service was terrible- Twisted Fork for you locals. I drove up there (which they didn't think I would do- I am crazy like that!!) and got my $4. I would be on top of that ASAP!

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

kaylinsmommy2
The difference comes to exactly $3.75. Could your bank charge a fee to use the debit card? I know some banks do charge fees.
Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

kaylinsmommy2
The difference comes to exactly $3.75. Could your bank charge a fee to use the debit card? I know some banks do charge fees.
Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

kaylinsmommy2
Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

kaylinsmommy2
Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

kaylinsmommy2
Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

kaylinsmommy2
Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

kaylinsmommy2
Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

kaylinsmommy2
Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

kaylinsmommy2
Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

alexsmommy
07-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Nope. Believe me - if that were the case, the sheer amount I use that thing would have stopped years ago. I just have gut feeling the waiter decided to take some extra for himself, but I am going to be patient and wait to see what the charge says tomorrow.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Nope. Believe me - if that were the case, the sheer amount I use that thing would have stopped years ago. I just have gut feeling the waiter decided to take some extra for himself, but I am going to be patient and wait to see what the charge says tomorrow.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

niccig
07-26-2006, 02:02 PM
If the serving staff did decide to charge extra, that's stealing and easily credit card fraud. You didn't authorise that amount. If that's the case, I think notifying the restaurant management and the credit card company is warranted. If the restaurant is difficult I would throw around terms like fraud and let them now I've notified the credit card company. Too many people pay with credit cards for a company to get in trouble with them.

I never thought this coud happen. I will check more closely from now on.

Nicci

niccig
If the serving staff did decide to charge extra, that's stealing and easily credit card fraud. You didn't authorise that amount. If that's the case, I think notifying the restaurant management and the credit card company is warranted. If the restaurant is difficult I would throw around terms like fraud and let them now I've notified the credit card company. Too many people pay with credit cards for a company to get in trouble with them.

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

jal
07-26-2006, 04:21 PM
It's things like this that keep me wondering why people use debit cards over credit cards.

With credit cards, you're playing with someone else's money until all this stuff comes out in the wash.

I had a co-worker that purchased lunch on a debit card and the establishment made a mistake a double charged him for his meal. Well because he maintains a nearly zero balance in his account, this double charge made the difference in an an auto-debit for a bill that processed that night to cause his account to "bounce" and electronic check (along with all the fees from both the merchant and the bank to go along with it). It took many phone calls before he was ever made whole after the merchant's mistake.
Now the same thing has happened to me (get double charged), but since I used a credit card, it only took one call to the merchant to reverse the 2nd charge (and if they would not, the CC company would). No extra fees, little to no waisted time making phone call after phone call getting things straitened out and working out for someone else to take responsibility for those fees.

jal
It's things like this that keep me wondering why people use debit cards over credit cards.

With credit cards, you're playing with someone else's money until all this stuff comes out in the wash.

I had a co-worker that purchased lunch on a debit card and the establishment made a mistake a double charged him for his meal. Well because he maintains a nearly zero balance in his account, this double charge made the difference in an an auto-debit for a bill that processed that night to cause his account to "bounce" and electronic check (along with all the fees from both the merchant and the bank to go along with it). It took many phone calls before he was ever made whole after the merchant's mistake.
Now the same thing has happened to me (get double charged), but since I used a credit card, it only took one call to the merchant to reverse the 2nd charge (and if they would not, the CC company would). No extra fees, little to no waisted time making phone call after phone call getting things straitened out and working out for someone else to take responsibility for those fees.

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

spunkybaby
07-26-2006, 04:59 PM
A sandwich place once put an extra $2 on my credit card than I had authorized. I called my credit card company and told them; they just refunded the $2 on my bill. What irked me was that they refused to investigate the fraudulent charge because the amount was so little. It made me feel like the teenage staff at the sandwich place could keep adding little amounts to customers' charges without anyone caring.

I know you used a debit card, not a credit card, but I would start by calling your bank first.

HTH

Not-so-new mom to a spunky toddler
March 2004

spunkybaby
A sandwich place once put an extra $2 on my credit card than I had authorized. I called my credit card company and told them; they just refunded the $2 on my bill. What irked me was that they refused to investigate the fraudulent charge because the amount was so little. It made me feel like the teenage staff at the sandwich place could keep adding little amounts to customers' charges without anyone caring.

I know you used a debit card, not a credit card, but I would start by calling your bank first.

HTH

March 2004

spunkybaby

HTH

March 2004

spunkybaby

HTH

March 2004

spunkybaby

HTH

March 2004

spunkybaby

HTH

March 2004

spunkybaby

HTH

March 2004

spunkybaby

HTH

March 2004

spunkybaby

HTH

March 2004

american_mama
07-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Alaina, I just emailed you separately, but I thought of another explanation. Was anything included in your purchase (like drinks, a dessert, an appetizer or a kid meal) that your server might have forgotten was included in the price, and thus mistakenly charged you for it? That happened to me a few times, specifically being charged for a dessert that was included in a meal. I think, or chose to believe, that the waiters honestly forget and add the dessert on as a mistake.

american_mama
Alaina, I just emailed you separately, but I thought of another explanation. Was anything included in your purchase (like drinks, a dessert, an appetizer or a kid meal) that your server might have forgotten was included in the price, and thus mistakenly charged you for it? That happened to me a few times, specifically being charged for a dessert that was included in a meal. I think, or chose to believe, that the waiters honestly forget and add the dessert on as a mistake.

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

alexsmommy
07-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Nothing is showing up in my email - I even checked the junk folder in case it didn't recognize your email - I think I only have my hotmail account listed here. I'll check again in a few hours. Thanks for your thoughts.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Nothing is showing up in my email - I even checked the junk folder in case it didn't recognize your email - I think I only have my hotmail account listed here. I'll check again in a few hours. Thanks for your thoughts.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
07-26-2006, 08:20 PM
In my case I KNOW, after years of stupid problems, I am horrible about paying off my balance each month. I am ultra responsible in other ways, but this is just one of those things I do not do well. I will slowly but surely let the balance creep up (repeatedly playing a parital amount to free up money for other stupid things then all of the sudden I realize I have a four figure balance and I'm paying interest on stupid things. I don't even carry my cc. Seriously, I have mananged to pay off huge balances only to do the same stupid thing again. So I finally said "uncle", admit this is just not my strength, and decided to only use the cc for vacations and other notoriously issue laden purchases (car rentals etc). Now, I do have two cards, one which I use for this type of thing and then one that has the larger amount of money in the account that the bills are paid from to avoid a situation like you said above. This is actually why the balance was so important, I have very little money in our "fun" account right now. I understand what you're saying - it just doesn't work for me. I need to work in a "cash" only basis if we are ever going to have any savings. It keeps me honest.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
In my case I KNOW, after years of stupid problems, I am horrible about paying off my balance each month. I am ultra responsible in other ways, but this is just one of those things I do not do well. I will slowly but surely let the balance creep up (repeatedly playing a parital amount to free up money for other stupid things then all of the sudden I realize I have a four figure balance and I'm paying interest on stupid things. I don't even carry my cc. Seriously, I have mananged to pay off huge balances only to do the same stupid thing again. So I finally said "uncle", admit this is just not my strength, and decided to only use the cc for vacations and other notoriously issue laden purchases (car rentals etc). Now, I do have two cards, one which I use for this type of thing and then one that has the larger amount of money in the account that the bills are paid from to avoid a situation like you said above. This is actually why the balance was so important, I have very little money in our "fun" account right now. I understand what you're saying - it just doesn't work for me. I need to work in a "cash" only basis if we are ever going to have any savings. It keeps me honest.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

american_mama
07-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Alaina, I;ll email you again if it didn't show up. Just wanted to say I realized that my explanation here doesn't make any sense if your receipt says one thing and the charge statement another.

american_mama
Alaina, I;ll email you again if it didn't show up. Just wanted to say I realized that my explanation here doesn't make any sense if your receipt says one thing and the charge statement another.

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

C99
07-26-2006, 11:29 PM
>This happened to me once, and I was told that the restaurant
>normally runs through an initial "pre-charge" or hold, that
>was my total plus a 20% tip, just to ensure it will go
>through. They then look at what you actually tipped, remove
>the hold and charge your account. Mine was fine the next day.
>You might be OK, but it is always good to check it out.

I called my bank after something like this happened to me and that is, indeed, what happened. (They've been doing this for years [and they do this when you stay in a hotel as well, for tax + incidentals]; it's just that with online banking and access to information instantaneously, we can now see the charges as they appear.) Within a day or two, the charge dropped off and reflected the amount for which I signed. It recently happened to me with gas as well -- I authorized a $35 charge for gas and my total came to less than that. I had both charges on my online account statement for a few days and then the $35 one dropped off.

C99

I called my bank after something like this happened to me and that is, indeed, what happened. (They've been doing this for years [and they do this when you stay in a hotel as well, for tax + incidentals]; it's just that with online banking and access to information instantaneously, we can now see the charges as they appear.) Within a day or two, the charge dropped off and reflected the amount for which I signed. It recently happened to me with gas as well -- I authorized a $35 charge for gas and my total came to less than that. I had both charges on my online account statement for a few days and then the $35 one dropped off.

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99