PDA

View Full Version : MIL vent, not really mad, just very hurt.....long

SammyeGail
11-13-2006, 03:36 PM
My MIL is here visiting this week. Our twins first B'day is on the 20th but we had the party this past Saturday because she was here. The second day she was here, she mentioned she didn't get the boys anything because she didn't know what to get. OK, whatever, I'm busy taking care of twins, I can't drag her all over the place to pick stuff out. She's got a rental car, she can drive herself to Wal-Mart or where ever and just get some toys that say 12M+. Later that day she went to the grocery store to get some bananas because we didn't have any. No-where else. DH took Friday off to help get things ready for the party, clean the house really well, etc. She mentions again she didn't buy them anything because she didn't know what to get. So we end up having to go to ToysRUs 35 minutes away. DH and I picked out lots of things, things we were going to get too since my mail-ordered stuff wasn't going to get here in time. We would have never expected her to get it all, not in any sense. We get up to the check out and she looks thru the cart. She picked out 2 things to purchase, they were 14.99 each. That was their B'day present from thier Grandmother, $30 plus tax. She is not short on money, honestly she is loaded financially. DH and I paid the $170 if the rest of the stuff.

It just hurts. Its not all about the amount she spent, it was that she was so cheap about what to get. These are her grandchildren!! She got here last Wed. and has hardly shown any interest in the boys. She goes thru her little daily routine and in her free time sits in the recliner reading. She showed interest in them at the party, but I think it was because other people were around. BUT, of everyone there, she did show the least amount. Mostly she chit-chatted with people there, I guess strangers lives are more interesting to her.

I eventually got over all that by the end of Saturday night. She's always been like this, very unemotional. Some friends of ours stayed overnight at a hotel Sat, he and DH went hiking Sunday and she and I stayed home playing with the boys and their new toys. My MIL did nothing. She just sat in that chair reading her book. I just ignored her, if she has no interest in the boys, thats her loss.

So this is how today goes. Noah woke up at 7:30. We watch Baby Einstein while I give him breakfast. He gets restless when we don't and its harder to get him to eat. Jonas woke up mid way thru Noah's eating, I got him in the highchair and was feeding them both. She comes in the den and mentions the TV woke her up. SO FREAKING WHAT? (ok, evidently I was not 'over' it all, lol!) I didn't reply, what was there to say? This is my day, this is my house, they are my children. She says good morning to the boys (seriously, the only she said was 'good morning', from about 5 feet away) and goes off to fix her breakfast. She mentions we are low on milk, she may not have enough for her cereal. I again didn't reply, wasn't really anything to say. I think she wanted me to go to the store and get her some. I wouldn't dare leave the boys with her. I eventually told her some cereal bars are in the cabinet after she just stood there a few minutes. I take the boys in their room and we all play for a while (just me and them). I had been picking up dirty laundry all morning here and there and dropping it in the washer waiting to get a full load. She comes in their room to ask me to take the stuff out so she could wash some of her things. ARG!! I told her she would have to wait, but that I'll start the washer now. She goes away, I guess to read some more. As soon as the washer finishes, I'm giving the boys their bottles, getting them ready for their nap and she asked me to put the things in the dryer so she could use the washer. I just went and did it because I knew she would keep asking me every 5 minutes, I just wanted her to shut-up. The clothes are in the dryer while the boys are asleep, I hid in my bedroom until they woke up. Her stuff in the washer finished, she comes knocking on the door wanting the stuff out of the dryer. I said "Ummm, they're not dry yet..." she says ok and leaves. The boys wake up and we have lunch. I'm feeding them and she comes and asks me what was for lunch. I told her I was giving the boys Macncheese, veggies, etc. She says she meant her lunch. I told her 'Well, I don't know, whatever is around'. She sits at the kitchen table for 1/2 an hour, I guess waiting on me to fix her some lunch. I throw myself together a sandwich and we go back to their room to play (of course, just me and the boys). She can fix her own damn lunch. I am not here to wait on her hand and foot. So far today the only think she has done pertaining to the boys is say 'good morning'. NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER!!! Why is she even here!?! She is just reading than damn book, literally right this minute.

ok, sorry its so long, its just hurtful. Last Nov. when the boys were born she sent us a Wal-Mart gift card for $50. At Christmas we got one outfit each, purchased at Wal-Mart, seams came undone after being washed once. I just threw them away.

I am just hurt and want her to leave. She can go read her book at her own freaking house. I have 2 more days of this, I wonder how long it will be before DH and I blow up at her. He feels the same way I do, he didn't even want her to come, so at least its not all me.

Just had to get this out.....

Samantha
Mommy to Noah and Jonas
one year on 11/20/06!!

bubbaray
11-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Wow, that just SUCKS. I think you handled it extremely well in the circumstances. By about the milk episode today, I would have let her have it. It would have been ugly.

My ILs also expect to be waited on hand and foot. FIL literally holds his coffee cup up in the air at the breakfast table, expecting some of the "women folk" to sprint out of their seats to get him coffee. @#$#$%^ Even if I had to pee like a race horse at that particular moment, you can bet your butt that I would NOT move. FIL is loaded and didn't even buy DD a birthday card for her 1st b-day. Whatever.

Hugs to you. Congrats on being so diplomatic in brutal circumstances. Next time she wants to visit, I'm pretty sure you are busy....

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

chlobo
11-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Kudos for your patience. My dad is very old school and he'll be sitting at the table and say things like "gee, I need a fork." Seems he can't even muster the energy to actually ASK for the freakin fork. So I feel your pain.

Maybe next time she asks for something you can just politely say "Please feel free to fix whatever you'd like from the kitchen. I probably won't make it to the store before you leave."

Or something that gets the point across.

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better my mother cried at my daughter's 3rd birthday party b/c she felt I wasn't polite & thankful enough to her about buying decorations.

SammyeGail
11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
My MIL DIDN'T cry when my FIL died. Ever. They were married over 40 years. She was like "oh, well, Jerry's dead"...

Melanie
11-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Oh geez. FWIW, I think you are handling things really well. I totally understand the "so why did you come all the way to visit if you're not going to VISIT" question, as I have that with some family, too.

I hope she leaves SOON, while you can still continue to be the bigger person. I don't know that my fuse is as long as yours!

niccig
11-13-2006, 07:48 PM
I know what that feels like. I've had a simlar experience. I got annoyed too when the entire reason for the stay was to help me out as DH was away. I actually ended up with more work.

I think part of it was being on vacation from work so they felt they were on holiday, and not wanting to step on my toes and do things or help around the house. My family members are very proactive to the point of doing too much. What has helped is asking for help with things, eg can you hold Noah while I do this with Jonas, putting out breakfast and lunch things and saying help yourself to food, leaving during nap time to run errands (hey, you're reading a book anyway), and as DS has gotten older (nearly 2) they interact much more.

I hope the next few days are better.
Nicci

SammyeGail
11-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Dh and I know her flight out wasn't until Wed, but suddenly yesterday afternoon it was Tue AM, not Wed. DH and I actually had to hide the excitement in out voices when we told her we both it was Wed AM. We had a good laugh over it later. We were really nice to her last night and she did watch the boys play that evening.

I am still debating on sending her a letter with a 'refund' check for the 2 toys she bought. I want to tell her that if thats all she felt in her heart to get her grandchildren, I'd rather she not have gotten them anything at all. I feel sort of mean if I do that, but I also may feel better.

DH says she is always a day late and a dollar short, you know the old saying.....I think she's about 46 years too late and about $150,000 short. DH's older sister is horrible mentally ill (she 46). MIL totally supports her financially out of guilt. SIL constantly reminds her mother its her fault for why she is unstable. MIL is the most unnuturing person I have ever known. I think the only reason DH turned out ok is because of his older sister.

He told her Sun night she was really cheap. She said she wasn't. Dh told her she spent $15 on each twin, she's cheap. She said 'well, I guess I am.'

I think I will send the letter and check....

Samantha

octmom
11-14-2006, 11:37 AM
She sounds like a piece of work. Sorry you had to deal with her. It really is her loss if she doesn't appreciate her grandchildren. I can relate a bit since my MIL lives 90 miles away and *never* comes to see my kids. She also turns on the charm and dials up her interest when others are watching.

You might want to sit on the letter/ check idea for a few days and see if you still feel like sending it in a week or so. I can see how it might make you feel better in the moment, but it will probably only cause hard feelings that will make things even more uncomfortable in the future.

At least she doesn't live nearby and snub your family on a more regular basis! ;)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

veronica
11-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Cost of returning one gift...$15
Cost of returning two gifts...$30

feeling of MIL leaving one day early.....priceless

I'd hold back from the letter and return, spend the entire day with DH and twins tomorrow enjoying the day!

KentuckyRK
11-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Jeez, she really does sound like a complete piece of work, and I'm glad for you and your family that she's out of your hair.

However, about that letter...
who's the bigger/better person here?

That's all I think that needs to be said.

SammyeGail
11-14-2006, 01:47 PM
I completely understand where you are coming from about sending the letter. What so bad is that it wouldn't even hurt her feelings. At most it may make her feel alittle ashamed. She's just so detached emotionally from, well, I guess the world.

It will probably be best for me emotionally just to let it all go. I'll get all worked up if I go thru with it, she (or better put, her ways) is just not worth it.

Thanks for the perspective : ). you all are great.

Samantha

KentuckyRK
11-14-2006, 02:11 PM
>I completely understand where you are coming from about
>sending the letter. What so bad is that it wouldn't even hurt
>her feelings. At most it may make her feel alittle ashamed.
>She's just so detached emotionally from, well, I guess the
>world.
>

Exactly, and from the voice of experience, it's totally NOT worth feeling like the smaller person in the end when you aren't the one with the problem. I did something similar with a friend years ago and in the end it only made me feel a million times worse and didn't change a thing. From then on I promised myself to go along with the whole "not stooping to the same level" thing anytime I found myself in a sticky situation.

Hope you're enjoying your time with JUST your kids and DH without your MIL there to worry about.

kozachka
11-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Your MIL is unbelivable :eyeroll. Anyway, it's her loss. Please consider it her gift for leaving a day early (doesn't it cost at least $100 to change flights with most airlines these days?). And if I were you I'd write MIL a letter and than not mail it. At least you have DH on your side.