PDA

View Full Version : Petty...

buddyleebaby
08-16-2006, 09:56 AM
My mom is irritating me because she is insisting that I can no longer call dd a baby, and everytime I say "baby" she will correct me and say "big girl".
She IS a baby. I know there is another one on the way but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend dd is older than she is. What's wrong with having TWO babies?
It is my child and if I think it is still appropriate to call her a baby, I will. MYOB!

SpaceGal
08-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Wow...that's annyoing. I mean yeah so she falls int he toddler category but I consider them still babies. I can't offer any advice but I can understand how frustrating it is to have to hear that everytime.

*hugs* and here are some magic earplugs to use when she says annoying things.

Lynnie
08-16-2006, 10:06 AM
so next time refer to her as ancient or an old bag... after all, she is getting older too, and is probably no longer middle aged - gotta be consistent now !

(sorry. in a rather b-tchy mood myself today !) }(

bcky2
08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
heehee, i like that, old bag :) my boys are still my babies and will still be even when they are 30!

psophia17
08-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Harpy is good, too, if "old bag" doesn't suit :P

buddyleebaby
08-16-2006, 11:38 AM
LOL!

Ok, well I wouldn't actually say that to her, but now I'm going to be thinking it. ; )

ellies mom
08-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Ya know, there is a school of thought that says focusing on calling a young child a "big girl" when there is a new baby involved can create problems, not long-term, turn your child into a murderer problems, but problems in the moment because she is used to being your "baby" and will still want to be your baby, and there are times where she simply doesn't want to be a "big girl" especially now with this new kid trying to usurp her role. So, she may find it reassuring to still be called "baby".

So basically, I'm agreeing with you. And yes, you can have two babies. Why not?

seeks1
08-16-2006, 01:59 PM
When I was pregnant with DS I did not know if he was a DS or a DD. I tended to call him "it" when I couldn't think of way to replace he or she that I would have used if I knew the gender. It drove my mom nuts. Everytime she would jump on it. She kept telling me to just call the baby him because when somethings gender is unknown everyone just defaults to the male.

I tried aruging that, after all most men refer to their cars as "She"
I tried telling her the baby would never know and it wasn't a bid deal.
I tried explaining that if I referred to the baby as a He all the time I would start of think of it (see, can't help it) that way and what if it was a girl.

On and on

Finally I said, "You know what? You are my mom but I am this baby's mom and I can call it whatever I damn well please"

She finally shut up about it.

kijip
08-16-2006, 04:39 PM
I am 26, not the youngest child and I am still my mother's baby!

I fully intend that Toby will always be my baby too and he is older than your DD.

I agree with you, your mom should mind her own business.

saschalicks
08-16-2006, 05:26 PM
My dad tells me all of the time what I should and shouldn't do. My continued response is "you raised your kids your way, and I will raise my kids my way." It always gets my point across.

Your mom has no right to tell you how to refer to your child. I'm still my parents baby girl. I'm 30! My boys will always be my babies. I refer to DS#1 as my baby and we clearly have another baby.

lisams
08-16-2006, 05:47 PM
That is really annoying! What is even worse is that she IS still a baby, she's ONE for goodness sakes!!!!! Since when is a one year old a big girl? Heck, what will she call her when she's 3, a lady?

I'm sorry your mom is butting in where she shouldn't.

Lovingliv
08-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Not petty. I totally agree! She is the "big sister" but why should either of our babies be forced to grow up just because we are having more babies?

I think having TWO babies is wonderful!

Power to you Alicia for allowing DD #1 to maintain her babyhood!!!

mommy_someday
08-17-2006, 12:38 AM
ITA with everyone else. I don't think it's petty at all. Your mom has no right to tell you what you can and cannot call your own child. That's just ridiculous! I still call DS 'baby' all the time and he's 19mo. She's *your* child so it's *your* choice. You can call her macaroni-pony if you want to. I hope you can find a way to tell your mom to butt out. Sorry she's acting this way.

Fairy
08-18-2006, 11:50 PM
They do this to me at daycare all the time. I go get DS (two next month), and I say, "where's my baby?!" all excited like, oh there you are, my sweet little dude! And the teacher says, "he's not a baby!" Well, screw that, of course he's not a baby. But he's MY baby. I'm my dad's baby, and I"m 36. DS is my baby, and that's just the way it is.