PDA

View Full Version : I locked myself out of the house this AM with the twins still inside

SammyeGail
12-05-2006, 03:16 PM
I feel like this is better posted here instead of the lounge. I was so freaked out. It was time to give the boys breakfast, so at least they were in their highchairs. We have 2 small dogs who distract the boys alot while trying to feed them. I usually put them outside, they potty outside so they go out alot. I never lock the back door (doorknob), just the deadbolt when I come back in. I was tryng to coax one of the dogs out and the door sort of slowly swung shut. no problem, its not locked.....but it was. I felt my heart drop and my arms and face go numb as I tried the doorknob. Our backup plan for something like this is the garage door opener in our Explorer, it has a touch pad un-lock code that I've memorized. There is no garage door opener, anywhere in the truck. All my immediate neighbors work, but I remember one if them mentioning a few houses over is a retired couple. I run over there. I was ok until I started knocking on their door, then I just broke down. They were so sweet, I was thinking of calling a locksmith but they suggested the police, it was a great idea (small town) So I call 911 sobbing, etc and they said someone would be right over. 10 minutes later they show up!!! Then they had no equipment, not even a crowbar. One guy tried with his credit card. We have a daylight basement with a back door that needs a door, its got some framing around it and a big peice of wood covering it. We had picked up the new replacement door this past Sat. I was telling them we just need a chainsaw, get someone over there with one, etc. So one cop finds a tiny foldable shovel in his trunk and gets it in the old pet door from when we had our cats and yanks and yanks. the get the wood loose and eventually get it all off. I crawl thru the framing and get upstairs. When I came thru the basement the boys both gave me a huge grin from their highchairs. I just feel apart again. they had been watching TV (thank goodness it was one of those day I decided to turn it on) eating their Gerber puffs. I had been locked out over 45 minutes.

I'm still freaked (good thing I had some left over zanax from a while back).

DH had taken the garage door opener out of the truck Sat because the batteries were getting weak and he was going to replace them. I am mad about it but alot more grateful that everything ended ok, well except the gapping hole in the back of our house : ). Now DH has no excuses for not getting to doing the door, he has to now.

I want to do something nice for the couple down the street. I don't know what to do. Some sort of gift. I thought about a gift basket of jellies, cheese and crackers, but what if they can't eat that? they didn't have any holiday decorations up, would a real pretty wreath be nice?

Please help me with some suggestions, I want to get them something very special. They were so sweet to me and came by my house later to make sure I was ok and give me a hug.

Tks,

Samantha
Noah and Jonas
1 year 2 weeks old

pb&j
12-05-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm glad everyone's safe and sound. Someday you'll laugh about it. :)

Maybe you should get your neighbors a nice gift basket and a spare key?

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35775.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

sidmand
12-05-2006, 04:04 PM
How scary. I'm glad everything worked out okay.

Maybe a gift certificate to a restaurant for the couple?

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

kedss
12-05-2006, 05:06 PM
hiya-
I would present the neighbors with a copy of all of your house keys, and a really great pound of coffee or tea, and maybe flowers.

My almost three year old has locked me out of the house three times in the last two months, luckily I had given my neighbor who is usually home a copy of my key. So, he's usually only alone for a minute or two.

Big hugs, mama

Mommy Of A Little Angel
12-05-2006, 05:06 PM
I just wanted to say that I am so glad that everything turned out okay! I would have been freaking out as well. You handled it amazingly well. Those neighbors seem really sweet! I agree with PP - a restaurant gift card sounds really nice. Or send them a wreath/small tree center piece. The ones at LL Bean are so pretty:
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=7413&from=GM&noDept=1&guideId=7412&moduleId=7413&parentCategory=7412&feat=hp

So HUGS to you mama! And I am sure they will appreciate anything you send.

cmdunn1972
12-05-2006, 06:36 PM
You're not alone on the Mommy-Brain front! DS and I ran errands and did some shopping. While we were leaving (after dark), a car pulled into the space next to us. We were pretty far back in the parking lot, so it made me a little nervous. Apparently, I got in way too much of a rush over this and completely forgot to latch DS in his car seat! I drove off with him sitting in the seat with no latch. I NEVER EVER do this, so I was shocked and horrified with myself when I checked the rearview mirror and noticed the problem. (Luckily, I hadn't left the parking lot yet, so it was easy enough to pull over to correct the situation.) I got over immediately and latched the straps.

So, anyway, you're not alone feeling stupid tonight. The important thing for both of us is that no one got hurt before things were made right again.

BaileyBea
12-05-2006, 10:01 PM
I did the very same thing when DS was about 3 months old. Letting the dog out. DH came home and let me in about 30 minutes later. I was freaked out!

It will be funny one day..... ;-)

Just take the couple some homemade baked goodies and a nice Thank You card.

Glad everyone is safe.

Nancy

bubbaray
12-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out OK in the end.

I LOVE the idea of a wreath or tree from LL Bean!

Hugs to you -- what a day!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007