PDA

View Full Version : Want to slap the jerk in front of us on the plane (long)

cmdunn1972
11-24-2006, 06:14 AM
It's a traveling parent's worst nightmare. What I'd been dreading for weeks actually happened.

We had been planning on flying from Newark to Denver for months. DH, my ILs, DS, and I all left on the Wed before Thanksgiving to visit my SIL in Colorado for the weekend. We bought a seat for DS and brought along the Britax MA. The MA is huge, though it fits if you raise the armrest. It just sits really high.

We tried RF first since that's the easiest way to install it. Plus, we wouldn't have to worry about him kicking the seat in front of him. The problem was, DS complained because there was not enough room for his feet. Plus, the guy in front of DS wouldn't be able to recline his seat at all. So, we turned it around. DS stopped fussing.

FFing, DS had a little more room for his feet and the passenger in front of him could recline a little more. However, even if he moved his legs just a little bit, DS could "kick" the seat in front of him. Not ideal, but no worries. He wasn't being malicious and I've learned to pick my battles.

My first clue that the passenger in front of us was a jerk was him moving from the window seat directly in front of DS to the empty seat right in front of me. (I was slightly relieved thinking that I wouldn't have to worry about DS annoying him. Problem over, right? Wrong!) While we waited for the delayed takeoff, DS started getting restless, so I played peek-a-boo with him using a little puppet white mouse that MIL gave him for the flight. DS got a little exicted over the game and swung his legs a bit, but at least he was happy. Besides, no one was in the seat in front of him anymore.

Apparently, that wasn't good enough for jerk guy. He had the gall to whip his head around and tell DH that we were bad parents because we allowed DS to kick the seat in front of him! WTH?!? DH, furious, asked the guy if he had children. He said, "No." DH said, "If you ever had kids, you'd understand."

I wanted to continually kick his seat myself for the rest of the 4.5 hour flight, but I didn't have the nerve. Jerk guy might have slugged me once we got to Denver.

DH and I did spend some of the flight talking loudly amongst ourselves about how the guy was a loser who didn't have kids because he couldn't find a woman to marry him. }(

Jerk guy hustled off the plane as soon as the flight was over, so there was no confrontation in Denver.

Thanks for letting me vent! DH and I are still appalled that this single, childless guy had the nerve to try to tell us how to parent our 19 month old in this situation. (!!)

bcky2
11-24-2006, 08:19 AM
didnt you know that childless single men are the best resource for child rearing information? espically thoes that dont like children and tend to have jerk like qualities :P

im sorry you had such a bad flight. some people just dont get it. he wasnt even sitting in that seat!

Wife_and_mommy
11-24-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm sorry you had to endure the flight with jerko. Hopefully the flight back(?) was uneventful.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

hez
11-24-2006, 08:47 AM
He clearly didn't get it. He clearly won't get it until he's a parent. Lots of 'em won't (you know, the folks without kids) , but at least most of 'em keep their mouths shut!

cmdunn1972
11-24-2006, 08:52 AM
LOL There's a reason we only seek parenting advice from other parents.

DS is only 19 months old, and he was behaving like an angel compared to this guy. What's that guy's excuse for being rude?

cmdunn1972
11-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks, Elizabeth.

We fly back on Sunday. I'm hoping it goes well!

cmdunn1972
11-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks, Heather. With any luck, this guy won't breed. :P

bcky2
11-24-2006, 08:57 AM
hmmmm......with that attitude my guess would be lack of female companionship ;)

ellies mom
11-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Or he'll marry my childless 39 yo SIL who is also a fount of childrearing knowledge. But then revenge would be sweet.

JBaxter
11-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Sorry about your flight but we had a slightly similar situation on a flight when Nathan was about 20months old. It was the last time we used a carseat inflight. I did say I was sorry but what can you do?

Melanie
11-24-2006, 04:24 PM
LOL. Until you got to the childess part I was going to ask if my Dad sat in front of you. He's one of those "children should be seen and not heard (even if it's HAPPY sounds)" people.

Sorry your flight was stressful. I'm glad, though, that your son did well.

cmdunn1972
11-24-2006, 06:50 PM
I guess there isn't much you can do, but the Bitching Post seems to help! ;) That solution is a lot less apt to escalate the issue than sending DS after the jerk with FIL's cane!

cmdunn1972
11-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Yeah, Melanie, DS was pretty good considering! It blows my mind that he complained about DS kicking the empty seat next to him. There was simply nowhere for DS's feet to go since the carseat had him up so high. I'm talking literally 2 or 3 inches.

cmdunn1972
11-24-2006, 06:55 PM
LOL That's the nice way of saying "he hasn't had any for a while"! }(

cmdunn1972
11-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Yep, I agree! That guy is asking for bad karma with that attitude. I'm not sure you'd want such a loser in your family though, even if it's to avenge your SIL. ;)

Saartje
11-24-2006, 08:41 PM
I believe I would have innocently let the flight attendant know that the man in front of me might be happier if he could be moved to a different part of the plane.

Whatta maroon.

Fairy
11-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Booger!

cmdunn1972
11-25-2006, 08:22 AM
We would have, but we were delayed sitting on the tarmac. Since the seatbelt lights were on, we couldn't just get up and discuss anything with the flight attendants. We didn't think about using the call button... Hindsight is 20/20!

cmdunn1972
11-25-2006, 08:23 AM
You know, there's something to be said for succinct replies that get right to the point! :P

DrSally
11-25-2006, 10:18 AM
How Rude!! We were on a flight and Ds did REally well. He was "talking" and laughing with a little whining, but nothing compared to the first flight we took with the screaming. Well, we waited to deplane last so we wouldn't hold people up and this guy (prob single) walked by an dsaid "you know if you put cotton in their ears it will help with the pressure" and tried to shake DS's hand (which I didn't want him to do). DH took that to mean that the guy was commenting on DS's behavior and was Po'd. It wasn't that obnoxious of a comment, but seriously, DS was great on that flight. Besides, how in the heck is cotton in the ears supposed to help with anything--duh! Anyway, I know how one comment can sit with you for hours.

cmdunn1972
11-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Or even days. Don't you just love it how some childless single people think they're experts in the field of child care?