PDA

View Full Version : Politics In The Workplace

deannamorrison
10-22-2006, 03:22 PM
This is so petty but I have to vent somewhere...I work in IT sales. I enjoy my work, and I have found lots of success with it. The only difficult thing about my job is that there are very few working mothers there. It's most young, single kids or married men who have wives at home who take care of everyone and everything.
So on Friday the Director names off the people who were nomimated for MVP. Usually, the MVP is someone who is succesful and, yes, is well liked. Well, she names off the nominees and there was one person on the list who is very popular but who could not sell his way out of a paper bag. It really annoyed me. And I guess what made me really mad was the fact that as single guy in her early 30s, he has the time to go out with the vendors and the other employees after work to "schmooze", therefore ensuring votes for something like this. Meanwhile, I work my tail off, bring in great numbers, take care of dh and girls...and there is no recognition for me..or anyone else in the group remotely like me. Sorry, it just grates on me like crazy!

kozachka
10-23-2006, 03:04 AM
Sounds like it might be time to look at other options in your field. There must be plenty of other places that would appreciate a successful sales person more than your current company.

I am currently reading "Climbing Corporate Ladder in High Heels" written by a lady who used to work in sales at HP, among other places, and from what I understand they were much better about life-work balance. I myself work in a company where it is customary to stay late and most professionals are younger than I and are either guys or unmarried. It was nice to hear my boss say to the rest of the team that they should try to share work in such a way so that I don't have to work over the week-end since I have a little one at home. He has three young daugters.

deannamorrison
10-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Well, my management treats me well. I just wish my coworkers thought as much of me as they do of people who can't even do the job well.