PDA

View Full Version : Bad Timing! Sick kid and broken washing machine

KrisM
12-01-2006, 04:21 AM
On Tuesday, during a load of wash, the machine started smoking. Yes, smoking. I think it's just a belt, but neither DH nor I have had time to take the machine apart to look. That's the plan for the weekend.

So, at 4am today, DS is in bed with us and starts crying really hard. He then starts throwing up. All over his "must sleep with" pillow and our bed. No, I don't have an extra pillow for him. Yes, I will get one!!

What timing, huh? I hope the neighbor won't mind me using her machine to wash out the sheet and pillow case. I really don't want it to sit.

Not sure if DS is really sick or was just upset and crying so hard he gagged. He seems fine now.

Saartje
12-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Yikes! What rotten timing. I hope Andrew feels better soon — and I hope your washing machine does, too!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
12-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Yikes!! Hope you guys can fix your washer and neighbor doesn't mind. What rotten luck. Hope you're not frozen like us. If it makes you feel any better, last year in late december, the night of my sisters wedding, we were on our way back to the hotel after dinner and dd threw up in the car all over the back of the drivers seat and herself and the floor,oh-and the back of my head. I cleaned her up and dh cleaned the car. Felt bad for dh since it was freezing outside. Had to wash dd's coat and other clothes in the hotel tub and pray that they dried by morning.
Hope your ds is better.

Jen

R2sweetboys
12-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Man, that stinks!(literally :P ) What a bummer. I know how it is to NEED that special bear,pillow, or whatnot. I figured I'd share some info. on washing machines that the repairman told us when ours broke recently. He said that since ours was a GE(though only 4 years old!), you're most likely better off repalacing it because the repairs are so costly. Apparently the quality is not what it used to be. When I asked "So should we just invest in a Maytag?", he actually said no. I was surprised because I just assumed they had the better reputation. He said that he sees lots of problems on GEs and Maytags and they're often not worth fixing. He recommended Frigidaire and Whirlpool as being more reliable. As it turned out, DH took it apart and it was a minor fix with the stabilizing "things"-sorry I'm clueless! BUT, we almost went out and got a new one when it was actually fixable. I think I didn't give the guy enough info. on what seemed to be wrong with it and we never had him come out so I'll cut him some slack. I think what he meant though was that if it was a motor problem with these particular brands, they're cheaper to replace. I just figured I'd pass this along in case you find it's not the belt. Hopefully it's an easy fix for you as I'm sure you'd rather not buy a new washing machine right now. :)

I hope Andrew is feeling better as I type. Take care!

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

KrisM
12-01-2006, 09:10 PM
He seemed fine all day. I think he was just mad and crying hard enough to make him sick.

Thanks for the info on the repair. In case we don't get to it this weekend, we do have a repair guy coming on Monday. He only charges $35 for the service call, so it's worth finding out what's up at least. It is a GE, too, and only 6 years old!