PDA

View Full Version : Whine - Can't DH get a LITTLE excited sometimes?!

VClute
10-31-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm sick of being enthusiastic enough for both of us. I got a GREAT gift for DH for his birthday - tickets to a football game, and a babysitter for DS so we could go and spend the night. As game time approached, DH didn't seem at all excited. I kept saying, "Isn't this fun? Isn't this exciting?" DH: "Yeah, this is nice." NICE?!

He couldn't believe where the seats were. He kept saying, "I'm pretty sure we're supposed to go up these stairs." Me: "No, Honey, we're right HERE, next to the NFL Films crew." (upper level, but 50 yard line, on the "wheelchair" row - awesome, huh?) DH: "Oh." (Not, "WOW! You got us GREAT seats! Thanks so much!")

It's this way for EVERYthing: pregnancy announcements, vacations, fabulous opportunities - all glasses are half-full, and someone's probably going to spill it. I'm tired of always having to compensate for his underanimation, underappreciation and underwhelming enthusiasm. Blah. There's my whine.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and a sequel! Due 3/30/07

dules
10-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Well, I call DH killjoy as an affectionate term so I can relate. I'm also (like you mentioned in the housing thread) the one who does all the research and presents all the options.

I wonder how many more couples there are like us out there? ;)

FWIW I would have been jumping up and down if DH had gotten us tickets in that spot. :)

Mary

trumansmom
10-31-2006, 11:05 AM
>I wonder how many more couples there are like us out there?
>;)
>

Add us to the list!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

ellies mom
10-31-2006, 11:29 AM
And us too. Where other guys are all excited to feel the baby kick and move, DH never once touched my stomache to feel it.

Although I think in the case of your lovely present, he would be absolutely thrilled.

MaiseyDog
10-31-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm in this boat also. DH just doesn't seem to get excited about much of anything. When I told him I was pregnant with DD his reply was "Huh, good, I'm going back to bed." I've come to accept it's just the way he is, and I try not to take it too personal. But I have to admit, I get really jealous of my girlfriends whose husbands get excited and involved with things like pregnancies, buying houses, planning vacations, etc.

Oh well, you take the good, you take the bad.

Margaret

almostamom
10-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Are you married to my husband???? Seriously, that's his personality too. Very even - not many highs or lows. I'm Italian - let's just say I have enough emotion for his whole freakin' family!!

JoyNChrist
10-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Ooh, add me to the list too!

DH is SO laid-back about everything. Good or bad, he doesn't get worked up at all, ever. So of course he married the most emotional woman on the planet, which drives him crazy most of the time. Hehe, I think God has a great sense of humor.

Oh, and I'm also the planner/researcher/motivator in the family.

DeeEast
10-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Oh yes. I call my DH Spock because he shows NO emotion.

Raidra
10-31-2006, 10:02 PM
My husband is the same way. I know he was happy when we got pregnant, but he never showed any excitement. When I told him that we were going to have Lachlann, he just said, "Uh-huh" and gave me an I-knew-it sort of look.

I get very frustrated because I put a lot of effort into trying to give the kids "magical" childhoods. I try to go all out for holidays - not on gifts necessarily, but on decorations, crafts, activities, etc. I try to plan really fun things for weekends so my husband can participate. He never gets excited about any of this, and for the most part, thinks I'm nuts for all the "extra" work I do.

He's always wanted to get his pilot's license, and was even going to build his own plane and purchased some of the parts for it. A few years ago I got him a $200 gift certificate for a flight school, and my parents got him the same.. and he was totally unenthusiastic about it. And what's worst is that he never actually used it.

The only time I ever see him get excited is when the boys are being terribly cute. He does express interested and enthusiasm about how fantastic they are, so I suppose I can't complain too much.

KBecks
11-01-2006, 09:04 AM
I hear you.... I think that sometimes men just aren't able to *show* their feelings.... I'm sure your DH appreciated the wonderful gift even if he wasn't effusive about it.

I wonder how this happens. Little Alek sure is excited and lets it show. I hope that his enthusiasm for life doesn't get beaten out of him as he ages -- or maybe it's just something that happens to guys?? Who knows.

punkrockmama
11-01-2006, 10:33 AM
You know, my husband used to be the exact same way. He was just so...FLAT about everything. I used to call him my sweet ol' curmudgeon. It's taken a few years but I think he's busted out a little bit now. It used to drive me crazy!