PDA

View Full Version : Pet groomer GRRRRRRR!

Edensmum
11-10-2006, 10:09 PM
This is my first Bitch posted, though I respond here. I have never been to a groomer before and due to the issues we are having I am thinking it's necessary now.
Is this normal?

I have two Main Coon cats. We have been having issues with poop getting stuck in their long fur. I made an appt with a groomer that our vet recommended.
they said they would shave the hair on their back ends, shampoo them and clip their nails. All for about $35. It would be more expensive if they were not cooperative and it took several staff to complete their grooming.

I made the appt and went shlepped two 15+lb cats in a giant carrier to their shop. Upon arrival I notice they are right on the main street in a down town area. It says on 5 different large signs on the front door, cash only. There is no way I can come up with cash on no notice.
I go to enter and there is chow standing blocking the door. I am not going to open the door to a large unfamiliar dog with two cats in my arms. I am not sure if the dog is aggressive and more to the point I don't want her to get out onto this main street.
A woman comes to the door and says "come in" I tell her I won't bring them in with the dog loose because it will scare them and they are already stressed. She seems anoyed and puts the dog behind a barrier.
I ask if she can take a check, she says no. There a few cages that are filled with dogs and several dogs in an open area being groomed.
She askes if they are friendly. I say generally yes, but with all the dogs around I think they will be really stressed.
She says "It's a pet business, we have pets around, there is nothing I can do about it." With a really anoyed tone.
I say thank you and tell her this isn't going to work out. I don't think they can accomodate cats properly and that it will be more traumatic than it's worth. I also mention that they should mention on the phone the cash only thing as it would have been good to know in advance.
She yells "It's a cash business!! I don't know what you want from me!"
I left. I would not leave my pets with someone who seemed so oblivious to the importance of meeting their needs. They would have been terrified.
Is this what I am to expect from a groomer with cats? Or are there options where they would have a seperate area, and some sensetivity to the fact that the are not used to being surrounded by 15 strange dogs?

GRRRRRR!

It was a huge PIA to drag them out, I got a babysitter and all. I hate the idea of spending this much money, but I have had to confine them to the bathroom since tracking poop around my house is not soemthing I am up for.

--------------------
Eden 9/04

Eden 9/04

cmdunn1972
11-10-2006, 11:19 PM
We have 2 shorthair cats, so I'm not sure if the cash only and loose dogs thing is normal at a pet salon. However, it seems like the little inconveniences would have been easier to take if that woman hadn't treated you so rudely!

Good for you for walking out. Maybe they handle animals better than people, given the awful display of "customer service".

Sorry you went through all the trouble to find that out! Maybe a local cat rescue organization can recommend a groomer that is better with cats (and their owners)?

Edensmum
11-10-2006, 11:23 PM
That is my main issue, she was just so rude and seemed anoyed that I was concerned about their safety and care. I could not leave them with someone like that.

Eden 9/04

StantonHyde
11-11-2006, 12:54 AM
A friend of mine has the same long hair/poop issue plus she has an old cat who can't clean back there very well and he is cranky. She asked her vet and called around. Some people said they only shave them or they wouldn't take a cat that old because they couldn't sedate him. Then one groomer said she has groomed cats for 15 years and only had to sedate 6 of them. So my friend went first thing in the morning. The woman was amazing. Put the cat in a collar, then in a muzzle, talked to him calmly the whole time. She clipped his nails first so he wouldn't have so much ammunition--smart groomer :-) It was quick and relatively painless for all. It was $35 and my friend tipped very generously. I think the cat rescue call would be a good idea--you figure some of those cats are not well groomed or well socialized so somebody who can work with them would have to be good.

ellies mom
11-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Wow, I'd be pretty annoyed too. I'm not a cash person; I'd really want to know that up front.

My parents used to have a mobile groomer come out to do their dog. It is a little more expensive but compared to the pain of bringing the cats in and getting a babysitter it may be well worth it. I had a mobile vet for a while too. Definately worth it.

By the way, I've got a cat that gets those "issues" too. Not fun.

JennSimm
11-11-2006, 08:42 AM
I have never had a groomer take just cash. I have had dogs for MANY years, and they go the groomer every week. I always pay by check. I have switched groomers for other reasons though...

rfeibelm
11-11-2006, 04:49 PM
I definitely feel for you. I think most groomers are set up primarily for dogs. And the way she treated you is uncalled for. I too never carry cash and would have been unprepared. Besides, who carries $70 in cash with them?

My only suggestion to you would be to invest in 2 carriers for your cats - to give them privacy while being transported and to protect them in case they are scared and try to jump.

Good luck with your search!

dules
11-11-2006, 05:06 PM
We have a longhaired Siamese mix and we used to have him groomed when we lived in CA at a place that let us drop him in his carrier. I think they had separate days for dogs and cats, because I never saw a dog there, though I know they offered both.

These people were wonderful and kitty would come home super soft, happy and smelling like a rose.

We moved cross country and I took him to one place, where when I dropped him they took him out of his carrier at the desk and told me I could take it home. I should have taken him back right then. The poor thing came home wildly frightened and has not been able to tolerate a groomer's since then (we've tried a couple of others in town, all of whom had heard bad things about the place we went to first, but none of them were willing/able to groom him because he was so stressed and upset).

So this is my longwinded way of saying I know it s*cks but you did the right thing by your kitties. I hope you can find a groomer, maybe one who will come to your house? Or else perhaps your vet would do the shaving.

Good luck and I'm sorry the person treated you so poorly. There's no excuse for her behavior and I hope you tell your vet so s/he will think before recommending her to cat parents in the future.

Mary

Radosti
11-11-2006, 11:52 PM
If I were you, I'd buy an Oster and have DH scruff the kitties while you shaved their hineys. But then, I've groomed every foster dog that came through my rescue's doors. I stay calm and the animals stay calm. An Oster treatment followed by a bath at home is just what your kitties need :)

cmdunn1972
11-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Yeah, it was probably a good thing, then, that you walked out!

I'd mention your bad experience with this groomer to the vet who referred you.