PDA

View Full Version : Stop killing so many freakin' trees

punkrockmama
10-29-2006, 11:14 AM
I went to get the mail yesterday and there were 10, T-E-N catalogs in our mailbox. I've never even heard of half the companies.

This brings out the total crunchy hippy in me (and I mean that in a good way). Like, I want to climb a tree and sit there until they stop sending me about 50 trees worth of catalogs for stupid stuff that I will never buy.

Oh, and my nipples hurt.

crl
10-29-2006, 03:31 PM
I shop online a lot so we get a ton of catalogs too. Really bugs me, especially since I don't order from the catalogs. I order from the websites. What a waste!

Sorry about the nipples.

alexsmommy
10-29-2006, 05:57 PM
The nipple aside made me laugh.
I am the same way - I keep wanting to a legitimate "no junk mail" list I can get on that works.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

bcky2
10-29-2006, 07:52 PM
oh i know, when we moved here the last woman must have been on every mailing list known to man! i take them from the mail box and drop them in the recycling box on the way in to my house.

lizajane
10-29-2006, 08:12 PM
i worked at an ad agency that received 4 billion copies of every mag in which we bought space. now, these were good magazines and i definitely took home a copy of my favs, 'cause cool, free magazines. BUT they send a copy to EVERY person on the account team, including poeple who didn't work there anymore or who had died.

so i sat down one day and called up every magazine and told them to stop sending copies to all the folks who no longer required them.

and the billion copies stopped.

i have called jcrew before and some others to let them know that i love their stuff, but can't afford it and please don't send me (AND MY DH!) and more catalogues.

time consuming, but you can do it.

and i hear ya on the pain. sorry. it was heinous with my first. hope it is easier with the 2nd-it was for me!

punkrockmama
10-29-2006, 08:57 PM
You know, I've just been complaining and putting them out to recycle. It never occured to me to simply ask them to stop sending them. Uh, DUH on me. lol

We do a lot of shopping online but the majority of catalogs we get are for places I've never heard of and have things I'd never buy (think paintings of dogs playing poker or a nail clipper/weed wacker). Doesn't it suck how places will sell your name to anybody? What a waste.

And I do believe the nipple pain is because we have thrush. Booo, hiss. :(.

Thanks guys :)

mariza
10-30-2006, 12:46 AM
>You know, I've just been complaining and putting them out to
>recycle.

For a second there I thought you were speaking of nipples :P
A sure sign that I must get me to bed!

Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1" DD 1/05
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

Fairy
10-30-2006, 01:32 AM
I wonder what would happen if you did a "return to sender" or "Addressee does not exist" type deal, like you'd do with an actual letter? Ya know, I'm twisted enough to try this. Hmm....

When you dump your catalogs in the recycle bin, if they have your actual name and address on it (rather than "the family at ...," be veyr sure to take that off the cover first. The first place an identity thief goes is the garbage and recycling bin of the average ordinary person, not online hacking credit card companies. Seriously, I shred everything (can't recycle shredding in some areas of the country, boo!), and for recycling, we tear our name/address off everything first.

kozachka
10-30-2006, 09:23 AM
I was upset enough about the trees to call a bunch of catalog, credit card, mortgage etc. companies to tell them to put me on the "do not mail" list when we moved to our home in CA. And the amount of junk mail got significantly less. Unfortunately, I could not get them to stop sending cc offers to DH :(, he had to call in himself and of course he never would.

kijip
10-30-2006, 11:26 AM
>I wonder what would happen if you did a "return to sender" or
>"Addressee does not exist" type deal, like you'd do with an
>actual letter? Ya know, I'm twisted enough to try this.
>Hmm....

Bulk mail does not have address service attached to it like first class mail. Mail people are not even supposed to pick up bulk mail marked return to sender. If they do, it gets recycled by the post office.

Fairy
10-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Drat!

emilyf
10-30-2006, 02:03 PM
This is driving me crazy too-in fact last week my mailman made a joke to me about it. Also, I just our aquarium newsletter with suggestions on becoming more environmentally friendly-it included links to this organization and tips to reduce junk mail. There is a list you can get on, but for catalogs I think calling is still best. I think I'm going to start calling this week.
https://www.newdream.org/junkmail/optout.php
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05