PDA

View Full Version : My SIL is INSANE!!

oliviasmomma
11-24-2006, 01:19 PM
I have been on the bitching post for too long, but DH is tired of hearing about this, so...

My SIL has had a longstanding issue with me--as the eldest girl and the only one in the state, she acts like every family gathering is a competition of sorts. She is in her mid=40's, never married, no kids, and yet she's always talked about wanting both. She is a "serial relationship" type person, and always ends the relationships for bizarre reasons. (Ex--she went out with someone for three years. In that time, he took out a wall in her house, installed wood flooring, rebricked her fireplace, built a deck, installed a hot tub, etc. She broke up with him because he wouldn't buy her flowers.) DH is her baby brother (6 kids), we're married with a tot, so of course, there is already tension. In addition, anytime I bring food to family gatherings, she either refuses to serve it (yes, really, she acts like she forgot about it-every time) or makes snide comments. Things like, "Oh, that's just like Diane," when I dared to bring macaroni salad. Another time we invited her and BIL over for dinner. She left a message that said, "Smiths (not our real name) should plan Smith parties,"--in other words, I am not really a member of the family. After the many episodes this last year, I decided that I will no longer cook for DH family functions--DH can either make something or we'll chip in $$, but no more cooking for me--it isn't worth it and if it is that big of a deal to SIL, then I really don't have to.

Saturday is supposed to be the "Smith" thanksgiving and two weeks ago SIL emailed and asked what we want to bring. I talked to DH who said he would make green bean casserole and I emailed this to SIL. On three separate occasions, she's emailed again to ask what we're bringing--she "forgot" every time--once, our neice responded even. Then, Wednesday night she called and asked AGAIN--and went on to say that well, she'd already bought everything for green beans and we need to bring something else. WTFWTFWTFWTF????

The reason we picked green beans is because it is about the least threatening dish--open five cans, dump and stir. I get that she feels inadequate, I get that she feels threatened, but you know...I get it, I am not welcome, fine. DH is such a non-arguer that he doesn't say anything, and really thinks I should just let it go. I really don't care about the food, I just don't understand people who go out of their way to be as mean as possible. If our neice wasn't going, I wouldn't be there, but I want to see her and her daughter. Other than that, I really don't care if the entire Smith family is rounded up and shipped off to sea.

ETA:When DH and I got serious, I was so excited because he has three sisters--only one in state though. My sister died when we were kids, and I've always wanted a big family. SIL has no idea what it is like to be alone, instead she treats everyone like carp and acts like people are just awful to her.

elliput
11-24-2006, 01:52 PM
I hope your SIL doesn't wonder why she is single with no kids. And, I think it is pretty obvious why your other SIL's live out of state. YIKES!

Big Hugs to you for dealing with this mess.

sidmand
11-24-2006, 02:13 PM
I'd just bring the green bean casserole anyway and tell her that you forgot she said she'd be making one...okay, I probably wouldn't, but that's what I would like to do! Or just go buy something.

I'm sorry that she's like that. I don't understand people like that either. I'm getting better (sometimes) with just ignoring the parts of their comments I don't want to hear or that are not appropriate. Don't know if that will work with her. Can you just talk to your niece and daughter and kind of "forget" to talk to anyone else?

Hope it goes better than you think it will! Although, I always figure if I think it will be horrible, it can only be better, right?

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

buddyleebaby
11-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Are you sure your SIL doesn't have kids?
Because I think your SIL may be my MIL.

Hugs to you. I hope you had a happy thansgiving anyway.

re: the green beans. I would have said "oh, well you know it's a favorite so it won't hurt to have more." ; )

psophia17
11-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Yuck - the only thing I can say is she's made her bed, right?

What a PITA...both your SIL and having to deal with her behavior.

wencit
11-24-2006, 07:30 PM
You have everything she wants, and she's just being mean, nasty, and petty because she's jealous. There is really no excuse for that kind of behavior.

You should be thankful that you're not her! :)

Saartje
11-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Sounds like you'd benefit from the trick my aunt used when her teenage stepdaughter was treating her badly, refusing to acknowledge her, etc.

My aunt just pretended her stepdaughter was a mental patient who was living with them so she could learn how to behave in a family. So whenever her stepdaughter would do something like the things your SIL does (seriously, it sounds the same, except that you expect this from a teenager, not a 40-year-old!), my aunt would think, "Oh, well, you just have to expect that kind of behavior from a mental patient."

(Just a note — I hope no one reads that as a slam on people with mental illnesses. It's just a coping mechanism that helped my aunt keep a sense of humor.)

bubbaray
11-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Either forget to bring food altogether (and smile when you reply to her freak-out that she has always forgotten to serve your food in the past anyway) OR forget that she told you not to bring the green bean casserole and bring one anyway.

Personally, I'd be trying to wind her up, just to see the fireworks. Then again, I don't like my SIL and never speak with her.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

buddyleebaby
11-25-2006, 01:43 AM
Personally, I'd be trying to wind her up, just to see the fireworks

LOL!

DrSally
11-25-2006, 10:23 AM
"Oh, well we did say were were bringing green bean caserole Three times, and since that's what we bought the ingredients for, we can make that or just bring ourselves!" Then attach all the messages you sent to her saying you'd bring the green beans.

Seriously, it must be very disappointing to not have the closeness you were hoping for with Dh's family. Sorry to hear about your sister :(

oliviasmomma
11-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Well, the saga continues, in a way. The party is today and DH and I are just bringing pickles and olives as well as cut up fruit--nothing exciting or innovative. I was this close to bringing a mammoth pan of green beans, though!

The mamas on this board are the best! Thanks for some much needed laughs and support--I think I would be seething by now otherwise. (The thing is, I think I am a nice person in most situations...) I totally want to rile her up too--the only problem with that is that it makes me look just as crazy. Conflicts like this are like an itch I just have to scratch. I'm going to take a lot of the advice, though, and imagine her as a mental patient--or maybe a five year old, though most of the five year olds I've known know better. I am planning to kill her with kindness, make a big deal about the green beans she makes (everyone knows we were planning to make them, so it will be obvious but not mean--I'll be complimenting), and if she asks why we didn't cook, I will gladly tell her why. (That I thought about it and agree that yes, Smiths should plan Smith gatherings, just trying to respect her wishes.) Luckily the party is at BIL's which is only 10 minutes away so if I need to leave I can!

MartiesMom2B
11-25-2006, 07:07 PM
I hope that the party went well. I'd be tempted to bring rolls and chuck them at your SIL and say "here's your d#mn food"

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

oliviasmomma
11-26-2006, 08:22 AM
SIL is by far, the most nervy person I've ever known. On our way to BIL's house, he called and DH can hear SIL in the background. SHe was wondering if we could bring the green beans we bought for the casserole because she realized that she didn't have enough!! I was so shocked and I though DH was finally going to lose it. He told BIL that we were not turning around and that we were not stopping at the store. Once we got there, I figured out that part of the issue is that there is a special "Smith" verson of green beans that involves bacon and sour cream--that is what SIL was making. I can't say I felt bad that the beans tasted awful (imagine a mixture of mushroom soup, sour cream, bacon and not enough green beans) and were hardly touched--HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, take that!

I know, very childish, but I don't care. The relish tray and fruit with dip that we brought was all gone, though. (double HA) Later on, I was talking to our nephew about his post-graduation plans (senior in HS). SIL came over about halfway though the conversation and told him to fill her in later on everything he was telling me--of course she couldn't stop canoodling with her latest BF long enough to talk to him herself or think to ask questions. Sheesh. Just one of many examples of how nuts she really is. At least she will be out of town for Christmas, so this is it, until next year!

elliput
11-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Maybe this latest BF will buy her flowers. 'Nough said? ;-)

psophia17
11-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Ohyum - bacon cream casserole! My absofreakinglute favorite casserole ever! :9

k-k-k-k-karma!

tarabenet
11-27-2006, 12:45 AM
You win my personal award for "Amazing Restraint" for not dumping her casserole over head!

snowflake20
11-27-2006, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't bring anything to her house from now on! She sounds very unappreciative. I don't even think you should even contribute $$$ if she is throwing a dinner party. If she wants to do it because she is "family" and you are not, then you are a guest and shouldn't have to do anything!

On second thought, you should bring a BIG bottle of wine next time she has an event. Then drink the whole bottle! Maybe she'll be more bearable if you are inebriated!!! :) :)

Fairy
11-29-2006, 11:38 AM
What is this Days of our Lives? See, I think it is, cuz I'm hooked. Please post updates as to the latest in her looniness so that I can get a fix. I'm off to make the popcorn . . .

matthewsmom
11-29-2006, 12:42 PM
That is hilarous. If I was drinking something I would have spit it all over the computer and keyboard. :-)