PDA

View Full Version : You won't believe what the nurse said at my dr appt.

overcome
11-09-2006, 07:13 AM
I went to my family dr last week b/c I was feeling lightheaded (turns out to be low bp). So you know how the nurse takes your information before the dr comes in...

well, I of course mentioned i had a 1 year old and I was bf and she said, "oh, still?" um...yes. I told her I wasn't going back to work until the end of January, so I wanted to continue at least until then. SHe says, "is there anything left after almost 13 months?" (ha ha, her attempt at a joke???) I was quick to reply "apparently...she is still eager to nurse"

Next I mentioned that I haven't had a good night's sleep in a year and commented on how mia gets up between 4:30 - 5:00 and she said "oh I wouldn't be putting up with that for very long" a**hole I WISH I had said "and what exactly would you do? b/c I've tried everything and nothing works" What I did say was "I've tried everything" and would you like to take one guess as to what she said...just one...it's the standard suggestion....
"WHat time does she go to bed? Have you tried putting her to bed later???"

Just thinking about it makes me want to cry. Are you freakin kidding me? I've tried EVERYTHING even though every stupid sleep book says putting them to bed later doesn't work, I've tried it.

I thought of complaining to the dr., but I was more amused than pi**ed. How stupid for someone to make comments like that. What compounds the stupidity is that she is in the medical profession. Yikes.

dr mom
11-09-2006, 07:35 AM
Argh! I hope you will tell your doctor (or the office manager) about what happened. I would want to know if I had a staff member giving that kind of misinformation to my patients. You don't even have to identify the nurse, just let them know what was said, and suggest that they consider some continuing education for the staff.

The American Association of Pediatrics, American Association of Family Practice, World Health Organization...pretty much everyone now agrees that breastfeeding is the way to go "for the first year and as long as mother and baby mutually decide to continue."

How is there ANYONE in healthcare who doesn't know this by now?? (says the mama whose own co-workers gape in astonishment and sputter..."but he's two and a half...what do you mean, he's STILL nursing??" These days, I consider NIP to be something of an educational public service announcement.)

VClute
11-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Just as a possible defense for my profession - was this a REGISTERED nurse? Or a nursing assistant? Or an LPN?

Don't get me wrong - I've run into some unenlightened people with all of these credentials, but I found most registered nurses at least know enough to know that they don't know it all.

Sorry she was a booger.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and a sequel! Due 3/30/07

mommyoftwo
11-09-2006, 09:53 AM
>>The American Association of Pediatrics, American Association
>of Family Practice, World Health Organization...pretty much
>everyone now agrees that breastfeeding is the way to go "for
>the first year and as long as mother and baby mutually decide
>to continue."
>
>How is there ANYONE in healthcare who doesn't know this by
>now?? (says the mama whose own co-workers gape in
>astonishment and sputter..."but he's two and a half...what do
>you mean, he's STILL nursing??" These days, I consider NIP to
>be something of an educational public service announcement.)

LOL, I think the same thing every time I nurse Linnea in public and she's only 14 months. I get a lot of looks and comments. Sadly there are so many people in medicine who just don't get it as I'm sure you are all to aware of. When Linnea had her doctor's appointment last week, the nurse and the ped were surprised that she was still nursing and suggested I put her on soymilk (see my post in the feeding forum) because she is so tiny. They gave the impression that they thought breastmilk had no nutritional value at this point. Why oh why can't medical professionals (especially those who treat children) get the point.

Ashley, I'm sorry you ran into a very uninformed nurse, and I would suggest commenting to the doctor or office manager as well. That nurse obviously needs some additional training.

overcome
11-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Well now I'm curious as to her creditials. I am going to ask the dr at my follow up appt in dec. I'm sure her initials are in the chart. That will be a nice segue to telling him the comments she made too! He is a super cool guy so I think he would be receptive to hearing my concerns.

Believe me, I don't assume all nurses are as ignorant as she was...I'm judging her as an individual...not the whole profession. I've had dealings with some WONDERFUL nurses (esp. my l&d nurse!).

lizajane
11-09-2006, 11:26 PM
ugh. i think the ONLY dr who EVER seemed PLEASED to hear that i was breastfeeding dylan at 14 months was his pediatric allergist. he was delighted. even my ped was less than encouraging, and i really like her.

as for the later bedtime... um, YEAH we tried that... and here is what happens- my kid is REALLY tired at night and a disaster, then wakes up EARLIER and then is a HUGE diaster because it is 5am in the morning and the poor kid got NO FREAKIN' SLEEP.

oh, i SO hear ya on that one.