PDA

View Full Version : I hate Toys R Us.

Jenn98
10-03-2006, 01:36 PM
I get a tummy ache when I go in there. Really, I do. I hate that everything is loud, bright and obnoxious. Do all the toys really have to be packaged in enormous boxes to make them look sooo much bigger than they are? Does everything have to have flashy, "extreme" logos/pics/graphics on it? Does it all have to be made so cheaply? Does there have to be such loud, anoying music? Does there have to be candy everywhere? The store makes me want to have a seizure. To me, TRU just illustrated the over-consumption and typical "throw away" mentality of America. (And I do realize that I'm making sweeping gernarlizations here.) Why can't TRU be more like other toy stores I've been to where there are tons of toys but better quality and in a much better environment?

And don't even get me started on their return policy. I had to exchange a box of daipers today - just needed to do an even exchange of size 3's for 4's. Nope, they said. Not without a receipt. What?! All I wanted to do was an even exchange on a box that was unopened and clearly had a TRU sticker on the side. I was so annoyed. So, now I have to either live with the 3's or dig through piles and piles of DH's receipts to do a stupid even exchange. ugh.

I hate Toys R Us.

lisams
10-03-2006, 01:49 PM
When I go into that store I almost immediately get a headache. I think it's the lights and bright colors everywhere, or perhaps all of the vapors being released from so many plastic toys. I've never been impressed with their toys either.

Sorry to hear you can't exchange the diapers, that seems so silly that they wouldn't let you.

saschalicks
10-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Jen,
You are not alone. Do you know that my parents NEVER took me to a TRU? I hadn't been in one until my adult life, which BTW is a huge mistake. I realized quickly why I was the only kid I knew who didn't go and wasn't allowed to go. I got all of the toys I ever wanted w/out my parents ever going to that store. I think I'll continue that tradition whenever I can. If I go it definitely will be w/out my kids that's for sure. Why would you bring your child to a sure fire melt down? I will say their return policy has become almost worse then Target, and that's saying a lot. I'm so sorry they are a$$holes.

MNmomtobe
10-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Not a fan. When we bought DD's pack n play we had to get a slip to take to the front. This required us to wait in a different line. Then once they took our slip, it took them over 20 minutes to find the darn thing.

newnana
10-03-2006, 02:43 PM
They should have been able to look up DH's receipt on their computer. I'm surprised they didn't offer this to you. Oh wait, that would mean they actually cared about customer satisfaction... maybe not.

Anyway, I know they have done this for me when I had the exact same diaper situation and did not have the receipt.

Like a pp, the first time I went into a TRU it was when I was 30yo. I absolutely see why we never went as kids. Now I do it mostly for diapers (when they have the $5 off coupon) and to look at toys that I want to keep on my scavenger list for garage sales to see what ages things are rated for and their prices so I know about what I want to pay for them.

Good luck dealing with them!
Michelle

kellyotn
10-03-2006, 03:29 PM
>They should have been able to look up DH's receipt on their
>computer.

I think they stopped doing this awhile back.

oliviasmomma
10-03-2006, 09:52 PM
LOL-the vapors! I can't stand that smell.

maestramommy
10-04-2006, 05:36 PM
I only go there when I have to. It's too huge, like Costco, but for toys. The amount of toys in there is scary and I'm always wandering around like a lost soul. I went in there to find a ride-on toy and half of them were the huge SUV ride-ons that apparently kids can use to scale the curb.

Sillygirl
10-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Another TRU hater here, too. Mine has such horrendous customer service that I decided last year that I don't care if they sell boxes of Cruisers for $4.99, I'm not going in. What I experience in terms of aggravation, wasted time and stress more than outweighs any savings. I get diapers at the grocery store, proudly patronize my lovely independent toy stores, and am much happier. Sometimes there are more important things in life than saving a buck or two.