PDA

View Full Version : No he doesn't talk yet . GET. OVER. IT.

casey0729
11-28-2006, 02:35 PM
If one more person says "oh, I'm surprised he's not talking yet" I am going to snap. He'll talk when he is ready to talk. It involves synapses in the brain. I guess you wouldn't know that, being your brain is clearly lacking some!! DS is not slow, or delayed. HE'S NORMAL. Arrggh!!!! He does say Mama and Dada so get over it already!!

Sorry, just had to get that out.

KC

http://b2.lilypie.com/AWLtm5.png

jenmcadams
11-28-2006, 03:38 PM
My DS is the same :) It's definitely tough and I get annoyed when people ask about it. My DD was one of those super talkative kids who was speaking in 4-5 word sentences by 14 months. Luke is just mellower. Relatives are the worst b/c they remember Abbie and they keep asking if he's saying anything else (we have Mama, Dada and Baba (bottle) as our only words).

kijip
11-28-2006, 04:17 PM
No worries. People should leave you alone about it. My very talkative 3 year old who uses really long, complicated sentences barely said anything at all before he was almost 2. Lots of boys (and girls) don't start talking until they are a bit older and ready to put it all together at once.

avd3875
11-28-2006, 04:50 PM
You are absolutely right. It has to do with brain development. At this age the TRUE test of language ability is comprehension. As long as your DS understands things that are said to him (follows simple commands) he is likely doing just fine with his language development.

tarabenet
11-28-2006, 05:33 PM
He's a lucky little boy to have a mama who understands and isn't panicking over what other people say. Poop on 'em! This is one of those times when I wish I was one of thoze whiz-kids with snappy retorts. Something along the lines of "Oh, no, he's fine. Talks to us all the time. He just doesn't like you!" but a bit more subtle, would be ideal here!

scoop22
11-28-2006, 08:03 PM
i know exactly what you are talking about. some people just have no clue. ds is a big boy. so sometimes people look at his as though he is older and should be able to do more. the best was when a lady asked oh how old.. i said 6 mo. oh then he should be able to say his name RIGHT??? i was amazed. she must not have been around children much. i just have to smile and walk away to these type of people. it happens all the time to me. then i worry,.. but you are right HE IS NORMAL!!
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

nfowife
11-28-2006, 11:25 PM
We are in the same boat here, at 19 months. I did give in to the worry about 2 months ago and had DD evaluated for EI and she didn't qualify. She was slightly delayed, but still in the normal range. Then I took her to a private speech therapist for another opinion and she also said she didn't need therapy. And MIL is still pushing for me to get more opinions! She has made a lot of progress just in these last 2 months in terms of signing, getting her point across, and starting to repeat more things we say. She clearly understands when we tell her something though. Why don't people get that development is....well, developmental!

rlu
11-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Yup. DS had about 10 words and a bunch of sound effects at his 2 year appt. I read the entire list to the ped. He just looked at me, asked about DS's comprehension and told me not to worry. At 32 months he is a talker big-time.

Vent here anytime!

maestramommy
11-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Egads, I would snap too. Dora doesn't even say mama and dad yet (with meaning). She's a bit younger, but still.. Dh says she'll talk when she's good and ready, and feels like it. Just like every other milestone in her life. :-)

AngelaS
11-30-2006, 07:03 AM
My girls don't really talk until after 2. I just told people "walk at 1, talk at 2". :D

kedss
11-30-2006, 04:12 PM
big hugs, Mama-

my DS is really tall for his age, but isn't really verbal yet, and I get some strange looks from parents sometimes, and I'm just like, c'mon, he's not 3 yet, and I didn't start talking til 3. Just because he's big enough to be a 5 year old shouldn't mean squat!

hang in there!

stefani
12-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Ah, you can reply "Einstein did not start talking until he was three".

casey0729
12-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks for advice everyone. I know I shouldn't be defensive about it, but some days you totally feel like people's comments judge your parenting skills or something.

His comprehension is excellent so I know we have no problems. Maybe I should say to the next nosy person "Well, some people don't say much and others feel the need to babble endlessly about things that don't concern them." Or, I'll just pull out the Einstein comment.

KC

http://b2.lilypie.com/AWLtm5.png

SpaceGal
12-02-2006, 12:50 AM
I feel the same way. For some time a few months ago I was sooooo stressed out that DS wasn't talking much...he babbles a ton and refused to say things when we asked him to.

I've come around to the school of he'll talk when he's good and ready and there's nothing wrong with him.

I just don't know what some people are so anxious for kids to talk...it's great but then there's the "now he never stops talking." issue. You can't win. :)