PDA

View Full Version : Ebay--Games People Play

MommytoDylan
08-11-2006, 06:21 PM
I was completely shocked by the games people are playing on Ebay this week! I listed a bunch of things for the first time in quite awhile and got several emails that involved questionable requests. The worst was a lady telling me she wouldn't be in town when my auction for nursing tanks ended and she needed both of the bras listed (indiv. auctions) because she had to take them to children's hospital for privacy during nursing. Well, my son was in the NICU for a few weeks and I know how terrible that is. My first instinct was to just send them to her free. Then I noticed her ebay name suggested she was a nursing mom. I looked at her feedback and it was obvious that she buys and sells nursing bras and maternity clothes. What was interesting, however, was that every one of the auctions she won was either ended early (and sold at a ridiculously low price to her--$2.00 for 4 nice maternity shirts, etc.) or buy it now.

I emailed her back that I, too, had a child in the NICU and these nursing tanks would be perfect for that. I said if she bid high enough she'd likely get them and that I'd mail them to wherever the winner requested. I didn't want to end the auction early, though, as I didn't feel that was fair to people who had already bid. She emailed back that I didn't have to end the auction early but just add a Buy it Now feature and she'd show me how to do it if I needed help. I responded that I had several watchers already after just a few hours listed and I wanted to see how high the auction would go.

I can't believe someone can go to sleep at night knowing they pretend to have a child in the hospital to trick people into selling them clothes cheaply. I'm sure several give them free too.

Glad to get that off my chest! Be careful when selling maternity and nursing wear! She's still out there.

Meredith

trumansmom
08-11-2006, 07:16 PM
I hear ya! About a year ago someone emailed me and told me some sob story about her husband being hit by a truck and that she could afford to pay for the shoes she bought for her daughter. Feeling generous, I went ahead and mailed them to her. Then a week later I went and checked her feedback. She was buying Oililly and Catimini left and right! I was stunned.

Oh well, live and learn. I figure I still get the karma points whether she was a jerk or not. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

madelinesmom
08-11-2006, 11:46 PM
I am so glad you posted this, I am going to start selling some things Monday of my DC that they can no longer wear or I don't like. I probably would have fallen for some sob story but now I will be more I will be more aware of what people might do to get a really cute outfit for nothing. I have been buying on EBay for 5 or 6 years and it never crossed my mind to do anything like this, I am too scared that I will get bad Feedback...

Jane
Madeline and Emily's Mom
1/20/03 11/29/05

buddyleebaby
08-12-2006, 11:25 AM
That is HORRIBLE.
Hoping she dreams of nothing but Jiminy Cricket.

kcimato
08-13-2006, 08:56 AM
There was a woman on our local craigslist that was doing almost the same thing. She was buying things then reselling them at a higher price. Some people recognizrd their things.

Radosti
08-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Wow, that's low. I used to search garage sales for perfumes/colognes that were discontinued and sell them on Ebay. People get very nostalgic about scents they haven't seen in years. I was once selling a men's cologne that I picked up at a garage sale. I listed it for $20 and some guy e-mailed me offering me $30 to end the auction early. I was weirded out, so replied that I prefer not to end it. Well, the guy stopped bidding at $140 and the auction closed at $170. He must have known it was a very valuable cologne and was trying to scam me. I was annoyed.

jesseandgrace
08-14-2006, 09:38 AM
I've become so disgusted by ebay I don't use it anymore. I would if I really needed something rare, but I don't just buy random stuff there anymore.

kgoble78
08-15-2006, 03:13 PM
People can be downright horrible! She will get what is coming to her.

TwinsItIs
08-23-2006, 03:01 AM
Btw, you can and should probably report her to Ebay for what she's doing. She's trying to scam. Do you still have her email exchanges?

MommytoDylan
08-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Yes! It was all on the ebay message thing. I will report her. THanks for the suggestion!

Meredith