PDA

View Full Version : mini van question

nyc_mom
08-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi all,

Trying to decide on a mini-van and want to know how important the dual power sliding doors are. On the Sienna, only the more expensive model comes with the dual sliding doors and we're looking to save a little money. (BTW, we chose the Sienna over the Odyessey b/c we wanted the AWD). Thanks!

nyc_mom

jesseandgrace
08-14-2006, 08:31 PM
I LOVE them.

hez
08-14-2006, 08:37 PM
FIL's doors are manual on both sides. Ours are powered on both sides. I'm extremely happy that we got the dual powered doors.

I suppose if I were to compromise, I could have lived with a single powered door, but only because I have an only child right now. If I had to get two or more kids into seats, I'd want easy access from both sides.

nyc_mom
08-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Just realized I accidentally posted here instead of the Lounge. Must be my sleep deprived brain. Thanks for the advice. I'm also going to post over in the Lounge.

I guess I knew everyone loved them. What I think I'm really looking to know is if I could manage with just one power door or if they really make a huge difference. I have a 6 week old and a 21 month old that will be my main passengers :)

Thanks again!
nyc_mom

hez
08-14-2006, 09:30 PM
That depends-- can you carry one child while you open one of the doors manually? Maybe take the kids with you to the dealer and practice a few times to see if you can live with it?

crAbbymom
08-14-2006, 09:34 PM
My '01 Sienna has just the one and I have to honestly say that I have wished MANY times that both were power. 2 really aren't necessary, we do OK with the one, but the manual door handle broke off several months ago. Planning to get it repaired soon, but with parts and labor it's nearly $200!! MAJOR pain in the behind to open, so both girls (4 and nearly 6) usually go in through the power door side.

Hope that isn't too confusing, I tend to ramble...

Overall: 2 would be totally wonderful, but 1 is definately better than no power door at all.

Milcah

PS: My girls were about that age difference...what I would do is open the power door, put in one of them, then go to the other side and open the manual door,(since I now had a free hand) It's doable...

kgoble78
08-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Very important IMO. It will make things so much easier on everyone. Plus the kids will love getting in on their own and watching the doors close.

Lynnie
08-16-2006, 08:53 AM
I have the hyundai entourage which has both, and I think they come in very handy. However, I don't think it would be terrible to have only one, because it is possible to let both kids in the side with the automatic door, and have the older child's seat be on the opposite side, and let him/her walk across and get into the seat. So then you get younger child buckled in, put down anything you need to put down, and then opening the manual door on the other side to strap in the older one wouldn't seem to be too much of a pain.

janeybwild
08-16-2006, 09:14 AM
We just bought the Sienna with one -powered door....wanted two but compromised. So far its fine. We tend to go in on one side anyway and this way I can keep track of where they are.

mary b
08-16-2006, 03:50 PM
We only have 1 too. It was a compromise for us too and honestly, it's been fine. We put the automatic door on the side of the baby, now 3 year old, made the older child go in first and then the baby. I really like us all entering 1 side and not having to deal with the other child going around the car and therefore still being in the parking lot, not the van!

Mary

saschalicks
08-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Deleted

How'd that get there Sorry!

nyc_mom
08-16-2006, 07:13 PM
THank you for all the great advice. We ended up havin gto compromise because of price and got the Sienna with the one power door. I figure I could live with it for now since my girls are so young and then when our lease is up, and we're in a different financial situation (hopefully better!) then maybe we could upgrade.

nyc_mom