PDA

View Full Version : I'm too fat! No, wait, I'm too skinny!

JoyNChrist
12-04-2006, 03:32 PM
I swear, if one more person comments on my pregnancy weight gain, I'm gonna sit on them.

In my family (where nobody's had a baby in like 8 years), everyone thinks I'm huge. Every time I see someone (especially my mother and grandmother), they have to rub my stomach and comment on "what a big baby that's gonna be!"

Then with DH's family (where they've already had 4 new babies this year), everyone thinks I'm too skinny. I'm constantly being asked if I'm sure that I'm eating enough, and if maybe I shouldn't ask my doctor just to be sure. They're probably just so used to seeing really large pregnant people - most of the women in his family are really short, so they start showing early and obviously.

For the record, I've gained 12 pounds so far (27 weeks along). I'm 6' tall, so it doesn't really show up that much - just a little pooch in the belly area. My doctor says everything looks great and the baby is growing fine.

I just don't know why people think that a pregnant woman's weight is a public topic of interest. Just leave me alone!!!

mommyoftwo
12-04-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm sorry. People have a tendency to make really asinine comments to pregnant women. I was in the show early and look huge camp and I only gained 6 lbs total because of pregnancy complications. When I was about 5 months pregnant people were always commenting on how I must be due any day. When they discovered I wasn't, they assumed I was having multiples. You can imagine what I looked like at the end. I made people nervous everywhere I went. People kept acting like the baby was going to pop out in front of them. Anyway, just try to ignore it and let the comments roll off your back. If people comment, just tell them that your doctor is pleased with your progress and leave it at that.

Jenn98
12-04-2006, 06:15 PM
I finally had to tell MIL in a not so nice way (after I tried to say it niccely several times) that no pregnant woman likes it when you comment on their size. And I actually let a friendship die down because the woman kept calling me "Fat Mamma" and I had actually lost weight at that point!

People are idiots. Just tell them that your ob/midwife said you were healthy and that's all that matters. (((hugs)))