PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrr..... Toys R Us return policy

Jenn98
08-01-2006, 05:44 PM
What's the point of a gift receipt if I can't get cash for the things I'm returning?!?!?!?!??!?!? I can only get store credit, which normally would be okay, except I'm not a fan of most of what you can get at TRU and I also wanted that money to spend at our local annual craft fair this weekend on some really nice hand-made wooden toys for DD. It's her birthday money and I should be able to spend it how I wish!! ;)

So, I walked the store trying to find something to spend over $100 on. She's only 1, but I stocked up on art supplies and on the few things we were looking for anyway (a set of blocks, a few more board books, etc.) But, I spent less than half of it, so I guess DD will have lots of art supplies in her future, which does make me very happy.

Whatever, Toys R Us. You suck. x(

cmo
08-01-2006, 07:30 PM
I agree that their new policy is pretty crappy! Maybe you could stock up on some of the basics that you might usually buy somewhere else, freeing up some money in your budget for those nice wooden toys. :-) TRU has an OK section of diapers, wipes, baby food & finger foods, sippy cups, etc. I've even gotten desitin and baby Tylenol there.

Hope you can find a way to make it work in your favor!

egoldber
08-01-2006, 08:02 PM
It stinks, but it puts their policy in line with most other stores. Unfortunately, they were really being taken advantage of by people with their lenient return policy. :(

Momof3Labs
08-01-2006, 08:25 PM
That's pretty typical these days; most stores do that. I often "buy" the store credit from my kids. They get the money in their savings account and I use the credit for something I'd have to buy anyways. You can use a TRU credit at BRU for formula or diapers, a baby gift, photos at Kiddie Kandids, and so on.

kellyotn
08-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Yup. Target is the same. I recently bought some stuff and used the real receipt for a rebate. So, when I decided to return a $7 mop using the gift receipt, I got a gift card. No biggie at all b/c I've never gotten out of Target for under $50. :) But, I'd just never realized that when I bought someone a gift they'd get a gift card back if they needed to return an item.

ett
08-01-2006, 10:01 PM
I don't think there's any store that will give you back cash with a gift receipt. Like PPs said, you could stock up on essentials like diapers, wipes, etc. or buy gift for other kids.

egoldber
08-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Nordstrom will give you cash back with a gift receipt. :)

cmdunn1972
08-02-2006, 09:02 AM
It's really hard to deal with that when you had your heart set on using the money elsewhere. I can totally empathize!

I might do what PPs have mentioned and use the money to stock up on sundry items (like diapers) from TRU or BRU. (Most of the time, their gift cards can be used in both stores.) If you buy items that you would need anyway, your budget would probably not be thrown completely out of whack.

I have also noticed that TRU sells a few wooden toys, such as Melissa & Doug, if you want to do something fun with the money.

HTH!

kozachka
08-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Can you use the store credit for gift cards, say $20-$25 each? Might come handy for birthday presents.

mariza
08-02-2006, 07:32 PM
They normally give store credit in the form of gift cards these days.

I agree, if you can't use them on stuff you want DC to play with use them for essentials like diapers.

Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1"
and soon to arrive "Thing 2"