PDA

View Full Version : WORLD EVENTS AND DOOMSDAY SAYERS...What do you think of it all?

chiqanita
07-27-2006, 10:55 PM
I saw several news stories today where the topic was "Armageddon" "The Rapture" "End of Days" and so on. I know I've heard these discussions before but never on the news and not like this. GMA had on the authors to "Left Behind" and they basically gave their ideas of what is going on and where it might be leading. Our local news has a local pastor preaching about the "end of the world" and how to prepare. I grew up during a time when Nostradamus and his prophecies were 'big'...every one was talking about him. To hear it all again and to see the world in the shape it's in, well, I'm feeling some concern. Am I alone?

Maybe no one wants this 'reality' pushed in their face, I sure don't like the topic, but I was wondering how many of you believe in it even just a little?

Just to be sure that this is considered a bi(*h let me add: Why can't the news shows focus on some positive stuff like that homeless guy who returned the bonds he found? I'm glad "So You Think You Can Dance" was on, it took my mind off of that other stuff!

chiqanita
I saw several news stories today where the topic was "Armageddon" "The Rapture" "End of Days" and so on. I know I've heard these discussions before but never on the news and not like this. GMA had on the authors to "Left Behind" and they basically gave their ideas of what is going on and where it might be leading. Our local news has a local pastor preaching about the "end of the world" and how to prepare. I grew up during a time when Nostradamus and his prophecies were 'big'...every one was talking about him. To hear it all again and to see the world in the shape it's in, well, I'm feeling some concern. Am I alone?

Maybe no one wants this 'reality' pushed in their face, I sure don't like the topic, but I was wondering how many of you believe in it even just a little?

Just to be sure that this is considered a bi(*h let me add: Why can't the news shows focus on some positive stuff like that homeless guy who returned the bonds he found? I'm glad "So You Think You Can Dance" was on, it took my mind off of that other stuff!

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

kijip
07-28-2006, 02:51 AM
As a child I was convinced I would not live to see adulthood. You see, the USSR and the USA were going to blow us all to bits in nuclear attacks or accidents. Perhaps before that happened capitalism would collapse and we would all be enslaved by warlords. Needless to say, this doomsday line is not new (think 1st century churches that admonished people to not marry and wait for the rapture.)

If you want my honest opinion, if someone starts talking about the end of the world now I just plain stop listening. For me, if it came up at church I would be out the door and looking for a new one. Anyone who claims to know that the world is going to end is a bit to invested in making it happen IMO.

Maybe the world will end. But maybe not. And I learned my lesson as a child- my children will never go to bed convinced they have no future just because I have negative views of a growing war or an oil crisis or I switch belief systems and suddenly believe that the rapture is coming. One day, one week, one year at a time is my mantra now.

kijip
07-28-2006, 02:51 AM
As a child I was convinced I would not live to see adulthood. You see, the USSR and the USA were going to blow us all to bits in nuclear attacks or accidents. Perhaps before that happened capitalism would collapse and we would all be enslaved by warlords. Needless to say, this doomsday line is not new (think 1st century churches that admonished people to not marry and wait for the rapture.)

If you want my honest opinion, if someone starts talking about the end of the world now I just plain stop listening. For me, if it came up at church I would be out the door and looking for a new one. Anyone who claims to know that the world is going to end is a bit to invested in making it happen IMO.

Maybe the world will end. But maybe not. And I learned my lesson as a child- my children will never go to bed convinced they have no future just because I have negative views of a growing war or an oil crisis or I switch belief systems and suddenly believe that the rapture is coming. One day, one week, one year at a time is my mantra now.

cmdunn1972
07-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Katie, I feel the exact same way, but you said it so much more eloquently than I would have! :)

I'm sure people felt the same way when Ghengis Khan or Attila the Hun rode through town. Early Christians honestly though the end times were imminent when the temple was destroyed around 90 A.D. (That's what prompted Revelations to be written in the first place.)

JMHO, but if any preacher thinks that the world is going to end and starts quoting Revelation to "prove" his point has forgotten the historical and literal context in which that book was written.

cmdunn1972
07-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Katie, I feel the exact same way, but you said it so much more eloquently than I would have! :)

I'm sure people felt the same way when Ghengis Khan or Attila the Hun rode through town. Early Christians honestly though the end times were imminent when the temple was destroyed around 90 A.D. (That's what prompted Revelations to be written in the first place.)

JMHO, but if any preacher thinks that the world is going to end and starts quoting Revelation to "prove" his point has forgotten the historical and literal context in which that book was written.

elliput
07-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Yeah, man. Whatever. Fear tactics have always been used to keep the masses from thinking too freely.

With regards to the gentleman who returned the bonds. He racked up tons of good karma points, and we need more like him in this world.

elliput
07-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Yeah, man. Whatever. Fear tactics have always been used to keep the masses from thinking too freely.

With regards to the gentleman who returned the bonds. He racked up tons of good karma points, and we need more like him in this world.

chiqanita
07-28-2006, 07:57 AM
When I was a young teen I thought the same things about the US & USSR. I thought things were going to end up being totally destroyed and we would live in a MAD MAX type of world.

I like your mantra. :D

chiqanita
07-28-2006, 07:57 AM
When I was a young teen I thought the same things about the US & USSR. I thought things were going to end up being totally destroyed and we would live in a MAD MAX type of world.

I like your mantra. :D

aliceinwonderland
07-28-2006, 08:02 AM
What do I think?

"eh..." :)

aliceinwonderland
07-28-2006, 08:02 AM
What do I think?

"eh..." :)

jal
07-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Talk of "Armageddon", "Rapture", and "End Times" is pretty meaningless because we are told that not even the Son knows when, only the Father.

However, preparing for end-times does has some merit, because while the end could be centuries or millenniums away, you can be assured that YOUR end time will come, and it could come at ANY Time.

jal
07-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Talk of "Armageddon", "Rapture", and "End Times" is pretty meaningless because we are told that not even the Son knows when, only the Father.

However, preparing for end-times does has some merit, because while the end could be centuries or millenniums away, you can be assured that YOUR end time will come, and it could come at ANY Time.

mommyto4
07-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Very well said!

mommyto4
07-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Very well said!

katiesmommy
07-28-2006, 11:31 AM
I concur, this is very very well said. Your personal end time will come, for everyone. While I agree that certain things have been going on for a very long time, the "natural disasters" have become increasingly more frequent. The Bible says that he will come like a theif in the night. And that no one knows the day or hour. You should always give your children hope for a future, and live your life just as you would live it, not because you think you won't be around tomorrow. Besides, if your hearts right with god then you shouldn't have to worry anyway.

katiesmommy
07-28-2006, 11:31 AM
I concur, this is very very well said. Your personal end time will come, for everyone. While I agree that certain things have been going on for a very long time, the "natural disasters" have become increasingly more frequent. The Bible says that he will come like a theif in the night. And that no one knows the day or hour. You should always give your children hope for a future, and live your life just as you would live it, not because you think you won't be around tomorrow. Besides, if your hearts right with god then you shouldn't have to worry anyway.

KBecks
07-28-2006, 07:03 PM
If the end happens, it happens. I will feel bad for my children not enjoying life longer, but I don't think there will be much I can do about it anyway.... so I'll keep on living to the best of my ability each day.

maestramommy
07-29-2006, 06:17 PM
What she said! That's what it says in the bible, in black and white!

SteelerFan
07-29-2006, 08:56 PM
I completely agree that all of the world events have been prophesized...and whether the Rapture will occur tonight or 1,000 years from now, I don't really know, but I'd much rather be prepared to go tonight, kwim? Someone once sent me an email and at the end it said something like "I'd rather believe only to find out there wasn't a God than to not believe and find out there was..." interesting, don't you think? My neighbor is very Christian and she said that she believes that this is def. the beginning of the end. That when israel became a nation, it was prophesied that that generation would be the last...???
Anyway, like I said before, we are supposed to be living as if the Rapture will occur tonight.

Amy

kijip
07-30-2006, 01:29 AM
Well, modern Israel is a tad younger than my dad and we are on the third generation since him, LOL. So that has not come to pass.

Believing in something as a just in case insurance policy seems to not be actual belief to me.

I still maintain that anyone who thinks the world is ending now is too invested in making it happen now. Perhaps we are "in the end times" merely because we want it to be the end times?

kath68
07-30-2006, 07:23 PM
ITA. I am not worried about the world ending now. I worry about people who seem to relish the idea that the world is ending now.

I worry about the pain and suffering that is happening right now around the world. Not sure what I can do about it, but it does worry me. It seems to me, though, that interpreting the bad events that are happening as the beginning of the end is sort of defeatist, and an excuse not to try to make things better. No matter what a person's religion, that can't be what is expected of us.

SteelerFan
07-30-2006, 08:03 PM
My neighbor said that it was the generation that was born during them time that Israel was declared a nation--not that there wouldn't be any generations after that, perhaps what it meant was that the last person of that generation to be born when Israel was declared a nation would be the end--like when that person dies? I don't know, it's not my personal knowledge, just something she said in passing. And for what it's worth, I don't believe in God/Jesus Christ as my Lord and Risen Savior because I'm securing an insurance policy for when I die--I know why I believe. But since humans are given free will and free choice and since Satan wants us to question whether there really is a God, I'd much rather believe, even if I wonder at certain times how God can allow certain events to happen, than to NOT, does that make sense? It's not me posting trying to convert non-believers--I know what I believe, and you know what you believe...but wouldn't you rather believe and love in God only to find out when you die that there wasn't than to NOT believe, not feel the love of GOD and find out there really WAS a God? I think that was the emails message, not my personal message.

Amy

SteelerFan
07-30-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't think that the idea is to interpret the evens as an "Oh, well, the end is here so why try..." I worry that people allow too much disbelief to crawl into their hearts, that all of the natural disasters are for us to realize WE are at fault for killing our Earth--that global warming and all the natural disasters are associated with what WE humans are doing...it might end up culimanting in the end of the world as we know it, but those that Believe, those that have read the literal translation of the Bible believe that all of these unrests in the Middle East were predicted in the Bible as signs to be aware of that the end is coming. We must also be aware that 100 or 1,000 years to us can be a blink of an eye to God...and "unrest" might end up being here for another thousand years before the Rapture occurs. What I do know is that as a child of God, I should try and keep myself as surrounded by God's Love as I can, to act as though the Rapture would occur tonight--but even so, I'm a Sinner and I don't know if I'd go tonight or not...I'm not a Bible Thumper, so please don't think that at all--I don't know my Bible as well as I should, I do sin, I do make HUGE mistakes, but I do realize that all of these events have made me question if I'm ready, if I've been doing what I should be doing, kwim? Oy, it's hard to get my point across because I know there are a lot of people that turn off as soon as someone starts talking about God/religion, etc.

Amy

kijip
07-30-2006, 11:11 PM
>I worry about the pain and suffering that is happening right
>now around the world. Not sure what I can do about it, but it
>does worry me. It seems to me, though, that interpreting the
>bad events that are happening as the beginning of the end is
>sort of defeatist, and an excuse not to try to make things
>better. No matter what a person's religion, that can't be
>what is expected of us.

Thanks for the support Kathy! I worry about suffering in the world a great deal which is one of the reason this end times stuff irritates me. It's like, "since it is the end of the world there is no point to fix these problems" to some of my more "interesting" relatives. I believe that we very much have a future and as such must work hard to end poverty, starvation and bloodshed. We have had terrible situations going on for centuries, there is not new about it and that is one of the reasons I fail to see current events as the coming of the end. Regretfully there is nothing new about war, poverty and starvation.

kijip
07-30-2006, 11:19 PM
I very much *get* the "just in case" logic of the email you referenced. I just think that it is simple to the point of being faulty. Let's accept that there is a God and a heaven and a hell and salvation as taught in most denominations of Christianity. Then in this situation does not this all knowing all powerful God, KNOW that someone subsribing to the just in case logic does not *really* believe, but is pretending to believe just in case? If this God knows our heart, as also taught, it seems like such a simple version of belief would not escape his notice. Just my 2 cents. I have heard this "just in case" argument since I was a very young child and it has alway seemed in error to me. A favorite priest of mine said something to the effect that "God does not want your faith just in case he exists, he wants you to believe with every fiber of your being". Now, I may or may not accept any of this but if I do/did I prefer the doctrine taught by that priest.

cmdunn1972
07-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Personally, I don't take a literal translation of the Bible. While I believe that the Bible was inspired by God, it was also written by men. It wasn't handed to us on a golden platter. Because of that, there are literary, historical, and cultural contexts that the Bible was written in, and one must practically be a Bible scholar in order to understand them most fully. (I believe that you almost have to have lived in the time and place in order to fully understand the writer's true intent.) For instance, most of the New Testament books that are stated as being from Paul weren't actually written by Paul himself but by his followers and associates. (Romans was the only one that Bible scholars say most assuredly was written by Paul himself.) Revelation uses a literary technique that was relatively common for its time, where events in history were told in reverse chronological order and were heavy on the symbolism.

That said, that the Bible was inspired by God means that there are themes that are of a general enough nature to be applicable even to us today. However, IMHO those themes are found when the Bible's context is properly remembered, not by use of word-for-word interpretation that disregards the context in which it was written.

JMHO.