PDA

View Full Version : Don't register at Target!

utahduh
09-10-2006, 09:28 PM
I just want to share my terrible Target registry experience with everyone because I wish I had known this info before I registered.
Target's return policy is that you only get 2 items exchanged PER YEAR without a receipt. Even if you have a receipt, you can't get money back, only a store credit. If the returned item was on your registry, you can get a credit whether you have a receipt or not. BUT, Target is notorious for being "out" of items and because of this, I ended up receiving gifts that were similar, but not items I registered for.
It turns out that if you don't have a receipt (again only for 2 items per year), you can exchange the items that day only for "like" items (of the same department). I tried to do this with two of my items and the Target store was out of stock in both items I wanted. When I explained this to the returns dept, they apologized and said there was nothing they could do and that I'd have to try and exchange the gifts on another day or in another store. So now, I have to go back to Target another day to attempt to do the exchange. Plus, after these 2 items, I can't ever exchange/return anything else in the next year! I have already removed everything on my registry so I don't get any more gifts from Target to deal with.

ShanaMama
09-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I am sorry you had such a nutty experience. If your return is just a tiny bit diff than what they accept, it's like banging your head against the wall. Then they get a supervisor to tell you the exact same thing. I didn't know about the 2 items a year. They have NEVER taken anything back from me without a receipt.
I'd suggest calling the 800 number (on the receipt) & explain your compliant. I called recently because I was charged full price for sale items & knew I wouldn't get back to the store. The guy was extremely polite & helpful, & he sent me $6 in coupons. Not that $6 would help your registry, but maybe they could do better for you. GL

saschalicks
09-11-2006, 01:21 PM
I was just telling my future SIL not to register there for the wedding b/c of this stupid return policy. I hate them! I buy our diapers there and thankfully they'll return if you bought it on your CC, but of course when my DH buys something and I lose the receipt I'm screwed. I'm so sorry you found about this the hard way.

happy2bamom
09-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Oh yeah, I learned this after registering with Target for my wedding. I couldn't believe that they wouldn't allow me to return items that weren't on my registry. I had several friends buy me items that were similar to those on my registry, but not quite right and Target refused to let me exchange the item and get what I had actually registered for b/c I didn't have the receipt! don't they know that most people don't include receipts with their wedding gifts, especially when they assume that they are buying something off of the registry? It was a headache! I tell everyone to avoid their registry too.

Globetrotter
09-11-2006, 07:15 PM
I agree! I didn't have a registry, but just today I went to return something and couldn't find the receipt. I had to buy something of the same value in the same department! I ended up finding something that was $2 less (I didn't need anything else so I settled on a CD) so I lost the $2. OH WELL.

I hadn't heard of the two strikes policy??

Kris

MaiseyDog
09-12-2006, 10:34 AM
I agree Target's policy really does suck. Through the course of returning baby gifts, I did find one way around this problem. Basically, I would get online, add the item to my registry and then go to the store to return it. Since it was on my registry they would give me store credit. This may not still work, but it did in the past.

Margaret
Georgia 2/14/05

KentuckyRK
09-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Speaking as someone who has worked in retail for YEARS I am possibly the only one on Target's side in this case. I worked for a large retail store who took back anything and everything and I can't tell you how many times I know for certain we were scammed.

Stores set up these policies to keep individuals who like to steal and return with no reciept from being able to do so. You can't have one policy for the people you think are stealing and another for everyone else, so everyone is effected.

All said, I know you're not one of the cases of stealing or abusing the system, but as customers we have to be a little more sympathetic to the reason stores have return policies.

The point of registering at a store is that people buy you the items you register for... the items you want. You shouldn't be getting duplicates unless people are ignoring the fact that things have already been purchased. I also don't know any stores that don't give gift receipts on a gift registry purchase so you shouldn't have to return anything without a receipt. And if it's not on the registry then people should still give you gift receipts... remember this when you buy gifts people, it saves us ALL a world of trouble.

As for getting cash back on a gift receipt instead of store credit... I don't know any stores who do that...

kijip
09-12-2006, 12:05 PM
>Speaking as someone who has worked in retail for YEARS I am
>possibly the only one on Target's side in this case. I worked
>for a large retail store who took back anything and everything
>and I can't tell you how many times I know for certain we were
>scammed.
>
>Stores set up these policies to keep individuals who like to
>steal and return with no reciept from being able to do so.
>You can't have one policy for the people you think are
>stealing and another for everyone else, so everyone is
>effected.
>
>All said, I know you're not one of the cases of stealing or
>abusing the system, but as customers we have to be a little
>more sympathetic to the reason stores have return policies.
>
>The point of registering at a store is that people buy you the
>items you register for... the items you want. You shouldn't
>be getting duplicates unless people are ignoring the fact that
>things have already been purchased. I also don't know any
>stores that don't give gift receipts on a gift registry
>purchase so you shouldn't have to return anything without a
>receipt. And if it's not on the registry then people should
>still give you gift receipts... remember this when you buy
>gifts people, it saves us ALL a world of trouble.
>
>As for getting cash back on a gift receipt instead of store
>credit... I don't know any stores who do that...

All of this is true, to a point. There is no reason that the items should need to be exchanged in the same department, for the exact amount. There is no reason that stores should limit reciept returns that are made within 14 days or so (think moms who buy for kids to try on at home and then return, promptly the wrong sizes.) There is also no certainity that the gift giver is going to give the gift reciepts with the gift- I know I rarely, include mine. Want to stop shoplifters from returning things for cash? Beef up security rather than hassle legit customers with legit returns. My husband just left a large retail store after 6 years. He has seen it all as far as return fraud. However, his company was able to maintain large profits without penalizing their customers with the strictest of return policies. Some inventory loss is the natural consequence of having an inventory in the first place and should be factored into their business equation.

sdoyle
09-12-2006, 05:44 PM
"As for getting cash back on a gift receipt instead of store credit... I don't know any stores who do that..."

Just an FYI- if you know anyone who is getting married Bed, Bath, and Beyond will return anything on your registry and give you retail price back IN CASH!! No gift receipt required. Their policy was so great when we got married, I will be a loyal customer for life. In fact I go there almost exclusively for my household items.