PDA

View Full Version : Grr, still no power after 7 days! (UPDATED)

proggoddess
10-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Update: It is Monday (day 11) and we're still at my parents' house. The power came back on Friday afternoon, however we discovered the flaky power had shorted out our furnace controller board, the microwave, the DVD player and BOTH computers. Probably happened before we woke up and flipped off the main breaker. I hope we can get the furnace fixed today so we can go home! (And then we are buying a whole-house surge protector!)

----------

We're in Buffalo, where that severe snow storm hit last week (to the day). We're camped out at my parents' house where they have a generator. While I am grateful that we are safe and have food and heat and (some) light, it's still such an inconvenience!

I miss my king size bed. We're on the floor in a double fold-out sofa. Everyone has to turn off the lights and stop talking at 8:30pm because DD won't fall asleep in the living room otherwise. DS isn't napping because he's not used to sleeping in his playpen in a new house. DD is also regressing in her toilet training because my parents make such a big deal out of her messes.

It's getting a bit crowded with 4 adults and 2 kids in one house. And I'm not looking forward to stopping off at our house to fire up the generator and run the sump pump tonight. We've shelled out big bucks for the generator and to get our electrical main fixed. And we'll shell out some more to have the tree guys come in and prune all the broken limbs that haven't fallen to the ground.

On the plus side, there were power crews out in our neighborhood yesterday. Maybe the end is in sight.

*sigh* Just had to get that off my chest!

Puddy73
10-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Hugs! I hope that your power is restored soon and that you are able to go home and get some sleep!

The first time that DH visited my family in Chautauqua County was in the middle of a huge early blizzard. The airport was closed, and after a horrible 8 hour bus ride from Pittsburgh we arrived at my Grandparent's house only to discover that the power was out. Everyone else was huddled around a propane heater while my crazy DH (who grew up in Georgia) ran outside to make snow angels.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

Wife_and_mommy
10-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Man, that sounds horrible. I hope you're able to go home soon. Hang in there in the meantime. :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Big hugs, we were without power for 10 days when Nick was 5 weeks old. I slept on my mom's couch while Dh stayed home with the dogs. I thought for sure he would burn down the house with the propane tank he was using for heat. Are your faucets running a little so the pipes do not freeze? we installed a backup generator so now we are fine when the power goes out.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

proggoddess
10-25-2006, 11:43 AM
We are back in the house! Yay! (Day 12) We had power, but the furnace had to be replaced. That was done yesterday. DS woke me up at 3:30 am to feed and my first thought was "Where am I?" :)

I'm hoping the insurance adjuster meeting this Saturday goes well. I need to print out all the pictures we took.

Yes, we now have a gasoline generator which we used to run the sump pump. With Bush releasing FEMA aid to Buffalo, we can hopefully get some of that money back. Luckily it was above freezing the rest of the time we were out of the house, so no other damage occurred to pipes and whatnot.

proggoddess
10-25-2006, 11:43 AM
We are back in the house! Yay! (Day 12) We had power, but the furnace had to be replaced. That was done yesterday. DS woke me up at 3:30 am to feed and my first thought was "Where am I?" :)

I'm hoping the insurance adjuster meeting this Saturday goes well. I need to print out all the pictures we took.

Yes, we now have a gasoline generator which we used to run the sump pump. With Bush releasing FEMA aid to Buffalo, we can hopefully get some of that money back. Luckily it was above freezing the rest of the time we were out of the house, so no other damage occurred to pipes and whatnot.