PDA

View Full Version : Underwear Sizes

purpleeyes
11-08-2006, 06:52 AM
Oh, honest to God. Is there some secret to buying underwear that I don't know about? Have I gained like 20 pounds and didn't notice?

Yesterday, run into Target-I need underwear. Pick up some cute Hanes bikinis. Cheap, no pantyline, etc. Of course, I buy size 6-7, after all my pants size falls into that range: 8-14 (on the lower end, mind you-on a good day I'm a size 8). But no, of course not, I should learned my lesson the last time, when I bought the Gillain O'Malley ones. Apparently I should by buying underwear sized for 14-18 sized women, duh? What is up with that? Is the rule to buying underwear always buy a size too big?

Grrr. Now I have to dig out some old ones that won't show VPL so I can get to work.

Beth

ETA: Spelling

Neatfreak
11-08-2006, 07:11 AM
I've found that buying bigger pays off when it comes to undies. Yes, they can stretch, but the result is often not attractive. And then I wonder if all of the other women with the same size hips as I have are squeezing themselves into undies labelled the same size (ie. S,M,L, XL) as their pants are and just suffering in silence :)

JBaxter
11-08-2006, 07:38 AM
** you know how hard it is to read the tag in your underwear while wearing them?***

My Hanes are size 6. I wear a size 12 ( well some 10's depending). Im 5ft8in if that makes a difference.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Are you just ranting, or asking a question? It sounds like a question, but it is in the bitching post, so it's hard to tell.

Underwear are not sized like pants. My underwear are less than half the size of my pants size. You can read the back of the pack to see what hip measurements go with which size underwear.

squimp
11-08-2006, 01:15 PM
It sounds like she did read the back of the pack, but the sizing was off. It's especially frustrating since it's kinda embarassing to return underwear. I'm not sure I could do that!

To the OP, I wish I could help you. I like simple cotton underwear that do not show VPL, and have just been suffering lately to find some nice ones.

LBMommy
11-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I hear you... I had the same problem with Victoria's Secret bikini underwear - I have several size small that fit me fine from 3 years ago, but when I recently bought some more, supposedly same size & style - they felt like two sizes too small. ouch! now I have a bunch of five dollar dust rags. grrr.

Jen

youngmommy
11-09-2006, 02:47 PM
My favorite undies are the Hanes Perfect Panties.

http://tinyurl.com/yzh67v

I've only found them at Wal-Mart, but I think they're available at Target too. So comfy and no panty lines. HTH!

tiapam
11-09-2006, 04:26 PM
This is the opposite of what they have done to virtually all other clothing sizes, and even shoe sizes. I used to mostly wear size 9 shoes, but now I am fitting into 8.5 more often. And if they inflate clothing sizes any more, there will be no clothes for me to buy at all.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

purpleeyes
11-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Hah! This is the kind I bought. ;) I guess they just run 'small', huh?
Lesson learned, I guess. I'll buy what ever size fits, no matter how it hurts my ego. ;)

Beth

youngmommy
11-09-2006, 08:32 PM
I know they look really tiny out of the package, but they stretch alot when you put them on. Also, I think all underwear sizes in numbers are way smaller than the corresponding clothing sizes. Hanes.com says that Large is 8/9 in numbers. I can vaguely remember a time when I wore size 8 clothing, but that was a long time ago, in a land far, far away. ;o) Yet size large hanes undies fit me fine, and size medium perfect panties fit also. Underwear in general is a big PITA (pun intended) for me though. I think you have to find a brand that you like a lot and stick with it. There have been so many discussions in the maternity clothes folder about maternity underwear, just because it's so hard to find comfy undies. The original point being: don't feel bad about your underwear size!!!

StantonHyde
11-11-2006, 01:15 AM
I switched from Hanes cotton to Moving Comfort Coolmax undies because they breathe, stretch, don't sweat and no panty lines. They aren't cheap but I don't care! And I buy large because I wear a size 12-14 and I HATE PL! I got them online somewhere. Sizes in anything are a pain anymore. I don't try new clothing manuf because I don't know how it will fit and I don't have time for a leisurely shopping excursion!