PDA

View Full Version : DH: You're not allowed to make travel arrangements ANYMORE!

VClute
09-29-2006, 11:18 AM
So, I finally convinced DH to see his family in TX. (He hadn't been back since he joined the Army in 88!) His mom usually comes out to see us here, but I was tired of having to entertain her all by myself! So, DH and I decide on a week when we could go (leaving anytime after Friday, Sept 22, and coming back anytime before Saturday, Sept 30)

My CHEAP husband only wanted to use airline miles so he "bought" TWO tickets (our 19-month-old had to sit on my lap) and we flew out of Fayetteville, NC at 9:30 am. We then enjoyed a FOUR-HOUR LAYOVER in Charlotte, NC. (Thank GOD for the USO - I highly recommend it.) Never mind that our son usually naps at 12:30 and take off was scheduled for 2:20. We kept him up as long as we could, then he finally passed out on my shoulder just as our flight was delayed for 45 minutes. Plus, I'm pregnant so carrying a hot tired toddler everywhere was EXTRA fun. Grrr...

We arrived in TX just in time to eat dinner. Then we visited like crazy on Tuesday and Wednesday, and got up at the butt-crack of dawn to return the rental car and catch an 8:30 flight back home on THURSDAY. I didn't see Dallas at all except from the air. We did NOTHING fun for DS or me. There. I feel better.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and a sequel! Due 3/30/07

psophia17
09-29-2006, 12:18 PM
He's FIRED.

God - how that must've sucked.

We're planning to visit my family in NY when the baby is a few months old, and DH is telling me that while I can stay as long as I like, he's only going to be there a week. Just thinking about travelling alone with a 3yo and an infant, when there's almost no chance to have a direct flight, makes me sick to my stomach.

Layovers and small children do not work.

californiagirl
10-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Wow. On our last trip I picked flights, and DH asked why I'd picked the somewhat odd timing I did. I got as far as "Well, these are non-stop and..." and he said "Oh, yeah, anything to get non-stop flights." Fire him.

JBaxter
10-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Want me to make you feel better......

When Nathan was 8months old I was going to fly from Maryland to California to visit my inlaws for a week ( with out DH). I try to do this once a year just so Nathan gets to know his grandparents. We are equal distance from Dullas airport ( in DC) and Baltimore airport in MD. I am a fairly orgnized traveler so I had a big back pack 2 sm/med suitcases and Nathan in a stroller.
He dropped me off
No problem
Got inside and could they didnt have my reservation

HE DROPPED ME AND THE BABY AT THE WRONG AIRPORT AND LEFT.

Thankfully they got me on a flight to Fresno I think they thought if I had DH come back I would have KILLED HIM.

thats been 2yrs ago and he is still paying for it.

DH is also NOT allowed to make reservations.

denna
10-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Wow Jeana that is just awful! I thought our trip was bad (which DH planned the leg of it that Im going to complain about).

All the PPs and the OP sound like no fun either!

Well our trip is a long anyway you go, we fly out of Venice, Italy (which is about an hour south of us) but ALL departing flight on the main airlines leave at 630 AM. So we have to leave the house by 400am and did I mention that the airport doesnt OPEN until 600am. Yes airports close! (I never knew that either).

Then we have a small layover in Amsterdam BUT a direct flight to Chicago (which is awesome). Then I wanted to see my family that live in California SO DH decides (like the OP) to use the miles that we have. We take a flight from Chicago-Salt Lake-Fresno and then the return (thats what kills you). L.A.-Salt Lake (w/ barely enough time to transfer planes) to Chicago, then pickup our bags and go to check in to our international flight, fly from Chicago to Amsterdam and FINALLY arrive in Venice. The fly day alone was 21hours that does not include airport traveling etc.

So I want to be done for flying for the rest of my life needless to say! ;)

After all that Jeana I still think you win!!!