PDA

View Full Version : Update:Semi- B*tch, why do i waste time with doctors?

Aunt to sweet baby boy
12-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Update:

I went to my allergist today, who i have been seeing for years and who prescribed my allergy shots which i got for 3 years. He had me do a few tests and they were all ok. He has me taking Advair 2x per day and he gave me another fast-acting inhaler to use because the Albuterol makes me feel so light headed. He said to call him if i get the deep cough again and either way to go back in 3 weeks. At that time we can see if my cough is gone or not. He said that if it is not gone he would reccomend a sinus CT to see if there is a infection or fluid which is not visible without the CT. The allergist told me that a sinus infection can cause bronchitis like symptoms but it would not truely be bronchitis. I think i will try what he wants me to do and then in 3 weeks see the situation and what he says at my next appt.

Thanks for the advice and support!
__________________________________________________ __________________
I have been sick for about 4 months, since i started working with kids again. I have been diagnosed with chronic bronchitis but i was ok for a few weeks until monday. Of course i get sick two weeks before i am supposed to have surgery. Besides the breathing issues i feel ok, but i really need something because if i wait another week i will have bronchitis. I go to the DR today, tell her my sypmtoms and the first thing that she asks is if i have ever been diagnosed with asthma. I say no, no doctor has ever made that diagnoses. She gives me steroids (again) for my lungs, another advair as well as two nasal sprays and says to use my albuterol (inhaler). I dont get it, every time i tell her or my other doctors my symptoms the first thing that they ask is if i was ever diagnosed with asthma. When i say no they just go on, does this mean that i should have been diagnosed with asthma, are all of my doctors complete idiots? I am going to my allergist on Monday since my internist has not helped me and i am sick of going to the ENT every 2-3 weeks.

If i need medication all the time to prevent getting sick why won't you give it to me? Why do i need to get really sick before you will help me? If i have had consistent breathing issues for 4 months there must be something else going on, and i need to be taking something because i can not keep on taking steroids and other antibiotics for my entire life.

UGH, i really need to be better in a week and a half or my internist will not clear me for surgery. Sounds easy enough, i just happen to have three finals and a few HUGE assignments due next week, so not much time to sleep.

Thanks for listening yet again,

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

Marisa6826
12-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Ilana-

You really, *really* need to go to a pulmonologist. NOT an internist or an ENT, but a PULMONOLOGIST.

-m

dules
12-08-2006, 08:46 AM
So sorry, I hope you get better soon. This week I have again gotten "the crud" as I not so affectionately call it - nasty productive (but neverending) cough, sinus infection, difficulty breathing - had this from November - March last year. I am so not looking forward to going through this again. And I so don't want to go back to the same quacky doctors who took 4 months to find the problem last year. (They kept sending me home to take more Delsym and Mucinex, what I needed and finally cleared it up was some heavy antibiotic).

I hope you are cleared for surgery. Do you take vitamins? I'm thinking that might help me - next year - since the only time I haven't gotten this "thing" in the past 5 years was the year DD was born in November...and I was nursing and taking prenatals.

Mary

lovin2shop
12-08-2006, 11:53 AM
I think that the medication that you are taking is for asthma symptoms as well, so that may be why you've never really been evaluated for asthma. ITA on going to see a Pulmonologist. Not sure if this will make you feel any better, but I too once had a nasty case of Bronchitis that wouldn't seem to go away. I got the asthma questions also, and took medication similar to what you have. Once I finally kicked the Bronchitis, I never had any return symptoms of asthma. Hope you feel better soon!

dr mom
12-09-2006, 09:56 AM
You might discuss with your internist/pulmonologist the possibility of a chest x-ray (now) and spirometry testing (both now and later). Spirometry is a pulmonary function test to objectively evaluate your breathing. Typically it is done when you're feeling well, not sick, and is a simple way to help clarify whether you have asthma symptoms or not. Can be done as an outpatient and takes about 5 minutes.

It's always OK to ask for a second opinion. If you really feel you have been sick for 4 months with no resolution, then make an appointment with a pulmonologist now - don't wait for it to get worse.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
12-09-2006, 08:50 PM
I had a chest x-ray a month ago during my last bout with bronchitis. It came back and the results were that it showed chronic bronchitis and inflamation but no pnemonia.

I am going to the allergist on monday so i will ask him about the spirometry testing. I will also ask him for a referral to a pulmonologist, or i will call my ENT and ask them for a referral.

Thanks

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

dr mom
12-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Hope you are feeling better soon! :)