PDA

View Full Version : Oh, She has brothers.....

Pennylane
08-08-2006, 05:14 PM
I have never posted a bitch but I am so tired of hearing this excuse that I just had to get it off my chest.

So we are at the park today and I am watching my 4 yr old dd having fun running around playing. She normally hangs pretty close to me around new people so I was thrilled that she was playing by herself. Anyway this other little girl about 5 or 6 starts following her around, getting on everything before my DD can, being rude, even pushes my DD. Of course I walk over to my DD to make sure she is o.k and the other mom also comes over and says " Oh,Sorry. She's just like that because she has brothers".

Excuse me, but when did that become an acceptable excuse to be aggressive, mean, and rude? This is by no means the first time I've heard this and it just makes me crazy! I mean my dd has a brother but as far as I am concerned she is still accountable for her actions!

OK, enough said!
Ann

Jenn98
08-08-2006, 06:51 PM
That's stupid. Having brothers makes you tough as in you learn how to protect your dollhouse from the invasion of GI Joes that are coming down the hallway. It does not give you license to be mean and rude. That's insulting to boys - just cause you're a boy does not mean you get to be aggressive and hurtful. I agree, kids should be held accountable no matter what.

madelinesmom
08-09-2006, 08:23 AM
I have a neighbor with a 4yr old boy and a 2yr old girl. She is much more aggressive than he is, he is really calm and sweet when his sister isn't around. The mom actually uses this excuse when DC shoves my 8month old. Who is she kidding... DS did not make her DD this way I guess she is making excuses for a natural 2yr old reaction to my 8month old touching her stuff. She has never hurt her and we are always there so we always talk about soft touches with babies etc. But I am a little "jealous" Ha Ha Ha, that I won't have this excuse later on when Emily starts shoving other kids.

Jane
Madeline and Emily's Mom
1/20/03 11/29/05

janeybwild
08-09-2006, 08:24 AM
That's a lousy excuse if ever I heard one. If anyone says that to me, thanks to you, I'm now ready with a response " Gosh, you must have to work extra hard to make sure she knows how to play appropriatly with other children. Good luck with that, looks like you have a ways to go" :)

Pennylane
08-09-2006, 08:36 AM
If you don't mind I'm going to steal that response for next time!

Ann

MelissaTC
08-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Um...that is so lame. My friend grew up with 3 brothers and she is a football fanatic. Doesn't mean she is shoving everyone that gets in her way. There is no excuse for such behavior, let alone blaming it on siblings. It is more like "Oh Sorry. She's just like that because her Mommy and Daddy don't take the time to teach her how to properly behave".

MartiesMom2B
08-09-2006, 11:21 AM
What a lame excuse. Last year when I worked at DD's preschool in the crib room, my co worker was telling me about a little boy (~ 13 months) who would tackle and wrestle the other children in there. When she told the parents, the mom said "oh he does that with his brother. We think it's cute" Lady it's not cute when he's hurting other children!

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

Melanie
08-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Ugh. How annoying. A friend & I were just talking about this the other day: How people just make excuse after excuse for their kids. Why not try to actually find out what is going on and help them change it? I have another friend who's response for everything her kid does is "She's an only child." Yeah, like that is not going to PISS me off since I was one. And how about the fact that until 11 months ago my child was an only child and he sure as heck didn't act like that.

Sorry to hijack, but I totally hear it. What's up with the EXCUSES for poor behavior?

saschalicks
08-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Um I have an older brother and I never pushed. My sons will not be allowed to rough play with other children even though they have each other. This is not an excuse for her behavior it's what you try to do to make yourself feel better about bad parenting. I woulda' said "gee that's funny b/c DD has a brother too and she would never push another child." That woulda' shut her a$$ up.

mommy_someday
08-09-2006, 10:17 PM
<applause> That's a great response!