PDA

View Full Version : What the f*&^ with credit card companies due dates on a SUNDAY???

deenass
09-24-2006, 09:51 PM
TWICE this month I have rec'd late fees and finance charges b/c my payments were rec'd late (by one day) - late b/c the due date on the bill is a SUNDAY (when the companies don't accept payments!!!!)

I use automatic bill pay through my bank, so set payments up for 2-3 days before due dates - but clearly if I set up for a Friday and due date is a SUNDAY it won't be processed!

Is this a new thing? I have never encountered this before and it is REALLY annoying!

Luckily my DH is far more patient and rational and willing to call the cc companies to get the charges reversed b/c my RAGE over this is uncontrollable!!

cmdunn1972
09-25-2006, 11:19 AM
UGH! That sounds really frustrating! I'm annoyed for you, especially since this sort of nonsense isn't supposed to happen when you have automatic billpay! (Isn't one of the reasons people sign up for that service to avoid late charges?)

This sounds like something that CR should investigate, yet another way that banks irritate their customers.

Thank goodness your DH is willing to call them and get the charges reversed!

kellyotn
09-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Your bill pay doesn't tell you what days are "good"? If my payment is due on a Saturday or a Sunday, my bill pay moves it back a day automatically. If I'm scheduling one manually it does the same.

Its not cool to have Sundays as due dates, but I think you need to complain to your bank too! (Fun, I know.)

maestramommy
09-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Yes, we had this problem and another with a cc company. They're turnaround time was soooo short, and if ever we were out of town for a few days we were screwed. After calling twice to complain and get the finance charges deleted, we cancelled the card. It was too bad because it was an REI Visa, and we were earning dividend dollars on it, but it just wasn't worth the aggravation.

rockchick15
09-25-2006, 05:51 PM
i have to set my payments through my bank for at least 5 days in advance or they get there late. I have resorted to mailing out a few sometimes though to avoid the "one day late" trap! I have been billed late fees for being one day late and for sending in the wrong amount (off by $3 whole dollars!). I know the feeling!

robinsonbn
09-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Never had that happen with CC companies but they try anything to get more money. We did however, have an issue like that with Altell. Dh has this thing about paying on the exact due date. So when his payment is due on a saterday or sunday they have actually shut off his phone on a friday because it wasn't paid. He was not a happy camper. He however, gave in and now pays them before it is due. But yea companies are so weird like that!

JElaineB
09-26-2006, 08:02 AM
This is why I don't use online billpay, except for one thing. I would rather know I mailed my payment myself far enough in advance than worry every month if it is being taken out on time.

Jennifer

firstbaby
09-26-2006, 08:18 AM
We use online bill pay too but I go to our CC web page to set up payment. This way, they have my bank info to take it directly out of my account and it is on THEM if it doesn't go. I also get a confirmation number. I know CC companies LOVE to up your APR (an issue if you carry a balance) or have ridiculous late fees if you pay late.