PDA

View Full Version : Foul! Neighbor has Santa on his rooftop already!

rlu
11-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Yes, I know we could give out candy canes for Halloween but people, just because the stores have the stuff for sale (and I admit I bought some outside decorations already) doesn't mean it's time to put it out! Now, I realize some people need to celebrate early (thinking of a post elsewhere on where family member is deploying) but I do not want DS hyped up this early by seeing Santa everyday on our walk.

fortato
11-13-2006, 10:11 PM
The creepy guy across the street put up his tree yesterday!! I still have my Jack O' Lantern's rotting on my front steps.

I'm not a fan of November.

Kristen

lilycat88
11-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Yup...new creepy neighbors two houses down are totally decked out since the weekend. Tree...lights... Bah, Humbug.

bcky2
11-13-2006, 10:20 PM
i can see some people wanting to get lights up befor the big freeze but come on, get the santa down untill after thanksgiving. our neighbor across the street has up her lights and they are on already! i told my dh to go over there and tell them to turn them off, it looks like noon over there and it is 10pm!

Melanie
11-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Ds saw them in parking lots this week, too. He even arrived at a local mall already! Poor man, he used to get 364 days off a year! ;)

elliput
11-13-2006, 11:13 PM
DH commented on just this very topic on the drive home tonight. A house down the street has the whole "Winter Wonderland Candy Cane Lane" theme going on, but not turned on tonight.

Like a PP, we still have pumpkins on our front steps. Harvest season isn't over at my house.

jal
11-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Unfortunately, it's starting to get that you feel lucky if no-one has any Christmas decorations up before Halloween. We too have had a few houses decorated for about a week now.

fortato
11-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Last night, I pointed out my creepy neighbor's Tree and DH, I love this man, brought the Pumpkin Head man (12 foot high inflatable) and put him up. And then the neighbors across the street turned on their Ghost in a pumpkin!!!

It was fantastic!

Woo hoo--- Vive Le Resistance!!!
Happy Halloween.
Kristen

punkrockmama
11-14-2006, 10:34 AM
>Yes, I know we could give out candy canes for Halloween

LMAO. I know, I hate how holidays are pushed down our throats so freakin' early. It's ridiculous as life goes by fast enough. Especially once you have kids.

My mom used to put the tree up the day after Thanksgiving and I thought even that was too much.

I really hate seeing those big, giant, parade float type of decorations on people's front lawns too (sorry if you're a fan).

fortato
11-14-2006, 10:48 AM
LOL--- that's exactly what we put up yesterday!

Kristen

punkrockmama
11-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Oh, snap! I knew somebody was going to say that,hahaha. I'm so glad you're laughing. :) I don't know what it is, but something about those things just drive me crazy,lol. My husband thinks they're cute. :)

crl
11-14-2006, 12:55 PM
No Christmas decorations until the day after Thanksgiving! And they MUST come down by New Year's Day.

(Okay, so I am planning to put our Christmas tree up on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving this year. Because we're going out of town on Thursday and not coming back until Sunday. And because DS doesn't have school on Wednesday and I thought he'd have fun "helping' me.)

Catherine

SammyeGail
11-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Opps, I almost put my garland on my porch (one of those 'rocking chair' front porch) this weekend, lol! We had friends over, it was a great opportunity since we have 12M old twins. I would not have lit the lights up thought, I'd wait until after Thanksgiving. I just wanted to jump at the chance to get some type if outside decorating done, who knows if we'll have the chance again!! It was too chilly outside to take the twins on the porch so we didn't do it. OK, we did feel alittle silly about doing it so early.

If I had one of those big blow up pumpkins, I'd keep it out until mid Nov., people leave their yards lit up till the end of January.

I live in the South, we have to deal with the people who never take their lights down, they just hang on the roof all year. I know people do that everywhere, I just think its worse here : ). I guess they plug them back up in Dec. Its so annoying, whats worse is the ones who get around to taking them down in July/August. Why bother?

Samantha

katiesmommy
11-14-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm sure you won't like my reply to this. I absolutly love the holiday season, it's my favorite time of the year. And honestly, I'd probably put up my decorations now if DH would let me. JMO.

seeks1
11-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Here is my issue with it...

Where are the Thanksgiving wreaths and decorations???? Did we forget about Thanksgiving folks???

My grocery store went from Halloween candy to sale Halloween Candy to CHristmas decorations!!! Where are the displays with the pumpkin, cranberries, stuffing, spices etc that you need for Thanksgiving? Are we skipping it this year and no one told me???

My grocery actually has Christmas cookies out. Are you going to eat them now are save them until Christmas?? Ick!

I love the holidays too but each one by themselves. Let me enjoy Halloween and then Thanksgiving. Come the Friday after Christmas, Deck the Halls! Before then, let me enjoy some fall foliage and Turkey!!!

katiesmommy
11-14-2006, 02:31 PM
You know, that's very true. I think I would probably have christmas decorations up all year though. I love the trees and lights.

seeks1
11-14-2006, 02:36 PM
They are pretty!

You know, you can have lights for the other holidays... I boutght Bats that had lights in them for Halloween and had them around my front door. Very cute!

almostamom
11-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Okay, I'll admit that DH put up our Christmas lights on the house last weekend. We have not turned them on and have no plans to turn them on until December, but we just don't have another free weekend when he could do it. He did NOT put out the reindeer or put the lights on the trees - he'll probably end up doing that some nights afer work in a few weeks.

Linda

maestramommy
11-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Yes, it's really too bad, as Thanksgiving IS a major holiday. Unfortunately it probably doesn't have as big a marketing niche besides food, so.....

I knew when I started seeing Christmas stuff in the stores right after Halloween that we had entered a new era of conspicuous consumption. That was at least a decade ago, so nothing suprises me anymore.

blueeyedb
11-14-2006, 03:52 PM
DH put up our Christmas lights up yesterday, but we won't turn them on until after Thanksgiving.
I love Thanksgiving, to me it's what Christmas should be...a time to spend with the people you love without the rampant spending and stress. Too bad it is being pushed aside in the rush to suck every last dollar out of consumers.

katiesmommy
11-14-2006, 04:16 PM
LOL!

dawell0
11-14-2006, 05:04 PM
I guess everyone has a crazy neighbor. Here's the problem: Our superstores had the Christmas stuff for sale already when they took down the back-to-school stuff alongside the Halloween. Now that the Halloween is gone, they just added more. Nice, eh?

fortato
11-14-2006, 05:52 PM
I thought they were OBNOXIOUS...but they've become part of our Holiday tackiness. We have a giant Snowman that's over 12 feet tall... We thought of putting the both of them up and letting them duke it out.

I thought your post was fantastic... the fact that you hate them makes it soo funny to me...

Have a great night!
Kristen

alexsmommy
11-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Two things - there is a radio station around here that does a "The Angry Pilgrim" bit - the guy dresses up as a pilgrim and goes to peoples houses and berates them for their Christmas decorations and forgetting "his" holiday. Totally cracks me up. Second - Santa was at our mall this past Saturday. He's on the level below Stride Rite and DS could hear the train and wanted to go down there. Ugh. It's crazy. I have no issue with anything anyone wants to do the day after Thanksgiving, but I feel like DS thinks Christmas is around the corner because he is always seeing/hearing things relating to it. Why are we rushing things so much nowdays? I went to find some Thanksgiving decorations and could find nothing - so frustrating.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

rlu
11-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Ok, I get the weather thing (I'm on the western side of CA, not an issue here) and taking advantage of help when it's available.

I have been singing Away in a Manager to DS as a lullaby since his birth and I like the decorations and happy feelings they engender too.

Neighbor has not turned on the lights yet and DS thinks Santa on the roof is Noah so not as bad as I feared.

I just threw out rotten pumpkin today while DS was not looking but still have uncarved pumpkins on our front porch and scarecrows up at work still. At work the entire floor has decorated for Thanksgiving (we do all holiday and make up others for the summer months).

For PP, DH's family sold their house 6 years ago, we drive by often, new owners still have up the twinkle lights my MIL put up for her last holiday there. They are all white though, and strung about the trees, not just along the roofline.

fortato
11-14-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm with you- I love the decorating idea, I adore Christmas and Hanukkah. I listen to Christmas music now(when I'm alone...with the baby), but I think it's just too early to do all the other stuff.

I was stunned at Wal-Mart the second week of October when they ran their first Holiday ad. Like they were going to run out of toys before Christmas.

Anyway- My tree and all the trimmings go up NEXT WEEK. (That kind of snuck up on me.) (And they stay up until we stop turning on the tree...which is usually around Jan. 15th.)

Oh Well...
Happy Thanksgiving!

Kristen

PS----what about you Canadians???? Since you already had your Thanksgiving...when does the Christmas Freak Out at the stores start??

MissyAg94
11-16-2006, 12:31 PM
This is so funny. We are the one's celebrating Christmas early b/c my DH won't be here for the real deal. I won't put a wreath on the door until December. But a guy came today to service our heater and commented that "wasn't it a little early for a Xmas tree." I explained our sitution but it made me think of this thread. I thought he was rather bold for commenting out loud but it did make me laugh.

Oh yeah, someone down the street has a GIANT blow-up turkey in their yard. Which made me laugh out loud since I had just read people talking about those things on this thread. At least it's not Santa.

ribbit1019
11-17-2006, 01:52 AM
My DH put them up in the front window. His excuse was that he needed to seal the window and wanted to get them up before he covered it in plastic. Well he brought the advent calendar up too and put chocolate in it already, um....we have a 2 yr old...hello!

Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

Fairy
11-20-2006, 09:58 AM
What are ya'll complaining about, this is positively late in the season compared to July when the EnormoMall brings out all it's xmas trees. Ok, all kidding aside, I must tell you, one of the radio stations in Chicago (The Mix, 101.9) have a morning show segment called "Swannee the Angry Pilgrim." You email them with a neighbor who's violated the timing standards of holiday decor so egregiously that you will do anything to stick it to 'em. Swannee the Angry Pilgrim will then choose the best one, show up, steal all their -- and I mean ALL THEIR -- lawn decorations and not return them until the day after Thanksgiving.

I'm all about this one. I'm talking to you, people on the corner who transform your house into Santa wonderland the day after Halloween! I'm telling you, Swannee is coming for you.