PDA

View Full Version : Over-emotional

tarynsmum
11-07-2006, 07:48 AM
*sigh*

I know it's probably just hormones. But I do NOT understand why everything makes me cry. For real. Before DD was born (including the entire time I was pregnant), I rarely cried. I'm just not a crier. I was not an emotional pregnant woman (the vast majority of the time), and I wasn't even an overly emotional teenager back in the day.

So tell me why I can get through a day without getting teary at something.

I've gotten to the point that, if there's a YouTube link here or on TBW/Motheringdotcommune, I don't click. Because if I do (especially the ones about car seats), I am bawling by the end. Just thinking about them, right now, makes me cry (seriously.)

OK, so I'm watching VH1 just now (rather, I was cleaning up around the living room with the TV on), and that Snow Patrol song (sad guy singing "If I lay here, If I just lay here... etc") and I'm bawling. Because over a month ago, I was watching one of those sad "my baby died because he/she wasn't prperly restrained in a car seat, and here's a photo montage plus statistics about car crashes" videos, and that was the song they used. A MONTH AGO. (again, I'm teary thinking about it).

Oh, and I also get teary at stupid things (like Liza's picture the other day of her two boys wrestling? got teary, thinking about the close bond of siblings, or something I guess).

I am NOT pregnant. DD is almost 10 months old. I seriously don't know if I can deal with this for the rest of my life. I will never be able to watch Lifetime again (lol. sort of).

OK, bitch done. Tenacious D is on VH1 now. That won't make me cry. I don't think so, anyway.

mariza
11-07-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't know what to tell you, but wanted to sympathize. I have been this way my whole life, and it can be embarrasing. Getting yelled at by bosses, I get teary. DH says the littlest thing to me I get teary. Don't get me started on Hallmark commercials!
I have even considered seeing an acupuncturist figuring if they can get people to stop smoking/ eating they can maybe get me to stop crying! (only half joking here)
If you find something that works let me know, I honestly don't know how my poor DH puts up with it! I annoy myself when I start to tear up.

Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1" DD 1/05
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

Lovingliv
11-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Heather, I think that when you become a mom, and that little piece of your heart is walking outside you body, things change.
EVERYTHING makes me teary,,,especially stuff that had to do with kids (although honestly, I think I have always been like that).
Now that you can relate to a lot of these issues, it may hit home!
HTH!

jgriffin
11-07-2006, 05:41 PM
I totally sympathize! Like Mariza, I've been like this my entire life. My mom wouldn't let me watch Christmas specials for several years because they just set me off (I still can't watch The Snowman without tearing up). Watching the video DH made of E last Christmas makes me cry. Looking for books about babies for E makes me cry (note: it's not fun to cry at Borders!)

It frustrates me, but I've just come to accept that it's the person I am. I avoid reading some posts and websites, and have told DH many times that there are just certain news stories he shouldn't share with me.

I can't say that you'll ever get over it, but you're not alone in this, um, affliction. :)

Jen

saschalicks
11-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Heather,
You are not alone. When I say I love you to my kids I get teary. Last night DH was done putting DS#1's pjs on and was about to hand him to me for story time. DS#1 just leans over plants a kiss on his lips and says "I love you daddy". I'M CRYING WHILE TYPING. DH looks at me and say see J you made mama cry. Anything that has to do with children or animals I'm done. My best friend sends me e-mails of dogs in desperate need of homes I delete them. I know I'm supposed to forward, but I can't even look, b/c then I get so upset that no one can take that poor dog.

I think PP is right children make this little part of your heart stick out. Maybe it opens the door to a different kind of feeling. I've always been emotional, but now I'm just over the top.

Don't worry you are not alone.

maestramommy
11-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Heather, I'm not an emotional person normally. Didn't really cry at my wedding, didn't cry when Dora was born. Yes, sometimes cry at movies, but they have to really be tearjerkers. HOWEVER, lately I cry at the littlest things. Yesterday I was reading a children's collection of stories from Japan. They weren't all that well written, but I was sniffing at the end of every one! Then I went and watched the trailer for an upcoming film The Nativity story and I was bawling by the end. Maybe it's preggo hormones, but I sure wasn't like this the first time around.