PDA

View Full Version : I told Grandma off!

wilelm
08-20-2006, 07:41 PM
We went out to eat tonight and had to wait about 5 minutes for a table. There was an older couple in the waiting area with us. Gabriel, who is 20 months, wouldn't sit on my lap, so I let him down. He's very cautious, so he was never more than about 2 feet away from me. Miriam, 3.5 wasn't doing anything loud or obnoxious, and was not running around, though she wasn't sitting down.

At one point, the older woman got up and went to get a menu. Gabriel started walking forward, so that when she turned around, he was right in front of her. I called him to come back over to me. She sat down next to her husband and said really loudly, "They need a nanny." I looked at her and said, "And you need a new attitude." She sat there ignoring me, so I then said, "I hope you don't have kids--I bet you were a b*tch of a mother."

I just really don't understand the nerve of some people.

Sheila

kimbe
08-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Good for you! I don't understand how people can be so mean! She sounds like she is a terribly unhappy person. You go girl!!!!!

Jenn98
08-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Kudos to you for thinking on your feet! I always wish I had said something but I either can't think of anything at the time or I chicken out. I'm not sure I would have used a cuss word (although I talk like a sailor) because we live in a super conservative area and the woman might have had a heart attack and died on me, but again, kudos to you for not taking it from an angry, bitter old woman!!

wilelm
08-20-2006, 08:26 PM
I live in a VERY conversative state, too. I consider myself a drop of blue in a sea of red!

I don't take crap from anybody, and especially not when it comes to my kids. I'm a pretty scary Mama bear!

Sheila

katiesmommy
08-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Awesome, way to go you!! I probably wouldn't have thought to say something so clever. Kudos.

chiqanita
08-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Sheila you are my idol!

I was just on a flight where a woman actually turned her whole body around to glare at my DH who was trying to hold an unconsolable DS in his arms. It was his first flight as a toddler. I thought of saying "he's a toddler, he can't control his behavior what's your excuse?" Oh I said that in my head but it never left my lips.

I don't know why some people can't be more patient when it comes to little ones.
You keep being a mama bear for your family!

KBecks
08-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Ouch!

wilelm
08-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I went off on a woman on a plane last year who was making loud snide comments about kids on planes, and how they should ask you if you want to be seated surrounded by children. I ignored the first few comments, but finally I just stood up, turned around, looked right at her, and gave it to her.

Her response was the same as the old lady in the restaurant--she wouldn't look at me and pretended that she hadn't said anything, and that she wasn't the one I was talking to. If you aren't going to back yourself up, keep your mouth shut!

Sheila

mommato2boys
08-22-2006, 10:17 AM
LOL!!!! Good for you!!!!

dr mom
08-24-2006, 06:59 AM
Consider it a public service! :)

She'll think twice before accosting any other families with young children...

JBaxter
08-24-2006, 07:02 AM
LOL she should be out to dinner w/ us sometimes. Great job for speaking your mind.

Melanie
08-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Wow! Quick-thinking!

I like the "He's a toddler, what's your excuse?" line.

proggoddess
08-25-2006, 09:25 AM
It's a sad time we live in. Whatever happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all?"