PDA

View Full Version : ARG!!! Nothing fits anymore

LarsMal
12-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Maybe this should be in the maternity clothes section, but it's more a gripe than a request for help!

I am growing OUT of all of my maternity clothes. Nothing fits anymore (except my two favorite Target shirts)! My pants won't stay up, my shirts won't stay down. I can feel my belly exposed between my shirts and pants- not an attractive feeling, and the AC is not needed in this cold weather! Luckily no one else can see it- unless I pick DS up, and then I show all the world my humongo belly. It's so uncomfortable that it's putting me in a bad mood. I feel like I'm constantly hiking things up and pulling things down.

I kind of remember this with DS, but it was the dead of summer and I was living in the same t-shirt and shorts with my bathing suit underneath, so it didn't bother me as much.

I still have about 5 weeks to go- what can I do?! I can't go buy a new wardrobe for 5 weeks of pregnancy. errr.....

jhrabosk
12-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Oh...big hugs! I feel your pain and remember it well. No fun!

Is there anything left in the Lands End clearance? I bought two pairs of the best stretchy maternity pants (which I also wore post partum for a short time) and two maternity oxford shirts. The pants came up over the tummy, so didn't have any trouble with falling down. Wasn't super cheap, but I didn't buy much and I wore it every day for a month or two.

Hang in there!

dcmom2b3
12-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Two words: belly bands. I had two in black, and while not cheap considering that they're just a tube of Lycra, they were cheaper than new preggo clothes. They were my favorite thing when I got to the "exposed belly-nothing-stays-where-it's-supposed-to" stage.

Hang in there!

Mary-Helen

elizabethkott
12-06-2006, 12:17 PM
oh do I feel you here...
Out of desperation, I went out to motherhood maternity and bought a *new* pair of jeans (it was depressing enough to contemplate buying a second pair of maternity jeans, and then even more depressing to have to buy the XL size because of my newly giamundo thighs...) but they have a drawstring as part of the belly band, are stretchy, and I have worn them pretty much non-stop, despite disapproving looks from my principal who can't seem to deal with the fact that there are 3 VERY pregnant women walking around the school still teaching right now.
In the end, SO glad I made the investment in the jeans. I feel so much more comfortable knowing I'm not flashing my theatre students with my oh-so-attractive stretch marks everytime I lift my arms up over my head. And my principal can just suck it if he doesn't like how I'm dressed. I'm NINE MONTHS PREGNANT for crying out loud!
and I needed new underwear and some bras anyway... how sad is that, when you don't fit into your UNDERWEAR any more?!
I'm SO done with this baby on the inside...
Sorry. Sort of hijacked here. :)
You'll feel better with new pants. Even if it is only for 5 weeks, it's hard enough at this point of the pregnancy, that you deserve to feel good about SOMETHING, imho. :)

saschalicks
12-06-2006, 12:41 PM
You know what if you go buy just a few things that make you feel better so what. I did that at 6 weeks to go and don't regret it. I felt so much better leaving my house b/c I was "comfier". Buy a pair of pants and a couple of shirts it will make you get through the holidays a little bit happier.

jgriffin
12-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Ditto! Although I was due in July last time, so I could get by with fewer clothes. I felt lousy buying maternity stuff a month before my due date, but I had been steadily growing out of my maternity clothes (and yes, it's a wonderful feeling, isn't it? ;)) and had just about nothing left to wear.

You may not wear them long, but that means they'll be in better shape for when you lend/give/sell them to someone else.

cmo
12-06-2006, 02:57 PM
The same thing happened to me, and I found a couple of new-to-me shirts to tide me over at a local children's clothing consignment shop that also carried maternity clothes. I didn't feel so bad paying those prices, and I was able to sell them back at a consignment sale I participate in a few months later.

SammyeGail
12-06-2006, 04:08 PM
About the last 6-7 weeks of my pregnancy I had one pair of pants I could tolerate a few hours. Panel jeans from Old Navy. 2 'out in public' shirts. I went to my OB once a week from 25 weeks on and I alternated shirts.

At about 4 weeks before the twins were born DH had to go buy me some maternity night gowns (XXL) at Motherhood Maternity. I completely filled them out. He got 3 at $29 each, but at that point not even my biggest old t-shirts would not fit anymore, not even rolled up my belly. Yeah, I was on bedrest and just stayed at home, but I couldn't sit around naked. I wasn't feeling so great knowing I sat around in a rolled up T and undies.

New underwear too. I think I gave up on underwear once I got the nightgowns.

GET some new clothes. You will feel so much better. Ignore the sizes, you're pregnant.

But hey, look on the bright side, at least you're not pregnant with twins : )!, 3 weeks before delivery my OB decided to 'measure' me out of curiousity and I measured 50 weeks pregnant, I was 30 weeks at the time.

I loved the Old Navy panel pants, they were the best, I do wish I had ordered a new pair a size up on-line. DO IT!!

Samantha

LarsMal
12-06-2006, 04:23 PM
If nothing else, your post made me laugh out loud!! 50 weeks?! Holy smokes!!! I don't mean to laugh at your expense, but I can't even imagine what a 50 week belly would look like. You poor thing! Awesome that you made it to 33 weeks with twins, though.

I am definitely going to buy some new clothes. DH and I have a holiday party this weekend, and I was already planning on looking for a new shirt for that, so now I'll just have to add a few more things to the list. He knows how bad it is because I just let it all "hang out" when I'm in the house and he's come home to some pretty interesting ensembles. He just laughs and I tell him to take my 30 pounds and put it in his gut and see what fits!!!

I think some full-panel jeans would help. Just enough to get through the last few weeks without constantly tugging.

Thanks!

oliviasmomma
12-06-2006, 07:22 PM
I had the same problem, I carried totally in front. It was also so embarassing, one morning I came into work to find an e-mail from my boss. She'd seen my stomach stick out a bit and wasn't sure I knew. I was mortified :( The best pants for me were the Old Navy non-stretchy belly, but with a top, stretch panel--KWIM? If I had it to do over again (and I hope I do one day...) I'd buy some of the maternity "modesty" layering shirts and wear them under everything. They stretch to fit, are extra long, and as a bonus, keep you warm. I wear mine every day now and I'm not pg.

aa2mama
12-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Oh, you have all of my sympathy right now. I have been uncomfortable in my clothes pretty much all of my pregnancy up until now. Everything was too big, too small, too short, etc. Recently I got some long sleeved t-shirts from Target that don't expose my stomach and some loungewear pants from their pajama/lingerie section (shh, don't tell. I wear them to work!)

Go, find something that fits! It's worth it.

ljackson
12-06-2006, 09:38 PM
If you are looking for a good value, comfy pair of pants that cover your belly and can be worn with pretty much anything, I can recommend these:

http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=79071200&category_Name=pants&Category_Id=1200&MasterCategory_Id=16

They come in black, brown and beige and I love mine!

SammyeGail
12-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks! It was pretty funny looking back on it. I gained almost 60 lbs and every other part of my body didn't get alot bigger, just that huge belly.

DH went to all my weekly appts, he would drop me at the door and then go park in the deck. I sat (slumped, whatever position I could get myself in, once I just slid to the floor and waited for DH to come help me up) on this bench inside the door till he got there. 6-7 minutes of flat out stares from people. Then it took about 10 minutes for him to get back from getting the car. Everyone asking me "WHEN are your due!?!" - "I hope your dr is going to induce you soon!!", bla, bla, bla. I hated the looks that made me feel like a freak. I got creative and had some fun toward the end. I told one little old lady "I don't know what my doctor is thinking, I've been pregnant for over a year, but he says the baby's not ready yet...." The look on her face was priceless : )!!

Samantha

LarsMal
12-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all of your posts on this. I went out shopping today, prepared to buy new tops AND pants. I got to Motherhood and as I was looking around I saw these "Belly Sleeves" kind of hidden in the store. I'm assuming they must be like the belly band a PP suggested. OMG! It has saved me! The woman told me how to wear it and I put it on while I was in the dressing room. I ended up wearing it out of the store! It's amazing. I have had it on for several hours now and I haven't had to adjust my pants or shirt once! My mood is even better!!!

I did buy some new tops, but I didn't end up having to buy any pants. If this thing works with the pants I have on, it will work with all of my maternity pants.

If you don't have a belly sleeve/belly band- get one! I think I can make it through the next month in both comfort AND style now. Of course the salesperson probably wishes I didn't see it. I would've spent more on pants than I did on this thing. Oh well!

:-)

Thanks again,

Julie