PDA

View Full Version : I refuse xrays - dentist refuses to clean!!!

dms619
11-15-2006, 11:52 AM
So, I went to the dentist for a regular cleaning. The nurse says I need xrays. I tell her I don't want them. The dentist come in and tells me I really should get them. I tell her, I'm 41 yrs old and have never had a cavity or any dental problems in my life and for "medical reasons" I don't want xrays. Now, the office manager comes in and insists. I tell her I'm a fertility patient and I'm TTC and could be pregnant. She says she's sorry but w/o the xrays, they can't do the cleaning. WTF!!!! Now, I'm really PI$$ED! I waited over an hour (they were backed-up) and waited like 4 months to get this evening appointment. I complain loudly and she says the "partners" all went home for the night already and this is office policy. I tell her to call one of the partners. She calls one of the partners and tells her I haven't had xrays since 2004. Well, duh, on my last visit in May of 2005, I was 8 1/2 months prego with DD. So, obviously I refused the xrays. I explain all this to the partner, tell her my situation (I am very annoyed that I had to share this very personal information with her to begin with) and she still insists that the insurance companies require them. You would think that a doctor (esp. a woman) would understand why I wouldn't want to take a risk like that! She then says I need to get a letter from the infertility doctor stating that I can't get radiograms! IS THIS THE MOST INSANE THING YOU HAVE EVER HEARD or is it just me?

Debbie (who got her period this morning & now is even more PI$$ED!!!)

wencit
11-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Unbelievable! And it's only been a couple of years since you've had x-rays taken, not a couple of decades.

Sounds to me like it's time to find a new dentist.

lovin2shop
11-15-2006, 12:02 PM
That's absolutely ridiculous! With TTC for so long, I haven't had dental x-rays in years. My dentist is perfectly fine with it and has always said better safe than sorry. The insurance line is absolutely a lie, and I would change dentists just for that reason.

ETA - sorry about AF's arrival.

crl
11-15-2006, 12:24 PM
That's awful. Not only would I change dentists, I would file a complaint. I think there must be some sort of state licensing agency for dentists and I would absolutely file a complaint with them. What if you had been pregnant and had gone along with their insistence that you have x-rays done!

So sorry this happened to you,

kedss
11-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi Debbie-

Time for a new dentist!

big hugs

buddyleebaby
11-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Sorry about AF. Hugs just for that.

As for the Dentist, I agree with pps that it is time to switch.

Sillygirl
11-15-2006, 12:52 PM
I would have said I'd let them take the X-rays if they would sign a waiver accepting full responsibility for any birth defects and assume all the care expenses the child would incur until adulthood.

Sheesh. Sounds like you got into a p*ssing contest with the nurse and after a little while she just wasn't going to let it go. Change practices and send them a letter stating why. If you have dental insurance, you might also send a cc: to the insurance company.

dms619
11-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks everybody.....I feel much better :)!

Debbie

Momof3Labs
11-15-2006, 01:51 PM
My dad is a dentist, and I've worked for him in the past (including doing some of the insurance work). I've also been a fertility patient before, so I can completely relate.

I totally agree that you need a new dentist. First of all, there is NO excuse for them being an hour backed up on cleanings (the dentist could be backed up if he had to fit in an emergency patient during the day, but that shouldn't affect hygiene appointments). Second of all, if there is any chance that you may be pregnant, they should NOT take x-rays. I went a couple of years between x-rays because we were going through IF treatment, then I was pregnant. I just had them done after DS2 was born.

Finally, the line about your insurance requiring x-rays is complete bunk.

This practice has no respect for your time or for you as an individual. Find someone new!

amp
11-15-2006, 05:05 PM
I tried to make an appt with a dentist in a new town and was refused an appt if I didn't want full mouth xrays. I was so mad!

JBaxter
11-15-2006, 05:15 PM
I was a hygienist for 16yrs and ANYTIME a woman told me she "may" be pregnant/or was in a gray area I simply made a note in the chart... Pt declined xrays due to possible pregnancy. Next time use that line :) Im late but havent tested I could be pregnant Im not having any problems and would like to wait one the xrays.

Most of the practices I worked for did do a full series of xrays for new patients.

mommyto4
11-15-2006, 06:20 PM
That's crazy. They can do a regular cleaning and an oral exam without x-rays. I have it done this way all the time. I've tried having the x-rays done but, I have a terrible gag reflex and just cannot do it. My dentist just does a thorough exam and sens me for a cleaning. I good dentist can spot a cavity without x-rays.

DrSally
11-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Wow, that's crazy. When I was trying to get pregnant, I refused Xrays at my cleaning and explained the reason (it was during that week where you don't know). The hygenist tried to talk me into them saying they were ok, but I had to refuse several times. She wasn't mean or super pushy, but was putting on pressure. I got out of it by saying that I'd get them when I came back in a few weeks to get a cavity filled if I wasn't pregnant then. I wasn't and I did get the filling and xrays then. I wonder if part of the reason they push them so much is the $$$$ they make. A previous dentist gave me xrays that were before the insurance co allowed them again and I got stuck with the charges!

dms619
11-19-2006, 02:00 AM
That's what I was thinking also. I think the xrays are like $150 less whatever the insurance pays.

What I didn't state in my original post is that one of the partners is a guy I used to babysit when I was in high school. He and his brother and sister are a couple of years younger than me and were friends with my younger brother. My parents and his parents are still in touch and have dinner once in awhile. I mentioned this to the nurse manager and they still didn't care.

I will contact him and explain what happened, but my DH had surgery the other day and I've been a little busy.

Thanks for all you support. It is truly appreciated.

Debbie

Melanie
11-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Wow. New dentist time, and I guess make sure to ask over the phone in advance if they will require x-rays for a cleaning.

ETA. Even more sorry about AF.

Fairy
11-20-2006, 09:53 AM
I was thinking the same thing, as well. However, I will say that I've been with my dentist since I was a teenager, and never once in my whole life have they pushed something on me that I didn't want. When i was "possibly pregnant," they had no issue at all skipping the xrays. Now, if you're a new patient, I can't think of a dentist who would agree to skip the whole mouth xray cuz, realistically, they truly have to see what can't be externally seen. But there are exceptions to everything, this wasn't a "new patient" experience for you, and even the truly stupid among us in this life know that pregnancy and xrays don't mix! In fact, I'd say that office is truly asking for it if they knowingly take an xray of a possibly pregnant person from a liability standpoint alone.

Get. Out.