PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with some moms?!?

1ceng1
08-06-2006, 10:47 PM
We just came back from a kids b-day party where we knew no one. My 3 yr old DD is very social and is always looking to make friends. She approached a 5 yr old boy with a toy and asked him to play it with her and described how they can use it to play a game. He said, and in a very mean tone, "That's the dumbest idea I ever heard!" and walked away. DD stood there with tears in her eyes trying to compose herself. The kicker? The boy's mom was behind me in earshot and chuckled to herself and told her friend what her son had said to my DD as if it were cute and funny!!! Thankfully DD recovered when she spotted a little girl to play with, but what's with the mom? Sorry, but not everyone thinks your little brat is so cute to insult a 3 yr old trying to be friends. The kid spent the rest of the time acting like a total terror. I think I am more hurt by this than DD, thankfully.

BaileyBea
08-06-2006, 10:53 PM
They learn that behavior from their parents! ARGH! She ought to be ashamed. Stay away from her in the future or if you run into her just walk on. Not the kind of people you really want to be friends with.

Sorry you and your DD had to go through that today.

jesseandgrace
08-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Well I can tell you right off that my 5 year old would NEVER talk to anyone, especially a younger kid like that, and if he did he would be in some big trouble. That is so not cute. There are some things that your children will do as they get older that you might never think they would, but allowing a child to speak so meanly should never be one of them. I'm glad your dd is ok.

Melanie
08-07-2006, 01:26 AM
blech. I'll bet I know where he heard it from.

hez
08-07-2006, 07:14 AM
(((hugs)))

That's absolutely rotten on both parts. Payton tags along with the older kids at church, but their parents have drilled it into them that it's OK for Payton to do that, he's littler, and they should remember that they were little once. And I'm working on getting him to ask permission to tag along or hop in a chair with someone else or whatever, like it sounds like your DD has learned well.

Argh! I'm picturing what would happen if one of my friends caught their child saying something like that, and wishing you'd had that experience instead.

(((hugs)))

janeybwild
08-07-2006, 08:21 AM
I would have been speechless. At the very least the mom deserved a pitying look from you...so sad that she is choosing to raise her son this way. He will be an interesting teenager perhaps. Glad to hear you little one moved on. I know you must be so proud of her for her efforts :)

JTsMom
08-07-2006, 08:47 AM
That is just rotten! At 5, he should definitely know better than to say something so hurtful to anyone, but especially a younger kid! The mother chuckling about it is 100% inexcusable. What was she thinking?!?! Ditto what everyone else said- you know where he got it from! Glad your DD didn't let it ruin her day- kudos to her!

maestramommy
08-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Huh? WTF?! One of the things that continues to shock me is how that kind of language and tone of voice is being used by younger and younger kids these days. PP is probably right, picked that up from the parents, or TV. That's something you have to nip in the bud, or he will be the biggest jerk when he gets older. Will the mom think it's cute when he's 12 and says it to her?

TraciG
08-08-2006, 02:16 PM
UGH the mother sounds like she's still in high school !

crl
08-11-2006, 08:25 PM
What a horrid child. And what a horrid mother. But, I am so impressed with your little girl! What great social skills and recovery too!

MelissaTC
08-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Eeeek!!! What a brat!!! Well, like mother, like son. I am sorry that your DD had to go through such a sucky experience. May Prince Charming and his mother both have the runs tonight, on me. ;)

stefani
08-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Ugh, Christine, I am so sorry that you & DD had that experience.

That is not cute nor funny. I hope I'll never let DS say anything like that without a reprimand from me! My DS is almost 3 and he is very social, too. He likes to tag along older children as well, so I can relate.

I am glad your DD found a little girl to play with.

xmasbabycomin
08-14-2006, 02:38 AM
That reminds me of something we teachers would say
after parent/teacher conferences with parents of
children who were often mean/rude:

The nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

I hope the sweeties like your daughter can
always find another sweetie to cheer them
up.

kgoble78
08-15-2006, 03:54 PM
I guess kids really do learn how to behave from their parents. Ugh!

jenjenfirenjen
08-17-2006, 11:29 PM
Ugh. That is so mean. I'm so sorry your little sweetie had to go through that.

I'm finding that dealing with mean older kids to be one of the harder parts of parenting lately. My DS is also super social and friendly and doesn't understand why older kids don't want to play with him. Today at Barnes & Noble, he sat on a bench that had a "Cars" book on it to look at it. An older boy immediated rushed over and grabbed the book and said, "could you go away." DS didn't understand and sat there still trying to see the book (but not trying to take it away from the older boy.) The older boy kept saying rude things while his mom a few feet away would just say his name in a warning tone but never actually corrected his behavior.

OK, I'm about to cry just thinking about it. You can bet my kids will learn to be nice to other kids of all ages.

AnaC.
07-27-2007, 06:00 PM
some parents think that everything their kids do is the cutest thing ever and they spoil them in that way, oh he kicked that kid!!! so cute!!! Oh my god, he hates his food and would just kick the dish and trow it all over the floor!!! So cute!!!

The problem with some parents honestly is to think that loving their kid is finding adorable everything they do and not telling them how mean they were with someone or with some action, personally if I see my kid doing something like that I take that toy away from him and teach him to share, love is though sometimes and that is the best kind of love, the one that gives something positive and makes kids learn the reality of society.

Be glad your little girl is not as mean as that kid and be sorry for that mom, she really doesn't know what is coming her way, just wait until that little stinker turns at her and shows her how cute he really is when he is mean at her too.

Oh and another thing I would have done is turn to her and tell her how mean and stupid what her kid did was, but I am just the kind of person who cannot be quiet sometimes, gotta say what I think, especially when is directed to my kid.

Fairy
07-27-2007, 10:28 PM
This is an old thread, so to avoid confusion, I am locking it.