PDA

View Full Version : Small preschool vent

dules
10-18-2006, 06:13 PM
DD goes to preschool 2.5 hours/day, 3 days/week. I like the school because the classes are small, it's play oriented, and they do a lot of outdoor activities, weather permitting.

The playground is surrounded by large shade trees and covered in woodchips. When it has rained it is very wet out there.

Yesterday it rained a lot, so today I brought DD in rainboots (with shoes in her backpack). When I left her on the playground she was in her rainboots. When I came to get her, her boots were in her backpack and she was wearing her maryjanes to play on the playground.

The bottom two inches or so of her pants were SOAKED as well as her socks and shoes.

This is the second time in a week that this has happened. Both times the teachers have said "It wasn't raining so we just put her boots in the bag." Well it wasn't raining when we arrived either, but it is no drier now than it was then...

WWYD? This kind of aggravates me. I don't like thinking she's runnign around in wet clothing with wet feet. I know clothes are going to get trashed at school but this feels kind of extreme - the boots are right there.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Mary

Lovingliv
10-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Hey Mary,

this happens at DD daycare too! It will be muddy and yucky out...and I have included "playground" shoes and she will still end up outside in the sand and mud in pedipeds. I honestly think they are too busy and the ratios are higher than they should be. Frustrating.
And could you put a bib on her? there is no reason for her to go through 3 changes of clothes during the course of LUNCH. Frustrating.
I feel your pain.....

kedss
10-19-2006, 04:13 AM
hi Mary-

I would be annoyed. When I was a preschool reacher, if the parents brought boots, and we went outside I would do my darnedest to put the boots on the kid.

I would keep bringing the boots and if you can, tell the teacher specifically that you want your daughter to wear them if it is muddy out. I know that we wouldn't usually take the kids out to play if it was raining anyway. It's ridiculous that if you make the effort to keep your daughter dry that they ignore it.

Big hugs

fortato
10-20-2006, 10:55 PM
I worked in a preschool and had a teacher that would consistently do exactly what you said...

and of course, she was the first one to complain when the parents forgot a child's snowboots or something...

I would always ask my parents if their kids had clothes to go outside... I was anal that way.

ajmom
10-20-2006, 11:01 PM
I agree that you should say something. Be sur ethe teacher knows that you wish to have her wear her boots/rain clothes if the playground is wet, regardless of whether or not it's raining. If it still doesn't happern, I recommend speaking with the school's director. While it may be inconvenient for the teacher, your request shouldn't go ignored.