PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

katiesmommy
07-27-2006, 02:26 PM
X-posted in Places to Go: Car Seats

I have a friend in Cali that has a very, very small 2 year old. He's 32" and 24 lbs. My mother babysits the little boy often since he was a newborn, he's like another grandchild to her. The girl has begged my mother for her old RA, that has since expired. The girl refuses to replace this carseat despite being told numerus times that she needs to replace it because it's expired now. It wasn't expired when she got it. And it's not because she and her fiance don't have the money. Anyway, the point is that she doesn't put him in his seat at all. Sometimes he sits on the seat next to his carseat, not buckled. He has figured out how to open the door, she won't put the child safety locks on either. The other part of the time in her car he sits in the front seat, also not buckled. Very rarely she puts him in the seat, but unbuckeled. The only time he's in his seat and buckled is when my mother is with them. In her fiance's truck he sits in the seat, it's a front bench only. In my mother's van he is in a FF Fisher Price Futura. He hasn't been RF since before he was a year old. He screamed a few times and she turned him around because she didn't want to hear him cry. Basically she gives him anything he wants so he won't cry, her MP3 player, her cell phone, her watch, pencils, whatever. My mother has mentioned to her many times that he needs to be in his carseat and buckled in because he would be seriously injured or possibly killed if they were in an accident. He was nearly hurt one time because he was running around in the back of a RV, she happened to pick him up just before they rear ended her brother. Both my mother and I are very concerned about the little boys safety. The girl claims that she only does it because it takes too long for her to buckle him in and they are just going the three blocks to their house anyway. I seriously doubt that that's the only time she does it. I fear that it's going to take him being seriously injured or killed to get it through her head that she's not invincable. What would you do? We've tried talking to her and she just does not listen. She acts like she doesn't even care. I've said that we should turn her in to child services, my mom doesn't want to do that because it may be very bad for the little boy. How would you handle this situation?

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005
RF in a Britax Decathalon

katiesmommy

I have a friend in Cali that has a very, very small 2 year old. He's 32" and 24 lbs. My mother babysits the little boy often since he was a newborn, he's like another grandchild to her. The girl has begged my mother for her old RA, that has since expired. The girl refuses to replace this carseat despite being told numerus times that she needs to replace it because it's expired now. It wasn't expired when she got it. And it's not because she and her fiance don't have the money. Anyway, the point is that she doesn't put him in his seat at all. Sometimes he sits on the seat next to his carseat, not buckled. He has figured out how to open the door, she won't put the child safety locks on either. The other part of the time in her car he sits in the front seat, also not buckled. Very rarely she puts him in the seat, but unbuckeled. The only time he's in his seat and buckled is when my mother is with them. In her fiance's truck he sits in the seat, it's a front bench only. In my mother's van he is in a FF Fisher Price Futura. He hasn't been RF since before he was a year old. He screamed a few times and she turned him around because she didn't want to hear him cry. Basically she gives him anything he wants so he won't cry, her MP3 player, her cell phone, her watch, pencils, whatever. My mother has mentioned to her many times that he needs to be in his carseat and buckled in because he would be seriously injured or possibly killed if they were in an accident. He was nearly hurt one time because he was running around in the back of a RV, she happened to pick him up just before they rear ended her brother. Both my mother and I are very concerned about the little boys safety. The girl claims that she only does it because it takes too long for her to buckle him in and they are just going the three blocks to their house anyway. I seriously doubt that that's the only time she does it. I fear that it's going to take him being seriously injured or killed to get it through her head that she's not invincable. What would you do? We've tried talking to her and she just does not listen. She acts like she doesn't even care. I've said that we should turn her in to child services, my mom doesn't want to do that because it may be very bad for the little boy. How would you handle this situation?

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

katiesmommy

Sarah

Kathlynn-April 2005

jgriffin
07-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Whoa...what a terrible situation! You could try calling child services and ask for their help. They wouldn't necessarily take the boy away, but they may be able to give some car safety material to the mom to make her realize how dangerous her actions (or lack thereof) are. Or maybe a call to the police department (California has pretty stringent laws about car seats, I believe).

I feel for you, and hope you and your mom are able to do something before anything bad happens.

Good luck!

Jen

jgriffin
Whoa...what a terrible situation! You could try calling child services and ask for their help. They wouldn't necessarily take the boy away, but they may be able to give some car safety material to the mom to make her realize how dangerous her actions (or lack thereof) are. Or maybe a call to the police department (California has pretty stringent laws about car seats, I believe).

I feel for you, and hope you and your mom are able to do something before anything bad happens.

Good luck!

Jen

jgriffin

Good luck!

Jen

jgriffin

Good luck!

Jen

jgriffin

Good luck!

Jen

jgriffin

Good luck!

Jen

jgriffin

Good luck!

Jen

jgriffin

Good luck!

Jen

jgriffin

Good luck!

Jen

katiesmommy
07-27-2006, 04:10 PM
do you know if they have videos, brochures and such would just be too easy for her to ignore or throw away. A video my mom could just happen to be watching when she picks him up or drops him off one day.

katiesmommy
do you know if they have videos, brochures and such would just be too easy for her to ignore or throw away. A video my mom could just happen to be watching when she picks him up or drops him off one day.

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

jgriffin
07-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Don't know, sorry. :( But I really think it would be worth calling to find out. You could just phrase the questions without giving away too many details ("I have a friend..." etc). I can see where brochures would be too easy to set aside and not read. Also, a video would probably drive home the message a lot better. DH was just in a car accident, and seeing the totalled car really made me think about car safety a lot more.

jgriffin
Don't know, sorry. :( But I really think it would be worth calling to find out. You could just phrase the questions without giving away too many details ("I have a friend..." etc). I can see where brochures would be too easy to set aside and not read. Also, a video would probably drive home the message a lot better. DH was just in a car accident, and seeing the totalled car really made me think about car safety a lot more.

jgriffin

jgriffin

jgriffin

jgriffin

jgriffin

jgriffin

jgriffin

jal
07-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Sounds like the only way she's going to change her seatbelt ways is seeing one of those videos they used to show in high school driving class (except we need to see what happens to a child), or she gets discovered by a police officer and gets a ticket because of it.

jal
Sounds like the only way she's going to change her seatbelt ways is seeing one of those videos they used to show in high school driving class (except we need to see what happens to a child), or she gets discovered by a police officer and gets a ticket because of it.

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

Marisa6826
07-27-2006, 08:49 PM
I've said
>that we should turn her in to child services, my mom doesn't
>want to do that because it may be very bad for the little boy.

Well, sadly, I think it would be much worse for the little boy to end up in a fatal car accident.

Call CPS. God forbid something were to happen to him, you'd never forgive yourself.

Sounds like this may not be the only thing this mother is lax on.

-m

Marisa6826
I've said

Well, sadly, I think it would be much worse for the little boy to end up in a fatal car accident.

Call CPS. God forbid something were to happen to him, you'd never forgive yourself.

-m

Marisa6826
I've said

-m

Marisa6826
I've said

-m

Marisa6826
I've said

-m

Marisa6826
I've said

-m

Marisa6826
I've said

-m

Marisa6826
I've said

-m

Marisa6826
I've said

-m

C99
07-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Well, CPS in California uses carseats.

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

katiesmommy
07-27-2006, 10:23 PM
I know what you mean, and this is my opinion to, however I don't have any proof. My mother would have to be the one to call, as I live 2 states away. I don't know anything about when he's dropped off, picked up, etc.

katiesmommy
I know what you mean, and this is my opinion to, however I don't have any proof. My mother would have to be the one to call, as I live 2 states away. I don't know anything about when he's dropped off, picked up, etc.

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

tiapam
07-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Maybe your mom should refuse to babysit unless she is satisfied that the child is being properly buckled in. She sounds like someone who would be pretty upset to lose a good babysitter.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam
Maybe your mom should refuse to babysit unless she is satisfied that the child is being properly buckled in. She sounds like someone who would be pretty upset to lose a good babysitter.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

mommyto4
07-28-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm Sarah's mom. I don't want to quit babysitting this little boy. I love him dearly. This has give me some good ideas and the strenght to do what I should have done along time ago. I'll call the sherrif's office today and see if they can help. I'm truely concerned about this little boys safety. I have talked to his mother til I'm blue in the face but she just doesn't get it. I just wish I could get her to see how unsafe this is. She just seems to think that she is invensible and that nothing bad will ever happen to her. I really don't understand that kind of thinking. Bad things can happen to anyone at any time. Thank you all so much for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. And, thank you Sarah for getting this thing started for me I love you with all my heart.(mom)

mommyto4
07-28-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm Sarah's mom. I don't want to quit babysitting this little boy. I love him dearly. This has give me some good ideas and the strenght to do what I should have done along time ago. I'll call the sherrif's office today and see if they can help. I'm truely concerned about this little boys safety. I have talked to his mother til I'm blue in the face but she just doesn't get it. I just wish I could get her to see how unsafe this is. She just seems to think that she is invensible and that nothing bad will ever happen to her. I really don't understand that kind of thinking. Bad things can happen to anyone at any time. Thank you all so much for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. And, thank you Sarah for getting this thing started for me I love you with all my heart.(mom)

VClute
07-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Good for your for worrying so much about this little boy - even when not in your care. I worked in an Emergency Department once and I *SAW* a couple (who were buckled in) walk away from the hospital following their accident with only a couple of scrapes. Their non-buckled in baby, though, was left behind - in the morgue. They couldn't stand hearing her cry, so they took her out of her seat, "for just a minute" to comfort her. Another car lost control and hit them. This sad story was enough for me to NEVER think of leaving DS unbuckled, even if it's just to move the car to a different parking space! Maybe a quick google search of similar stories would give you a few anecdotes to snap her out of it.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

VClute
07-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Good for your for worrying so much about this little boy - even when not in your care. I worked in an Emergency Department once and I *SAW* a couple (who were buckled in) walk away from the hospital following their accident with only a couple of scrapes. Their non-buckled in baby, though, was left behind - in the morgue. They couldn't stand hearing her cry, so they took her out of her seat, "for just a minute" to comfort her. Another car lost control and hit them. This sad story was enough for me to NEVER think of leaving DS unbuckled, even if it's just to move the car to a different parking space! Maybe a quick google search of similar stories would give you a few anecdotes to snap her out of it.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

katiesmommy
07-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Wow, I am so sorry that you had to witness that. It is very sad to me to see people who just think that they are good drivers and nothing is going to happen to them. To me, even if you are a good driver, that doesn't mean that everyone around you are good drivers as well.

katiesmommy
07-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Wow, I am so sorry that you had to witness that. It is very sad to me to see people who just think that they are good drivers and nothing is going to happen to them. To me, even if you are a good driver, that doesn't mean that everyone around you are good drivers as well.