PDA

View Full Version : Loud neighbors waking up baby, what would you do?

DrSally
08-19-2006, 05:47 AM
Well, at 6am this morning our obnoxious neighbor was screaming sharply at her dog or kids. Since our windows are open with this nice weather, my DS started crying immediately. I'm trying to get him on a better sleep schedule, but as you know, when they wake up sets their clocks for the whole day. Thanks a lot. This neighbor also has very loud conversations outside that we can hear clear as a bell as late as 11-12pm. We have 1 acer lots here, but I think the fact that they're downhill makes us hear everything, plus they're just loud and obnoxious people. We've never even met them, b/c every time we wave they just stare at us and do nothing. I don't really want to get involved with them, but I really feel like going over there and saying something. What would you do?

MartiesMom2B
08-19-2006, 06:55 AM
Honestly, I'd get a loud noise machine or fan and put it in my child's room. I'm non-confrontational though.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

Momof3Labs
08-19-2006, 07:13 AM
yeah, that. or close your windows.

elliput
08-19-2006, 07:45 AM
I'd get a mic and amps. When baby starts screaming due to being woken up by the loud neighors turn the mic on so the the amps, which have been stragetically placed on the edge of your property, blast the sound toward them. Well, at least that is what I would dream of doing. ;-)

Actually what I would do is let them know I have a small child who was sleeping and that their conversation about XYZ just woke the child up. I would even take the child, crying and in his/her pj's, to the scene to drive the point home. I would also familiarize myself with the community noise ordinances just in case it is necessary to call the authorities to complain. Chances are just letting the neighbors know that you can distinctly hear their conversations may be enough to get them to quiet down.

Good luck with your situation.

DrSally
08-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Funny! Generally I am non confrontational too, but I was just really peaved this morning b/c her tone of voice was so angry and sharp, not a fun thing for either DS or I to wake up to. If I do go over, I think I will just let her know that I can hear her conversations and/or shouting verbatium, and maybe that will be enough to have her think about her volume.

DrSally
08-19-2006, 08:00 AM
That's what I did the other night, but it's so nice out at night and during the day the house heats up, so if I keep them closed at night I have to run the air. Seems such a shame and I hate to waste unnecessary energy and create more pollution.

Radosti
08-19-2006, 08:27 AM
I got a noise machine from Brookstones because I have loud and obnoxious dogs. It works wonders for keeping the baby asleep.

ShayleighCarsensMom
08-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Get a whole house fan ;)
We got one this past spring and I love it. IT is generally placed in an upstairs hallway and you open your windows and run it. It will pull all the air from outside in, through the attic and cooling down your whole house. We no longer have to run our ac during the day except a few minutes before the kids bedtimes (and it has been 90+ every day). It will also create a nice humm sound, and once you cool down babies room you can close the window so the obnoxious neighbors dont wake him!
Best of luck

megs4413
08-19-2006, 11:19 AM
I don't know...we're having a similar problem with our neighbors. The gentleman has already cussed me out so...i'm not sure i would do anything more...i call the cops when they really bother me and in the meantime...i'm praying they move...

super_grape
08-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Just wanted to add that we had one of these (Attic fan)
in the house I grew up in and it was WONDERFUL!
You get to cool off and air out your house in one blow!
I want DH to put one in our house but he hasn't had time,
maybe next year.

egoldber
08-19-2006, 06:42 PM
If you're on acre lots, your neighbor may have no idea that you can hear them. You might want to mention it casually, as in "isn't it funny that even though our lots are so big, you can still hear each other's conversations when the windows are open?" That may create awareness on their part.

But I am pretty passive aggressive. :)

C99
08-19-2006, 07:09 PM
I'd close my windows.

DrSally
08-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I didn't realize there were more replies as the original post was moved from the Lounge to this forum. Afterward, I realized this forum would prob be more appropriate anyway. Thanks for the suggestion on the whole house fan. It does take so long to cool the house by just opening the windows. Definitely something we will look into.

DrSally
08-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks everyone for listening to me gripe and your responses. It just seems such a shame that we live out in the country in lovely CT on acer+ lots and can't sleep with the windows open for a nice breeze. As you could prob tell, these neighbors are annoying in more ways than one and just generally crass. Having such hostile attitudes and tones of voice infiltrate our lives (no matter how much you close things up you still are aware of your neighbors) is not fun. Thanks for the suggestions and support

tiapam
08-21-2006, 01:21 PM
This might sound crazy, but have you tried killing them with kindness? Try bringing some muffins or brownies over, mention the noise thing, and ask nicely if she can tone it down. Hopefully, her need for privacy will prevail.

This does sound really frustrating. Our neighbors are literally within a dozen feet on either side. Luckily we don't have any big issues with them, but we don't really open our windows. And I would really like to.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

DrSally
08-21-2006, 06:16 PM
That's another good approach to try. I am a little afraid of them since I was cleaning up in the woods behind our house (lots of junk back there) and I looked up and the husband was standing in the dark looking out their picture window, just staring at me the whole time. That and the fact that they never smile or wave back when we wave makes me wary to even go over there! When we were in the Chicago burbs we lived really close like you do, and never had a problem. Ah well.

dms619
08-25-2006, 03:36 PM
I have gone thru similar problems with the neighbor in the back and her 3 DOGS! There is about 350 feet between the back of our houses, but I can hear them bark all the time. Don't get me wrong, I have my own dog, but when she barks, I LET HER IN! And I would NEVER go out and leave her outside alone.

Getting back to your problem.......check out your local laws.....in my village, you cannot have noise coming from more than 40 feet from your home. Then call the police (its confidential) and let them take care it. Its their job to "keep the peace".

Good luck,
Debbie