PDA

View Full Version : So I'm the only one who can't always control a preschooler??

Ceepa
11-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Went to a free concert tonight. So DS wanted to dance to the music. Fine. So he wanted to get closer to the singer. Fine. So he kept inching through the crowd of preschoolers (parents were in the back) and ended up standing right next to the singer (so close that he was under the guitar!) I tried to get him to move/sit down/come to me, but he was in that happy place he goes to, where his listening ears don't work.

I was obviously making a great effort to have DS move over or sit down in case he was interfering with the music, which he didn't seem to be, or else blocking someone's view, which he didn't seem to be since he was basically "on stage."

So why was I getting the royal stink eye from some parents? I was trying to control a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old who loves music (and, apparently the limelight).

Give me a break, people!!

-Ceepa

oliviasmomma
11-17-2006, 06:26 PM
What was up with 'em? Maybe jealously--they wanted their scooter up there too? Pooh on them for not being able to crack a smile--it would have made me laugh to see your guy up there, and so happy!

boogiemom
11-17-2006, 07:56 PM
You are certainly in the right place to complain but just to offer another point of view..........

I imagine that there were a lot of parents who were also trying to control their young children. I've seen few young kids who don't love music. Personally, I find it frustrating when I am telling my children that they may not do something only to have someone else allow their children to do that very thing, especially when it's something fairly obvious like this. Really, wouldn't all of the kids have liked to be up there? It just makes it even more of a struggle for all the other parents, honestly.

cmdunn1972
11-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Ceepa, my little guy loves music too! So much so that I could see him doing the exact same thing.

Believe me, neither you nor your little guy would be getting the evil eye from me. I'd be too busy watching DS dance right alongside yours (and thinking how cute they are)! :)

Forget those parents with their stiff upper lips. They need to learn to relax and just let the kids enjoy themselves! If the band doesn't mind, then the parents shouldn't care either.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-18-2006, 01:30 AM
My mil takes dd to the free big band concerts in the park in the summer every week. By the end of last summer she was taking pictures with the singers and the drummer was letting her hold his sticks. She kind of became the band mascot. Even when they ran really late,she always stayed awake. She routinely goes up to the bandstand and stands at the bottom of the steps and gets her groove on.

A great big tthhbbtt raspberry to the people who can't lighten up. Please-it's not like they paid for their seats. If that had been the case then maybe i could see someone getting grumpy. The only person who might have had room to grump was the performer, and if they were ok then it's all good.
Sheeesshh!!! I totally agree with ceepa, kids need to be allowed to experience the performing arts up close anyway.

JEn

Ceepa
11-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Overall, DS had a nice time and so did the other kids in the audience, so that's enough, right?

Tani, thanks for the other point of view. Believe me, I am very conscious of others' right to space and/or enjoyment. I guess my point was that I was obviously trying (short of strolling out and dragging DS away in the middle of a song) to keep him from being a pest. I wasn't just standing there slackjawed.

So, I can see how other parents may have been a bit miffed, but please don't actually glare at me!! LOL ;)

-Ceepa