PDA

View Full Version : "Are you having a baby..."

deborah_r
07-27-2006, 05:26 PM
"...or are you just overweight?"

These words were spoken to me by my across-the-hall 80+ year old neighbor yesterday. I know she's old, but do you really lose all ability to filter your thoughts as you age? I'm trying not to be angry about it, but I just can't believe she asked me this.

When she saw the look on my face, she said "Oh, did that sound bad?" I said, "Well, it didn't exactly make my day."

And, no, I am not having a baby, that I am aware of.

deborah_r

These words were spoken to me by my across-the-hall 80+ year old neighbor yesterday. I know she's old, but do you really lose all ability to filter your thoughts as you age? I'm trying not to be angry about it, but I just can't believe she asked me this.

When she saw the look on my face, she said "Oh, did that sound bad?" I said, "Well, it didn't exactly make my day."

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

SpaceGal
07-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Wow that's pretty rude. I was going to a concert once and the girl at security was checking this female concert go-er and then patted her belly and said oh are you pregnant and the girl said no. I saw the look on the face of both...to me if you are unsure just don't say anything at all. Some people have no common sense or manners for that manner.

SpaceGal
Wow that's pretty rude. I was going to a concert once and the girl at security was checking this female concert go-er and then patted her belly and said oh are you pregnant and the girl said no. I saw the look on the face of both...to me if you are unsure just don't say anything at all. Some people have no common sense or manners for that manner.

SpaceGal

SpaceGal

SpaceGal

SpaceGal

SpaceGal

SpaceGal

SpaceGal

katiesmommy
07-27-2006, 05:41 PM
If you have to ask you shouldn't say anything at all. Old or not, you just don't say something like that. Unless there is a baby coming out of you, no one should ever ask if you are pregnant. I'm sorry, and I totally sympathize with you.

katiesmommy
If you have to ask you shouldn't say anything at all. Old or not, you just don't say something like that. Unless there is a baby coming out of you, no one should ever ask if you are pregnant. I'm sorry, and I totally sympathize with you.

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

katiesmommy

jgriffin
07-27-2006, 06:11 PM
"Are you stupid, or just rude?"

Or words to that effect.

Not that I would have the guts to say something like that, at least not to an 80yo or someone I would see again. But it's nice to think about. :)

jgriffin

Or words to that effect.

Not that I would have the guts to say something like that, at least not to an 80yo or someone I would see again. But it's nice to think about. :)

jgriffin

Or words to that effect.

jgriffin

Or words to that effect.

jgriffin

Or words to that effect.

jgriffin

Or words to that effect.

jgriffin

Or words to that effect.

jgriffin

Or words to that effect.

jgriffin

Or words to that effect.

schums
07-27-2006, 07:20 PM
I agree it was REALLY REALLY rude and under most circumstances would be totally unacceptable.

Having lived with my 80+ year old grandmother for several years before she died, it very well could be a case of "missing filter". My grandmother was a very "gentile" sort of lady, one who used manners to the utmost everyday, but when she got old, the filter between brain and mouth completely disappeared some days. For example, we were in a mall when she saw a very dark skinned African-American, and immediately said (very loudly) "Oh my, that poor man. Look how dark he is!" In her younger days, we would have been severly chastised for saying something like that, let alone within earshot.

You're the best judge if this is what's happening with this older woman. Maybe she's just mean and nasty. I just thought I'd be the devil's advocate this time around!

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

schums
I agree it was REALLY REALLY rude and under most circumstances would be totally unacceptable.

Having lived with my 80+ year old grandmother for several years before she died, it very well could be a case of "missing filter". My grandmother was a very "gentile" sort of lady, one who used manners to the utmost everyday, but when she got old, the filter between brain and mouth completely disappeared some days. For example, we were in a mall when she saw a very dark skinned African-American, and immediately said (very loudly) "Oh my, that poor man. Look how dark he is!" In her younger days, we would have been severly chastised for saying something like that, let alone within earshot.

You're the best judge if this is what's happening with this older woman. Maybe she's just mean and nasty. I just thought I'd be the devil's advocate this time around!

Sarah

schums

Sarah

schums

Sarah

schums

Sarah

schums

Sarah

schums

Sarah

schums

Sarah

schums

Sarah

shilo
07-27-2006, 07:27 PM
well, if it helps at all, pre-DS, my practice was mostly geriatric clients. i've had more 'early-dementia' types make inappropriate comments than i can count on both hands. my personal favorite: the lovely, crotchety old coot who wheeled up to the therapy room door looking for me. when one of my colleagues went over to ask him if she could do something for him, he says at the top of his lungs "not you, the one with the big a$$ over there" pointing across the room at me. yup, i feel your pain... she probably doesn't have the impulse control to stop herself if it makes you feel any better.

lori

Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

shilo
well, if it helps at all, pre-DS, my practice was mostly geriatric clients. i've had more 'early-dementia' types make inappropriate comments than i can count on both hands. my personal favorite: the lovely, crotchety old coot who wheeled up to the therapy room door looking for me. when one of my colleagues went over to ask him if she could do something for him, he says at the top of his lungs "not you, the one with the big a$$ over there" pointing across the room at me. yup, i feel your pain... she probably doesn't have the impulse control to stop herself if it makes you feel any better.

lori

shilo

lori

shilo

lori

shilo

lori

shilo

lori

shilo

lori

shilo

lori

shilo

lori

Lovingliv
07-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Deb,

I am so sorry this woman was so rude.

If it helps, I think you look terrific! As a matter of fact, I was just thinking that you had lost weight.
You are beautiful mama!

Lovingliv
Deb,

If it helps, I think you look terrific! As a matter of fact, I was just thinking that you had lost weight.
You are beautiful mama!

Lovingliv
Deb,

You are beautiful mama!

Lovingliv
Deb,

You are beautiful mama!

Lovingliv
Deb,

You are beautiful mama!

Lovingliv
Deb,

You are beautiful mama!

Lovingliv
Deb,

You are beautiful mama!

Lovingliv
Deb,

You are beautiful mama!

Lovingliv
Deb,

You are beautiful mama!

BaileyBea
07-27-2006, 07:43 PM
OUCH! That's so rude! It's a generational thing.

Quite a few of my GF's and I talk about how our MIL's, Moms, Great Aunts, etc... are obsessed with weight and everyone elses weight etc.. And these women all tend t make comments like these It doesn't make it right! It's quite rude!

BaileyBea

Quite a few of my GF's and I talk about how our MIL's, Moms, Great Aunts, etc... are obsessed with weight and everyone elses weight etc.. And these women all tend t make comments like these It doesn't make it right! It's quite rude!

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

BaileyBea

Mommy_Again
07-27-2006, 08:12 PM
of course, you could *never* say this to a sweet (cough) old lady, but:

"did you spend all day in the pool, or do you just have pruney old skin?"

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

niccig
07-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. That hurts, even when you know the person may be missing a few etiquette marbles. But your response got through to her, I'm sure she knows it was the wrong thing to say, and probably feels bad about it.

Nicci

niccig
Oh, I'm sorry. That hurts, even when you know the person may be missing a few etiquette marbles. But your response got through to her, I'm sure she knows it was the wrong thing to say, and probably feels bad about it.

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

jal
07-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Reminds me of a rule a friend of mine has regarding the subject of commenting on a woman looking pregnant... "Don't say anything unless you actually see the baby being birthed."

jal
07-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Reminds me of a rule a friend of mine has regarding the subject of commenting on a woman looking pregnant... "Don't say anything unless you actually see the baby being birthed."

Melanie
07-28-2006, 05:47 PM
"I know she's old, but do you really lose all ability to filter your thoughts as you age?"

I think the answer, at least in her case, is "yes."

I know my grandmother said to a very close family friend "I've never seen a baby THAT FAT before." Now, my grandmother loved this person, and this baby and all babies very much. I think it was the filter-thing already gone.

scarletsmommy
07-29-2006, 12:26 AM
That makes me crazy too!

When did being old give people a lisense (sp?) to be rude. I have heard so many elderly people in the last few years say that they can say what they want b/c of their age. If you've live as long as they have, shouldn't you have a BETTER understanding of appropriate behavior?

IMO - rude behavior is rude behavior no matter how old you are.

pookee
07-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Wow - sounds like you live across the hall from my MIL. I feel your pain.

In some cases, this isn't a filter-gone-bad things with elderly people.... with my in-laws, I've found that they are rude in order to be controlling. They think they are helping by literally pointing to the specific areas that I've gained weight. I typically handle it by telling them that they are being rude and walking away... not the best reaction, but it's the best I can do without swearing at them. :)

Stay strong!!