PDA

View Full Version : Am I ever going to sleep again?!?!!

overcome
10-31-2006, 05:47 AM
ETA: I just wanted to add that I KNOW this is a rather petty vent. There are ppl who wish their only problem was lack of sleep. There are moms with sick babies, ppl who desperately wish they could have a baby, and moms who feel like they are losing it b/c they have lots of little ones at home who really have cause to vent. I'm going to really attempt to put my "problem" in perspective. I have a beautiful baby and have been able to take a year and 1/2 off work while still receiving 1/2 pay. I should be thankful!!
----------------------------------------------------

I really need to just vent.

Here is the short version:
my husband started a new job on Monday. HE found out on Monday that his hours are 6AM to 2:30PM. Which means he has to set his alarm for 4:30 AM!!! Which means I will wake up at that time regardless of DD AND if DD is sleeping she will wake up with him taking a shower etc. I feel like sitting in a corner and crying.

For those of you who feel like reading a novel, here is the backstory:

My DD has had sleep issues from Day 1. After sleeping with her on my chest for 4 months we had to let her cry it out (I know some ppl think 4 months is too early but I was literally going out of my mind). We had some real success with this.

At around 9-10 months her sleep was really consistent. Only problem was she was up for the day at 5AM. I didn't mind too much since she was sleeping through the night. I nap during her first nap (around 8am) which is usually only 45-50 min. I would like to stay up and get some things done, but I just feel so tired from being up at 5am.

Fast forward to 3 days before Daylights Savings time. She starts waking at 4:30 AM. Ughh. So I let her cry/wimper until 5AM. She isn't crying non stop, just a little every 10 min or so to let me know she is up.

I decide I'd better keep her up an hour later for a couple nights to make up for gaining an hour. If she was up at 3:30 for the day I was seriously going to lose it.

Daylight savings comes and she is up at 4:30AM. Well, it's really 5:30 AM prior to changing the clocks, so I get up. Next day I let her wimper until 5AM.

Now here is the straw that is breaking the camel's back....my husband started a new job on Monday. HE found out on Monday that his hours are 6AM to 2:30PM. Which means he has to set his alarm for 4:30 AM!!! Which means I will wake up at that time regardless of DD AND if DD is sleeping she will wake up with him taking a shower etc. I feel like sitting in a corner and crying.

My DH work hours will only be for a month or so for training purposes, but the thought of having to get up every day at 4:30AM for a month make me feel so desperate. I guess on his days off I will be able to take a longer nap since he is home to watch her but I just hate living my life like this.

Thanks for listeing. I just really needed to have this little pity party for myself. That said, I do adore my DD and enjoy her so much. This sleep thing is just a real struggle for me.

AngelaS
10-31-2006, 06:54 AM
(((HUGS)))

On the bright side....the world is very quiet at 5 am. :) That's when I get up every day so I can enjoy some peace and quiet. Since your dd's up with you, you could do your grocery shopping, 'cause the stores are quiet (my dh says Walmart's actually enjoyable at 5 am!).

It really helps to go to bed earlier if you're getting up earlier. Or just don't feel guilty about taking an afternoon nap if you need one! :D

kozachka
10-31-2006, 06:57 AM
Ashley,

Please do not feel like you need to apologize for venting. That's what this forum for. It is trying not to be able to sleep past 4:30 AM for months and months. My DS has been an early riser for the first 2+ years of his life, getting up on average between 5:45 to 6:15, sometimes earlier but rarely later. If he slept till 6:30 I was soooo rested.

What has kind of worked for me when I went back to work this June is to use alarm feature in my cell phone and put it on low volume. This way I could get up a bit earlier that the rest of the family without waking them up. We all sleep in the same room BTW. Maybe your DH can try doing it as well. And having my clothes pulled out of the closet and waiting for me in another room makes my days (whenever I actually do it ;) ) much less stressful and easier.