PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Birthday Bitch

niccig
09-26-2006, 05:58 PM
DS's birthday is Christmas Day. I knew he was going to get screwed, but didn't think it would be a problem until he was older. This year we're at the ILs. They open their presents on Christmas Eve, which would allow us to have a little family celebration on Christmas morning, which is what my family did last year. But, I've just found out that DS's cousins/aunts/uncles will be at their ILs on Christmas Day, leaving just MIL, FIL, DH, DS and me to acknowledge his birthday. And MIL who doesn't like to cook probably won't want me to bake a cake as it'll only be the 5 of us, and SIL is having a baby shower 5 days later. Aggh...it's his birthday. I want to do something special to differentiate it from everything else that is going on that day. I'm just bummed.

Nicci

BaileyBea
09-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Big ((HUG)) Oh that stinks Nicci... How about celebrating DS's birthday a week earlier while everyone is around? I know several people who are born around xmas and one person who was born on xmas eve. Their parents work really hard to make sure they don't get jiped.

Have the b-day a week before w/friends and family and on xmas celebrate his b-day in the a.m and xmas in the pm or vice versa. Start a new tradition where your make him a certain type of food or you all do a certain thing as a family etc... Just make an opportunity to have a very special family day. Make fun hats, sing birthday songs w/a xmas twist for laughs. Tell DS you made up these songs just for him etc... find a way to have fun with it.

You'll come up w/something fun... and you'll have to share w/us what ya'll end up doing.

newmomto3kids
09-26-2006, 07:01 PM
I can totally see where you feel he is getting slighted!! Around here, we celebrate birthdays on the actual day, just as a family, no cake or anything. We have parties, when they are convenient for (almost) everyone and that is when we do the *real* celebrating. As long as his birthday doesn't go completely unremembered, I think he will never think twice about it.
My whole family forgot Gracies birthday this past weekend. Well, not so much forgot as failed to recognize it. I am still hurt :(
Good luck!!

Scsigrl
09-26-2006, 07:01 PM
We had the original DD of Christmas eve. What a bummer for the kids!

I was talking with quite a few people about this and one solution they talked about was picking another day for the B-day! My Mom did this a few years ago (she said if the Queen of England can do it then so can she!)

One person said her DD's friend was a Christmas baby but they celebrated 6 months later so they could have a great big old cookout and summer party :) Not sure I would go that far out, but it is an idea that MANY MANY people said was perfectly OK!

just an idea :)

AngelaS
09-27-2006, 05:55 AM
My oldest is a Christmas baby. We always celebrate her birthday with just our family on Christmas, at supper time. We make a seafood dinner and cake and then she opens her presents. Many times we invited over some friends to join us for dinner or cake and presents and she loved it. She never cared that her extended family wasn't there--she just saw them generally the day before.

It's your attitude that will decide how your son feels about having his birthday on a holiday. Mine still things that sharing a birthday with Jesus is very cool and she loves being a Christmas baby.

Now if I could just get the annoying strangers who feel they need to make negative comments when they see her birthdate (like at the doctor's office) to shut up, life would be rosy. :D

lizajane
09-27-2006, 12:36 PM
how about celebrating the half- birthday, as PP suggested, so you get to have separate celebrations? do a cake on christmas, but the real birthday gift giving 6 months later?

and bake a cake. forget how MIL feels about it! it is YOUR kid and you can have cake if you want to!!! she doesn't have to eat it.

niccig
09-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks everyone. I think that what really annoyed me, is that until I mentioned it, the ILs hadn't given one thought to DS's birthday. I know the baby shower is the big event for them these holidays, SIL had trouble TTC, and I'm excited about that, but it's not every day DS will be two. I just wanted to make the day special for him.

As it turns out SIL and her husband won't be leaving for the ILs until closer to lunch, so we can have something in the morning. I'm still going to bake the cake - I was thinking of decorating cupcakes, and to appease MIL, I'll bake and freeze, so I just have to decorate the night before. I like the idea of coming up with some sort of tradition to do on the day for DS, something to make it special for just him. I'll have to think about it with DH. We will have a party with his friends for his 1/2 birthday, as we're visiting ILs for the holidays, so he will get the big party then.

Nicci